Lake Gregory

This is the place to discuss all matters relating to BASS fishing and tournaments.

Moderators: Simon Goldsmith, chris byrnes, Elliot Fooks

Fender67
Angler
Angler

Lake Gregory

Post by Fender67 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:23 pm

I have never been to this lake BUT have heard that it is hard to launch bigger boats there ? I have a 455 hornet wildfisher with 60 mercury ( weight 650kgs).
Is there a cement/bitumen ramp ?
Any other information would be great as well.
Thanks in advance
Paul

skin
Angler
Angler

Re: Lake Gregory

Post by skin » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:29 pm

G'day Paul
Was up there in the school holidays, its only a dirt ramp and not very steep, you may have to get the back wheels in the water a little but the bottom is solid. I launched my 5.2 Polar Kraft there fairly easy and they did run an AFC round there. Its definately worth the effort as their are some big bass in there. Google the dam for directions as their are no signs to tell you where it is.

Cheers
Mick

chrisfish
Keen Angler
Keen Angler

Post by chrisfish » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:59 pm

Paul,
I fished Lake Gregory this morn, i have a 475 Hornet trophy and while the water is low atm you can still launch ok. The rear rollers on my trailer were 20 cm out of the water so it takes a bit of effort to get the boat back on. It is fishing a bit tough at the moment, there are a few bass showing on the sounder but they are hard to tempt. I ended up fishing the left arm today and positioned my boat in 10-14 feet and had lots of bass under the boat but caught my fish out of the weed. I got a mid 40 on a slider and a 33 cm to the fork on fly. These were my only 2 legals but got 4 undersize as well for 4 hours of fishing. The wind was quite gusty today and swung around alot. I tried surface after seeing a bass 'blow up' twice on a feather drifting across the surface. I threw poppers and sammy's but only had one hit - even though the water temp is only 16 odd degrees I would still give surface a go - have had a few bumper sessions lately with water temps as low as 15.
Chris Horne
Never go to bed angry...
...Stay up and Fight

chrisfish
Keen Angler
Keen Angler

Post by chrisfish » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:03 am

Directions - turn off at voss road which is dirt then turns to bitumen as you go down a gully and as you head up the other side the turn off is on your right only about 1-200 meters from the gully. There are plenty of good bass in gregory 40cm+ and recently a 56cm to the fork was caught there.
Chris Horne
Never go to bed angry...
...Stay up and Fight

Fender67
Angler
Angler

Post by Fender67 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:20 pm

thanks Chris and Mick for the info.
Where do people stay whist doing the comps ?
I thought it was about time I come up to Bundaberg/Isis as all the Bundaberg area guys always come/surport the Lake Macdonald event (which is much appreciated !)
Paul

Barry_O
Keen Angler
Keen Angler

Post by Barry_O » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:36 pm

HI Chris,
I would be very interested in the accommodation situation as well, not for this year but I am going to make an effort next year. Is there anywhere with cabins and sufficient boat & car parking out on the lake's side of town?

Barry O

chrisfish
Keen Angler
Keen Angler

Post by chrisfish » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:41 pm

Guys, not sure about the caravan park that is on the highway just before you get to bundy. Some guys from work stayed there and said it was dodgy. Stuart France and Andrew Baunach stay in the caravan park in childers (last one as you head to bundy) and have said that it is ok and has room for boats. I will look into a few of the parks and get back to you on this forum in a week or so.
Chris Horne
Never go to bed angry...
...Stay up and Fight

AndyB
Angler
Angler

Post by AndyB » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:09 pm

Yeah its called the gateway motor inn at childers . Has always has had room for us,we had two boats at the first isis round this year and they fit us in easy . About a 25min drive to the dam . cheers andrew b

Barry_O
Keen Angler
Keen Angler

Post by Barry_O » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:21 am

Thanks Chris,
It is much easier when your there to see what is available.
Andy,
What is the room cost?
The motel sounds good for one night but need to be able to cook if your going to be there for 3 or 4 nights.
I would look at staying up an extra couple of days when I am going up.

Regards
Barry O

AndyB
Angler
Angler

Post by AndyB » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:03 am

Barry cant really remember how much i know it was pretty cheap , i have only ever stayed the one night and just got dinner in town . I know the motel does catering if that helps .

Fender67
Angler
Angler

Post by Fender67 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:58 pm

Just a thought I had, are there any time restrictions on the lake (as in opens 6am closes 6pm ?) or gates that open and close at certain times ??

Barry_O
Keen Angler
Keen Angler

Post by Barry_O » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:47 pm

Thanks Andy for the info.
Paul,
Sorry for jumping in on you post mate, but I wanted the same info as I have been planning on a trip up there next year.
There are no gates and to my knowledge no restriction on entry.
Last time I was there I came up from Maryborough and was on the water about 5.45 am.

Regards
Barry O

Awoonga
Angler
Angler

Post by Awoonga » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:00 am

Paul
No gates, No toilets, No Ramp ,Not even a sign on the main road in Just Bass, l fished it in the Skeeter a couple of weeks back, l love the place