What a month it was!

This is the place to discuss all matters relating to BASS fishing and tournaments.

Moderators: Simon Goldsmith, chris byrnes, Elliot Fooks

Barry_O
Keen Angler
Keen Angler

What a month it was!

Post by Barry_O » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:48 am

I am wondering if anyone has experienced a month like I had in May.
It was my worst ever month since starting to fish the dams (over 15 years).
I spent 9 days on the water and fished the following locations in that time (sounds like a who's who of bass fishing!) Glenbawn, St Clair, Bjelke Petersen, Boondooma, Maroon, Moogerah, Somerset & Wivenhoe.
In that time I caught two fish and one of them was an eeltail catfish. The bass that I caught was from St Clair and caught early in the month.
On Glenbawn and St Clair I have recorded shows that make me shake my head and say how could you miss on those shows!
Bjelke Petersen still very dirty but I did find some small schools but could not get them to eat.
Boondooma the area that I fished had been whacked for two days before I got there. There was a tournament there and pretty much all of the fish caught came from this area.
Maroon almost a wipeout, wind came in early and was 40 + knots whitecapping by 8.30 am.
Moogerah no excuse for this one just no bites.
Somerset could not find anything that I could spend time on.
Wivenhoe was pretty much a searching mission and again nothing that wanted to make me spend time on them. Fished the edges and searched out in the deeper water but it did not happen for me.

June has started a better but still finding it dificult. I am finding fish but cannot get them to feed and my decks are littered with lures as I go through the kit bag trying to find something that will work. I might have to do a "Schoie" and bring out the fly gear again if has not gone rusty!

Barry O

Steve Morgan
B&B Admin
B&B Admin

Re: What a month it was!

Post by Steve Morgan » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:52 pm

Barry,

Take up bream fishing. Even on a bad day you get 30!

:)

SM
ABT
ph:(07) 3387 0888
fax: (07) 3887 0889

Tom_B
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Tom_B » Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:33 pm

Borumba wash fishing reasonably well in early May, I hadn't been out since then but Hinze fished really well last weekend.

cheers

chrisfish
Keen Angler
Keen Angler

Post by chrisfish » Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:43 pm

Barry ,
you just need to come and fish isis. I haven't been putting in big days, ususally only 2-3 hours, but got out there for 6 sessions in may and got over 20 bass 2 times. My last session was the worst - got on the water about 2pm fished for 1.5 hours for nothing - bright sunny day no clouds- swapped to surface and got a 40 to the fork first cast and then a 38 two casts later. Had 3 more hits but no fish , as it got darker i thought the surface would really fire but it didnt. Go Figure. If you are up this way I would be happy to take you for a fish.
Chris H
Never go to bed angry...
...Stay up and Fight

cuckoo4caca
Angler
Angler

Post by cuckoo4caca » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:40 am

Hi Barry,
I only had 2 boat game sessions in May and at Maroon...During lower light periods fish were taking suspend minnow/jerkbait. each session produced 20 - 30 fish. Typical winter pattern.
The remaining April/May sessions have all been shore game an really good. Our local creeks/rivers are loaded with bass from floods atm ( closed season now ).After the reaction bite tapered off, been "swimming small rubber jigs " - Zappu 1.3gram with various trailers and scoring well. Cool technique and also effective.
Come September leave your boat in the shed and go for some shore game... should be hot.
Cheers,
Luke

BOZ
Angler
Angler

Post by BOZ » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:14 am

spent a few days at wivenhoe searching for fish for the last bass eleccy round but only found schools of catfish so i thought id leave the last comp and study for an exam, also had the possibly for crap weather that blew in late on the comp. been a crap year after the floods in the dams although the rivers are going off. twin bridges near fernvale is holding very nice fish.

Fender67
Angler
Angler

Post by Fender67 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:04 pm

Hi Barry,
See you should of come to Macdonald regularly getting 10 bass over 42cm FL with another 20 legal bass thrown in per session of 4 to 5 hours !!
Paul

Barry_O
Keen Angler
Keen Angler

Post by Barry_O » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:04 am

Hi everybody thanks for the replies, unfortunately it doesn't make me feel any better!!
If anyone finds my mojo can you please send it back!

Steve - Rusty Water YUUUK!

Tom B - Mate can you point me in the direction that I am likely to find fish upstream or downstream and were you in the western or eastern arm. I don't want to exactly were just a general direction. Up until last week I had not been on the Hinze for 18 months. I was going back down there today but the wife is crook so did make it. I am hoping to make it later in the week.
On Borumba I think I might give it a miss now until early September. It has a reputation for going very, very quiet over winter.

Chris - Love the Isis but just a that bit too far away unless going for a few days. I am hoping to fish the Isis and Lenthalls in September or October.

Luke - Mate I just picked the wrong day to fish Maroon. Conditions were atrocious and I can't remember ever seein things much worse wind wise in all of the times that I have fished it.

Boz - I've been back to Wivenhoe since and managed a couple of fish off the edges but still can't get the schooling fish to open there mouths. I didn't make the Bass Electric as I had a grandson being christened on the day.

Paul - Thanks for the heads up I will think about getting up there for a couple of days when the wife get's better. I am going to do my best to make up there for the Bass Electric at the end of July.

Barry O

Tom_B
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Tom_B » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:43 pm

Have been launching at the temporary eastern ramp and heading towards the dam wall.

cheers

Adrian W
Angler
Angler

Post by Adrian W » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:35 pm

Hi Barry

Remenber the discussion we had at Moogerah? I was telling you of my inability
to catch fish in a tournament. If you recall, you said to me that i had lost my MOJO (I still have'nt found the bloody thing yet) :cry:
Well it appears that it may have been contagious :shock:, and I have inadvertently passed it on to you (Explains your run of bad luck).
Mate,my best advice is to get plenty of rest, drink lots of water and don't fish tournaments for 2 years. :wink:

Cheers Adrian

BOZ
Angler
Angler

Post by BOZ » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:56 pm

any good news with fishing wivenhoe lately? are the bass back in action or are they still sulking?