AFC Series 8 - It's ON.

This is the place to discuss all matters relating to BASS fishing and tournaments.

Moderators: Simon Goldsmith, chris byrnes, Elliot Fooks

Steve Morgan
B&B Admin
B&B Admin

AFC Series 8 - It's ON.

Post by Steve Morgan » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:36 pm

AFC Fans,

After a lot of juggling, we're gearing up to film the 8th season of AFC.

Lots of changes this year - there's a new format, plenty of new faces and a change of station. Unfortunately, BARRA is being rested this year for various reasons. We hope to get the BARRA anglers involved again in the future.

You should be able to see AFC from the 6th of November 2011 on Channel 9. Timeslot will be confirmed closer to release date.

It'll be a 'Match Fishing' format, where teams fish head-to-head in a shorter time frame with a few twists thrown in. With the new format, there's no actual 'weigh-in' sequence that we shoot, so we're not publicising locations fished or times. When we've done that there always seems to be a few anglers wanting to turn up and 'show the AFC guys how it's done' who enjoy smashing the fish the day before (and even during filming, believe it or not) and bragging about it online.

As well as encumbents Matthew (Number 1 on the Water, baby) Mott, David Green, Steve Kanowski and Wayne Beazley, you'll be seeing Wayne Reed (2010 BASS Pro GF) and Gregg Flett (2009 BASS Pro GF) for the first time.

This year, only the winning team retains their AFC positions, so moving forward, it opens up more slots for the up and coming ABT talent.

If you were ever wondering about the strength of the Aussie dollar and its effects on your sport, it's interesting to note that there's zero sponsorship from the fishing tackle industry this year for AFC. The sales that are going overseas are directly affecting their marketing budgets, making it harder for them to support local TV shows like this.

This isn't a shot at those companies or local consumers, just an observation of a real effect of the knock-on effects of sending your money OS.

Regardless, the anglers are getting excited and I think that the changes will be a welcome improvement to the show.

Cheers,

Steve Morgan
ABT
ph:(07) 3387 0888
fax: (07) 3887 0889

Fender67
Angler
Angler

Re: AFC Series 8 - It's ON.

Post by Fender67 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:37 pm

Well done on getting a series going Steve, pity about the barra BUT thats how things are. The new format will make it interesting !

clutter
Angler
Angler

Post by clutter » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:35 pm

Well that answers that. I came in here specifically to ask the AFC question and it's already answered. Looking forward to seeing the new format. Well done Morgo and crew.

Mick

BOZ
Angler
Angler

Post by BOZ » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:07 pm

If you were ever wondering about the strength of the Aussie dollar and its effects on your sport, it's interesting to note that there's zero sponsorship from the fishing tackle industry this year for AFC. The sales that are going overseas are directly affecting their marketing budgets, making it harder for them to support local TV shows like this.

This isn't a shot at those companies or local consumers, just an observation of a real effect of the knock-on effects of sending your money OS.
so its okay for these companies to rip us off until we find a better price overseas.

Breamster
Angler
Angler

Post by Breamster » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:36 pm

Hi Steve,
I was wondering if your going to run the already telecasted shows on youtube again as I was working on the weekend and missed it?

Regards Breamster

eddystone
Angler
Angler

Post by eddystone » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:07 pm

Breamster wrote:Hi Steve,
I was wondering if your going to run the already telecasted shows on youtube again as I was working on the weekend and missed it?

Regards Breamster
+1 although I wasn't working! Would love to see it on youtube!
www.sportsfishtasmania.com

"The Home Of Fishing In Tasmania"

Steve Morgan
B&B Admin
B&B Admin

Post by Steve Morgan » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:50 pm

http://www.youtube.com/user/AFCoutdoors ... dO5MN9ad3k

Thanks for not contributing to our ratings!!

:)

SM
ABT

rhino4100
Angler
Angler

Post by rhino4100 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:06 pm

We didn't have to watch it Steve, Motty was kind enough to let us know he won Saturday night, without us even asking. Thanks Motty.

Breamster
Angler
Angler

Post by Breamster » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:04 am

Thanks Steve for putting it up, very interesting format.

Thanks Breamster :P

eddystone
Angler
Angler

Post by eddystone » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:04 pm

Missed it again morgo...! :oops:

Any chance you can YouTube episode 2???

Steve Morgan
B&B Admin
B&B Admin

Post by Steve Morgan » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:13 pm

Eddy,

You only missed it because it's still 1981 in Tassie.

I'm sure the guys will get it up at some stage.

Cheers,

SM
ABT

eddystone
Angler
Angler

Post by eddystone » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:57 pm

Steve Morgan wrote:Eddy,

You only missed it because it's still 1981 in Tassie.

I'm sure the guys will get it up at some stage.

Cheers,

SM
If you upload it we get in to colour, rather than black and white on tv :oops: :lol:

AndyB
Angler
Angler

Post by AndyB » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:47 am

Was just wondering how come you guys are measuring to the tip and not the fork ?

Steve Morgan
B&B Admin
B&B Admin

Post by Steve Morgan » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:01 am

Short matches (only 4h fishing) - to give the guys every opportunity to get a limit.

Whole bag is DQd if any fish measure under.

10 for a win.

If you lose, I point for each legal fish up to 4 (bass) or 5 (bream).

2 points for big fish.

Cheers,

SM
ABT

eddystone
Angler
Angler

Post by eddystone » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:36 pm

Eta on you tubing? 8)

Steve Morgan
B&B Admin
B&B Admin

Post by Steve Morgan » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:48 pm

After I've sold all of the Sponsorship for the 2012 season.

SM
ABT

eddystone
Angler
Angler

Post by eddystone » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:00 am

eddystone wrote:Missed it again morgo...! :oops:

Any chance of doing the same forepisode 3??? :oops: :oops:

amBASSador
Beginner
Beginner

Post by amBASSador » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:51 pm

Dear Steve,

Thank you and your team for the production of the AFC series 8.

I just finished watching an episode on channel 9 today and wanted to give some constructive feedback.

The new match fishing format is ok. But I would love to see more team and boats on the water. Maybe 5-10 boats and split the anglers up so its just the Pro and the cameraman in the boat. Man vs Fish. This format would give you more content to air on TV and will allow a better chance to builder angler profiles. Bass fishing in Australia is not as mainstream as in the USA. I would love to see the AFC has the potential to be as good as ESPN BASS series or the FLW tour in the USA.

Media training for the Pros would be great. They are all great anglers and extremely talented with a rod but most are lacking media training or skills except Mathew Mott. Better media training for these anglers will help attract sponsors and can help sell more fishing products and make for better entertainment. Maybe some side stories about the Pro's when they are not fishing. What is their day job? What is like a being a How some of their statistics? How do they go about preparing for a tournament? Maybe some Pro Tips? E.g. How to fish topwater? How to tune a spinnerbait?

Bring back the weigh in. It was great to see what the Pro's can catch. Who cares if the locals catch more or bigger fish. Good for them give them some ABT paperwork and get them to fish tournaments and comps.

Bring back Lake data. It gives the viewer a better understanding of the conditions the Pros face and will help intrepet the results at the end of the end of the comp.

Boats. Get Bassboat Manufactures to supply their boats that they can sell at the end of the season.

Sponsorship. Look for sponsorship outside of the tackle industry. It looked a bit ordinary seeing unwrapped boats as compared to series 7. Team Mercury's boat looked like Mathew Motts personal boat. How about wrapping the Ford Ranger as well. I'm just saying the product looks a bit low budget with unwrapped gear and a couple of blokes with off the peg BCF tournament shirts.

Lake Information. History of the lake, what is it used for? get someone from the local stocking association to talk about the stocking programme. Type of structure found in the lake.
Restricted Area. I found this a bit silly. Is this to build suspense?
Television Production. Steve you do a great job hosting the show and enjoy your insightful commentary but I am not a fan of the new voice over bloke.
Maybe new Dams and Lakes. Get someone from the local tourism authorities to promote the region.
I know you and your team work very hard to produce this show and it all cost money especially in these tough economic times. I understand you need to have a product you can sell, DVD’s and television advertising. We know channel 9 has a limited budget and that the timing has to fit in with the ABT tournament calendar.

Thanks again,

amBASSador

eddystone
Angler
Angler

Post by eddystone » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:11 pm

eddystone wrote:

windloopa
Beginner
Beginner

Post by windloopa » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:19 pm

amBassador,

glad you enjoyed the series ,but most of your comments COST money ! All the sponsors last year and previous years were global companies and globally they are all doing it tough and that is part of the reason why boats and trucks etc have not been wrapped and the production does not have the funds to "bling" it up, further to this the Australian market has a long way to go to be anywhere near BASS,FLW with ESPN coverage etc , The USA has a poplulation of 260 million plus so naturally it will be much bigger than our fishing market.

As for grooming our guys who qualified for the AFC to be "better" for TV ? mate have you watched much FLW or BASS ? some of those pros could make watching paint drying more fun.....everyone can't be "Jim Carrey" and that is human nature , what i can say is ,on the AFC all anglers have been sportsmanlike unlike the recent "fish-off" at the Toyota Texas bass classic.....

The new format could do with some re-jigging and i also did like Matthew Campbell's commentary , but considering the current climate , Morgo and co. did a good job.

cheers

Dave.

Koel
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Koel » Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:00 pm

I enjoyed it. It is like the 20twenty version of tournament fishing. Personally I would rather watch test cricket ( meaning longer format) but if it attracts interest and gets good ratings then it is working.
Like I said I still enjoyed it. Good job fellas.
Regards,
Craig

eddystone
Angler
Angler

Post by eddystone » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:26 am

eddystone wrote:

And 4 ????

amBASSador
Beginner
Beginner

Post by amBASSador » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:31 pm

YouTube killed the video store.

Don't post the episodes on YouTube as you need the money from DVD sales to reinvest into the show to make a better a better show.

Only put the smallest clips on YouTube and use them as advertisement to get people to buy the DVDs.

amBASSador

eddystone
Angler
Angler

Post by eddystone » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:27 pm

amBASSador wrote:YouTube killed the video store.

Don't post the episodes on YouTube as you need the money from DVD sales to reinvest into the show to make a better a better show.

Only put the smallest clips on YouTube and use them as advertisement to get people to buy the DVDs.

amBASSador
Or make it available to a world wide audience for free, increasing the exposure for sponsors :idea: :idea: :idea: :roll:

ponchy
Beginner
Beginner

Post by ponchy » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:56 pm

Hi steve

Are you able to tell me if or when series 8 will be comming out on dvd?

Cheers Chris