Sunline Castaway PE Braid

Discuss with people in the know your tackle related questions

Moderator: John Softly

God Benfrey
Beginner
Beginner

Sunline Castaway PE Braid

Post by God Benfrey » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:55 pm

Hi, I have just recently discovered sunlines castaway PE braid. Initially I was turned off by this product because of the fact that it only came in 10lb at the lightest, being the mad keen bream fisho that I am I was astonished to just recently hear that the 10lb has the same fine diameter as 4lb fireline. Does anyone else know if this is true or has used the sunline castaway :shock: :roll: 8) :mrgreen: Cheers,

Dave Young
Angler
Angler

Post by Dave Young » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:48 am

Hey Ben,

I've been using Cast Away PE for sometime now. I use the 10lb on my baitcasters and spin reels for bass fishing.

It really has a super fine diameter for its breaking strain. Personally I havent been able to fault it and would have no hesitation recommending it.

If you want to go lighter than the 10lb CastAway offer you could also look at another Sunline product called Super PE its just as good in my eyes but goes down to 6lb and comes in 150 and 300 spools.

Regards
Dave Young

God Benfrey
Beginner
Beginner

Post by God Benfrey » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:20 am

ty 4 the feedback, by the way is there a difference between sunlines PE Braid (Rock Fish, Super, Castaway) and others like Daiwa TD, Yamatoyo Famell. :mrgreen:

tourno_beginner
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Sunline Castaway PE Braid

Post by tourno_beginner » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:05 pm

simple answer yes there is a difference but the daiwa braid is ok but the sunline is my favorite braid behind the varivas... varivas braid is awesome it is the same diameter as the castaway however it goes down to 4lb from memory but the sunline castaway and varivas are my first 2 picks and well the super pe is also a good option that goes down to 6lb and up to 100lb

wayner
Beginner
Beginner

Post by wayner » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:47 am

being using the 10lb castaway for over 6 months now and found it very good.will be using it again when some reels need to be respooled with new line...

wayne

nitro
Beginner
Beginner

Post by nitro » Mon May 17, 2010 4:04 pm

Hi,

Been using the 10lb on my Stradic Ci4. Its unreal, I don't buy any other braid. Only problem I have encountered is it doesn't cast too well in windy conditions unlike fireline which has memory. Having said that, it casts beautifully on my zillion.

Leon

stik-ugly
Angler
Angler

Post by stik-ugly » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:20 am

I have been using 10 lb castaway on my 2500 sol and quantum ultra lite rod and the only complaint was I had a lot of problems with air knots until I went to 10 lb leader and used a slim beauty to join the two

Kyle101
Angler
Angler

Post by Kyle101 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:19 pm

I've played with the castaway on a mates rod in 10lb and it was great... Also I have 6lb super pe on my certate and I absolutely love it and I don't think that there is too much of a noticeable difference between them (I will probes get crucified for this but jmho)... Also I have never had an issue with wind knots on either of them.

Cheers Kyle

Paps
Angler
Angler

Post by Paps » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:43 pm

Kyle101 wrote:I've played with the castaway on a mates rod in 10lb and it was great... Also I have 6lb super pe on my certate and I absolutely love it and I don't think that there is too much of a noticeable difference between them (I will probes get crucified for this but jmho)... Also I have never had an issue with wind knots on either of them.

Cheers Kyle
There is a massive difference between them.

One is a 4 strand carrier braid and the other an 8!
Castaway is silky and casts a mile, also doesn't get the wind knots that Super PE can be prone to.

They are both great line but the Castaway is a class above.

people need to remember that Castaway is IGFA rated, meaning it is designed to break at or just under 10lb. Super PE will bream above it's stated breaking strain. So in actual fact 10lb Castaway is probably more comparable to a 4 or 6lb braid.