RED TAILED BASS

This is the place to discuss all matters relating to BASS fishing and tournaments.

Moderators: Simon Goldsmith, chris byrnes, Elliot Fooks

Ian
Angler
Angler

RED TAILED BASS

Post by Ian » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:51 pm

RED TAILED BASS
With all the controversy over poorly presented red tailed bass at the bass electric comps this year and in the past we need to find a way to stop this happening in the future and maintain the friendly relaxed atmosphere of these comps my suggestions are as follows

1.Make it a compulsory condition that anglers will not be allowed to weigh in distressed fish
2.Competition organizers use their discretion as to condition of fish at weigh in (severely stressed, moderately stressed, minimally stressed) their decision is non refutable and final
3.Any angler found to be regularly in breech of these rules will be disqualified from future events

Interested in your thoughts

Ian

elephrez1
Beginner
Beginner

Re: RED TAILED BASS

Post by elephrez1 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:36 pm

i think that is a great idea, i think it would hard to police or find a constant consistency over all electric comps.

Bias or unfair decision will be plenty. its fair enough it the fish has red fins and are all tethered thats very obvious, but what about the ones that aren't discoloured and don't swim away properly, people will have to dob others in unless the person who is running the comp, watchers every fish swim away, big job. i can see this getting messy.

i do agree that something needs to be done for the future of this sport.

this is only my opinion will be interested to see others.

peteo01
Beginner
Beginner

Post by peteo01 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:28 pm

In light of this ongoing debate as we head to what should be the high point in our season, I strongly agree that we should introduce some new rules as suggested!
I have gone back through 8 years of Photos some with 4 x 50cm+ fish from Wivenhoe in my well for many hours and NO fish with any sign of the stress we have been debating.
With this in my mind I can only be lead 2 possible conclusions, 1. the live well in question is not off a standard that meet the minium required to fish in an ABT competition and should not be permited fish or 2. There are some very dishounorable individuals fish our compititions and they should not be permited to fish!!

Lets face it we are not fishing for cattle station or trips to the USA, if I cannot look at the guy next to me at the start of competition and think that I can win today or trust my fellow anglers, what are we all doing?

Steve and Simon I understand how difficult this is for the ABT because without fact how can you take action, but I think with next year in mind we should have a look at this before this spirals any further.

With next year in mind a subject I was going to post after the finals was that few of the senior gents get involed to help the ABT facilitate these changes, venue/calendar selection for 2013...

Mark Petersen

Fassbasstd
Keen Angler
Keen Angler

Post by Fassbasstd » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:08 am

Having successfully ran numerous elec comps at Lake McDonald, in light of the concerns about distressed fish etc., I think we should not have "live" ''weigh ins'' at all.
It's a shame that comps are being spoiled by a few individuals with either poor ethics or equipment. To solve these problems, here's a few, by no means new, ideas.
Go back to the days of measuring fish, not weighing them. (The comps are only run by volunteers who are not paid ABT officials. They should not have to be responsible for distressed or dying fish, or anglers not having the correct ethics or equipment.)
Each angler could be given a numbered and dated fish measuring ruler or brag mat, a key tag.
Each angler must have with them, a digital camera or a smart phone.
Each fish caught must be clearly photographed on the mat or ruler with the tag, number and date in focus.
Its then up to each angler to present these photos to the comp organisers for judgement.
If an angler does not have a camera or smart phone, they don't enter the comp.
This works in the Barra comps, so why would it not work in the elec comps.

Andrew350
Angler
Angler

Post by Andrew350 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:41 pm

It wont work in electric comps as in previous posts its been thought that fish are being caught at other dams an weighed in on comp day. So it would then just be a photo of a bass caught elswere an its photo taken the day of the comp after its been transported there an kept alive. An live weigh ins are my favorite part of the comp,unless i dohnut. Who doesnt want to show off a winning bag in front of the other competitors ? An it gives everyone a chance 2 see other anglers fish,its all part of the specticle. Im not sure what the majority think this is just my opinion.

UdlMan
Angler
Angler

Post by UdlMan » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:50 pm

Re-Read Mal's post Andrew.

I think It is a good idea. Who these days doesn't have a digital camera or mobile with a phone on it.

If they didn't have a digital camera, I am sure you could pick one up for the same cost as a 1/2 dozen packets of plastics or a couple of Jackalls.
Proud to be assocated with EcoGear. The benchmark for all soft plastics. ~<><

Andrew350
Angler
Angler

Post by Andrew350 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:07 pm

Just for u i re read the post. Maybe you should re read it ? Firstly i dont mention noone has cameras or phones, secondly if u actually read it properly you wil realise what im getting across is fish that arent caught on the day or even at that dam can stil be photographed dead or alive ? Its a picture how do you no its even living ? Once again my thoughts though.

chrisfish
Keen Angler
Keen Angler

Post by chrisfish » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:01 pm

Totally agree that cheating/distressed fish needs to be addressed.
Only problem i can see is what if you legitimately catch a bass that has red tail /Fins?
I know that after the floods of the past few years alot of people helped recapture bass down stream and return them to the dams. these fish, having gone over the dam walls, would have been damaged.
Yes i know that they all should have healed up by now. I just wanted to point out that there may be occasions where damaged fish may have not caused by the angler cheating. We don't want anyone to be Wrongly accused because everyone starts thinking damaged fish = cheat

consistently damaged Fish is another matter. ..
Chris Horne
Last edited by chrisfish on Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never go to bed angry...
...Stay up and Fight

Andrew350
Angler
Angler

Post by Andrew350 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:22 pm

I agree absoloutly. There are times fish may look a bit ordinary...... But everytime you get a big fish ? That is an issue. Good luck all at the GF

BOZ
Angler
Angler

Post by BOZ » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:03 pm

out of curiosity can the red tailed bass have contracted myxomatosis from lures made with rabbit fur as ive seen rabbits after they've contracted the disease and theyve had acute conjunctivitis and possibly blindness and visible lesions similar to the photos of these red tailed bass.

Fassbasstd
Keen Angler
Keen Angler

Post by Fassbasstd » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:41 pm

Haha, nice one Boz, but i think it depends on what side of the fence the rabbits come from.