Battery Setups for Bass Electric Boats

This is the place to discuss all matters relating to BASS fishing and tournaments.

Moderators: Simon Goldsmith, chris byrnes, Elliot Fooks

Battery Setups for Bass Electric Boats

Postby Barry_O » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:40 am

I have always been a great believer in the KISS theory when it comes to set up but have got to thinking that maybe I have been missing something in the developement of battery setups for our Bass Electic boats.
My outlook has been to stick with the standard dual 12 v connected batteries to get my 24 v setup but I wondering if there is a better more cost effective approach. My set up revolves around 2 x 12 v 120 amp hour deep cycle batteries for each electric motor.
I know there are guys out there that have put a lot of time and effort into researching what is available and what is becoming available and I would appreciate comments about what they have found.
I guess on my limited knowledge the lithium batteries would be the ultimate but the cost factor takes that completely out of consideration for me anyway.
I have heard recently of the use of 4 x 6V 220 amp hour batteries (interconnected to get 24 v) and if there is anyone out there using this sytem could they advise on how it is working and in reality can you extrapolate the 220 amp hours out to mean almost double running time compared to my 120 amp hour system.
Also what are the brands of battery available and the cost involved in this set up. If possible comments on the expected battery life of this system

Regards and look forward to hearing comments
Barry_O
Barry_O
Keen Angler
Keen Angler

Re: Battery Setups for Bass Electric Boats

Postby ricks » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:03 pm

Hi Barry

it's easy, have one 48volt Parsun on the rear with a high speed prop to drive the boat and let you're front motor do what it was designed for,fishin.
One Parsun 5hp + you're boat = 3rd fastest boat.

this setup will become even more efficient as lithium technology progresses

Ricky
ricks
Beginner
Beginner

Postby BOZ » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:40 am

Barry, i think alot of us are in the same position as you with motor and battery setups. I'll probably need to step up soon with a new combo of batteries and motor to keep up with the torqeedos and parsuns. Got 3x120ah batteries with just a 86lb and 54lb on front. Any idea on cost of 5hp parsuns ricky and any comparisons to the torqeedo. Also hows the battery usage too?

Boz.
BOZ
Angler
Angler

Postby Barry_O » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:10 am

Sorry guys I am looking at battery setups not motor setups. As I said I recently heard of 6V motorcycle batteries being linked and it (supposedly) made available 220 amp hours of operation.
My interest here is particularly for use on Big W and the bigger dams and having the range that such (if available) a setup (220 amp hours) would give.
Ricky,
Lithium batteries, don't you mean cheaper? I think they are already efficient but the cost at the moment is impossible for me to to justify. Maybe if I was 20 years younger and could get the cost over time benifit!

Barry_O
Barry_O
Keen Angler
Keen Angler

Postby Blacksheep » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:02 am

Barry,
I think Steve Eldred at Battery Traders would be one of the best people to talk to about it. I'm running 120ah Amptechs in mine and they seem to do the job. Other mates with 80lb motors are running same batts as a straight 24V setup. I'm sure Steve will give you the heads up on the 6V power/benefits.

Cheers
Shane
Blacksheep
Keen Angler
Keen Angler

Postby ricks » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:46 pm

boz
Parsun has 1 x 5hp in stock ( demo model ) $3600, I have used the 4hp in comps at big w and it ran fine i just limited myself to
15-20 minutes at full throttle at the start and then when you back off a little bit it will run all day,
I don't want to go into the performance differences beetween the Parsun and the torqeedo, i will say that Andrew Low has recently got a 5hp for his 3.7mtr quintrex explorer ( 6 batteries in boat fully decked out 10+ kmh ) and I have seen witch one is tougher.

yes Barry the price off lithium batteries is the only thing holding me back , if we could half our battery weight with lithium batteries
it would be great.
I'm with Shane, Steve from battery traders is the best man to talk technical.

Ricky
ricks
Beginner
Beginner

Postby JAS » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:09 pm

Hi Barry,
I have a 48v system made up of 8 x 235amp Trojans in 6v. If you are looking for distance and your boat can handle the weight then 6v are the way to go. I have had the 9hp Torqueedo on two different boats and battery set ups. First boat was a 3.75mtr with 4 x 120amp amptech in a 48v series. I got a range of around 10klm before the motor would start to cut out. The current boat with a 6v system and 8 x 235amp in it I have done 33klm in big W with 55% battery capacity left and was coming back to the ramp at 9klm/hr. The problem with all electric boats is the weight verses the speed. The problem is the 6v, 235amps still weigh the same as a 12v 120amp. If you are not worried about possibly losing a little speed you will get more distance out of the 6v. I hope that has helped answer your question.
Cheers,
Jesper
JAS
Angler
Angler

Postby Francey » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:57 pm

I run 4 x 6v 220amp super charge batteries on my 6 hp torqeedo and the range is excellent,enough for any the dams we fish Barry, I know some guys run 2x 12v but they have a back up two. I prefer the 6v for my torqeedo but just run 2x12v for my 80 lb minnkota and lasts all day too and I run both motors sometimes but I do back off on the torqeedo after a bit so it lasts all day.

Cheers stu
Francey
Angler
Angler

Postby Barry_O » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:49 am

Hi Stu and Jesper,
That's the answers I have been looking for. Can I ask a couple more about these batteries.
Are you both using Trojan batteries and what model are they? I would like to have a look at the specs on these (eg size, weight etc).

I usually carry an extra set on dams like Big W and that's what I am trying to assess is there any advantage in changing to the 6 V system.

Barry _O
Barry_O
Keen Angler
Keen Angler

Postby JAS » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:32 pm

Hi Barry,
The 6v I use are Trojan 105 Mileage Master. They are 260mm L x 180mm W x 250 High and around 30kg each. The main advice when purchasing them is to make sure they are out of the same batch and time they were made. This ensures the batteries are the same and will last you a long time. I have had mine for two years now and they get a hammering each week and they are still going excellent. If you have any more question let me know.
Cheers,
Jesper
JAS
Angler
Angler

Postby Francey » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:25 pm

Barry, my 6v are Super charge Amptech gc2-6v they 260L x 180w x 250h
Francey
Angler
Angler

Postby Fender67 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:45 pm

Hi Jesper.
How long have you been using the trojans for ?
I found my first set ( 10 years ago) lasted 5 years then next set have only lasted 3 years and now I have gotten just over 2 years over this set.
Someone said the company was using a different quality of lead therefore lower lasting ?
Have you found the same thing ?
Paul
Fender67
Angler
Angler

Postby JAS » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:09 pm

Hi Paul,
I did hear some time back that Super Charge batteries moved there manufacturing from the USA to the Philippines and as a result they are not as good as they were. I am not sure if that has change back now. I have Super Charge Amptech in 12v for my front motor and they are made in the US. I have had my Trojans for 2 years now and they are going very strong still. I went with the Trojans on the bases of Steve's advice (battery Traders) due to the high amp draw of the Torqeedo 9hp. Only time will tell on how long I will get out of them but I am hoping for at least 5 years based on there price.
Cheers,
Jesper
JAS
Angler
Angler

Postby peteo01 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:24 am

Hello Barry,

I just picked up a set of Trojan 4 x 6volts/230 amp hours with cables under $900, talk to Steve at Battery Traders he was very helpfull.

Cheers

Mark P.
peteo01
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Barry_O » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:36 am

Thanks guys for all of the helpful information.
I will look go and talk to Steve in the near future.
I know this may sound like a silly question would I need to buy a specific 6V charger or can I "link" the batteres to make up 12v and then use my 12v chargers to recharge them??

Barry_O
Barry_O
Keen Angler
Keen Angler

Postby Graham Dodds » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:15 pm

Yeah Barry just leave the 6v batteries hooked up in series & use your 12v charger.

I've been using a couple of 6v 220AH Federals for my 12v RT55 on the front of the Spanny Fly for a couple of years. Like everyone else has said, it's definitely the way to go to prolong battery life. I can fish a 2 day event (e.g. Toonumbar) or something like the Bass Classic at Clarrie for weekend without having to recharge. I've even done some all night sessions on Awoonga, including holding in a stiff breeze for a couple of hours before dark with the motor going at 50%, then trolling on the leccy for 6-8 hours in the dark without any sign of battery power loss.

The other thing I've noticed of late is how most battery shops are now aware of "electric trolling motors" & their power requirements. Sure sounds like Steve at Battery Traders has the good oil on what's needed but being on the Goldy I've found a local battery shop & the owner is also all over our needs & offers very competitive prices.

Now to save some pennies so I can upgrade to 24v to keep up with you guys so you get a whiff of the crumpets & peanut butter!

Cheers,

Doddsy
Doddsy
Graham Dodds
Angler
Angler

Postby Barry_O » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:02 am

Thanks for that Graham,
It takes away another large cost if I decide that I am going to go down that track.

Barry_O
Barry_O
Keen Angler
Keen Angler

Return to BASS Tournaments and Fishing