ABT Bass Pro- Permitted rigs?

This is the place to discuss all matters relating to BASS fishing and tournaments.

Moderators: Simon Goldsmith, chris byrnes, Elliot Fooks

BassmanSRC
Angler
Angler

ABT Bass Pro- Permitted rigs?

Post by BassmanSRC » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:23 pm

Hi Folks,
I am wondering what the ABT and other anglers think about the use of various fishing methods which use multiple (2) lures on one line, and whether these are allowed in Bass Pro tournaments?
There are many methods which utilise the use of 2 lures (or fly) on one rod. These include but are not limited too- drop shotting, lure with trailer fly(or unweighted plastic) and more recently the "alabama" or umbrella rig (rigged with 2 plastics & 3 colorado blades) to meet DPI/fisheries rules.
I am wondering what ABT and other anglers views are on the legitimacy of using these and similar rigs which utilise 2 hooks/lures per fishing rod in a tournament situation. I remember a tournament where the ABT said umbrella rigs with 5 lures were not permitted which is right as it breaches the DPI/fisheries regulations, what about 2 hooks?
Is using more than 1 lure with a maximum of 2 permitted, does it sit well with other anglers?

After your views.

regards
Steve

Andrew350
Angler
Angler

Re: ABT Bass Pro- Permitted rigs?

Post by Andrew350 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:35 pm

Hi steve
An alabama with 2 plastics is fine as your only using 2 hooks on the rig which is permitted in nsw. Realy its no different 2 a spinnerbait an trailer with a plastic on it. As far i know 1 lure is considered 1 hook. Im not 100% sure but i have looked this up months ago when the rig first hit the US. Just try 3 willow blades an 2 plastics instead that is legal an puts off a whole lot of vibration. Hope this helps you.

JAS
Angler
Angler

Post by JAS » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:34 pm

Hi,
In QLD you are not even allowed two hooks per line. Here is what is on the DPI web site,

Fishing lines

A person must not set a fishing line as a cross-line or use more than six fishing lines or set lines alone or in combination. Only one hook or an artificial fly or lure can be attached to a fishing line. Anyone using a set line must be no more than 200 m from the line.

You could rig it up with one plastic and the rest hookless or blades, the only thing I see would be a lot of hits and low hook up rate. Keep us posted if you give it a go
Regards,
Jesper

skin
Angler
Angler

Post by skin » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:25 am

Hi Guys
Not sure about Qld rules but the way I read the NSW rules are 2 hooks per line, but, 3 trebles on a lure is considered as one hook. Therefore I would think that an Alabama rig is a lure and you could legally have three trebles ( or I assume single hooks ) attached.
My thinking is that the Alabama rig itself is the lure and what you hang off it is irrelevant as long as it has no more than three hooks.
If I was pulled up by fisheries using one and they questioned me about it, that would be my arguement unless someone can convince me otherwise.
Interested to hear more feedback on this one.
Cheers
Mick Skinner

callum
Angler
Angler

Post by callum » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:40 pm

One tow point = one lure?

callum
Angler
Angler

Post by callum » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:30 am

How many hooks does an ice jig have? Up to 4?
They're legal.

cannonball
Beginner
Beginner

Post by cannonball » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:02 am

I am currently working on a remote control lure that has a underwater camera on it. Also has an in built device which hones in on the biggest fish in the lake. I will have my own s factor rubbed on it which hypnotises the fish so once hooked it will swim straight to the boat and into my net. After reading a couple of the posts I am thinking about making it into an alabama rig. I have not got a name for it yet. I am open for suggestions. Doesn't sound like its against any rules or laws. I want to also have the abt rules changed so i can troll and run teasers out the back of my boat because its not against the fisheries rules. I think it will help me catch more fish when the fishing is too hard and i am not good enough to work them out. Yes thats the spirit of our sport. Hang on I have found a name for my remote control lure. Its called the "remote control cannonball" I will win every tournament with it I enter and i dont care whether it would be considered unethical as long as it doesn't break the rules. I am rubbing my hands together already. Lets keep breaking the sport down until there is no integrity, sportsmanship and enjoyment. I am sure the sport is heading in the right direction. Finally I know we are heading in right direction after reading an article on the betsbream website. it showed an unhappy face.

REEDY

Ian
Angler
Angler

Post by Ian » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:47 am

this is a great idea maybe you can download an app that would enable this device
to look for fish traps on its travels
Ian

Barry_O
Keen Angler
Keen Angler

Post by Barry_O » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:21 am

Hi Jesper,
The paragraph you have sited refers specifically to set lines I think.
The question to be asked about the alabama rig is whether it is considered one lure with several hooks .
As you are aware there are many hard bodied lures (especially barra orientated lures) that have at least three hooks to them but only one line connection.
In the same vane I feel that the Alabama rig is one lure with several hooks, the reason being is that it has only one line connection.
It would be good to get a fisheries ruling on this and the reasoning.

I have just been back looking for my latest hard copy of fishing regs (for Qld) but can't find it so what I have said is from memory only.
It is a couple of months back that I actually reviewed it.

Having said all of that I have not used nor am I probably likely to use the Alabama rig.

Hey Ian that underwater camera lure would be very, very useful !!

Regards to all and best wishes for the Festive Season

Barry_O

JAS
Angler
Angler

Post by JAS » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:22 pm

Hi,
The paragraph is the rule straight from the DPI web site on how many lines and what can be on the end of it. The second sentence covers the ruling on hooks and lures etc.
There is no other reference to fishing lines and lures on the site. In freshwater you can not put more than one hook or lure on your line and in salt you can have up to 6 hooks per line as per below,

In tidal waters, up to three fishing lines with up to six hooks in total (in any configuration) are permitted. An artificial fly or lure is deemed to be equal to one hook.

As for the Alabama rig there are areas in the states that the lure can not be used or they have to reduce the number of hook as the fishing regulation will state the number of hooks that can be put on the end of a line. The grey area is what is this lure classified as, They are talking about this down here in SA and you can only have 2 hooks on the lure like in NSW. If a lure is classified as one hook then in QLD you would only be able to put one lure on the end. I would just want to be sure QLD before throwing one around.
Jesper

callum
Angler
Angler

Post by callum » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:50 pm

cannonball wrote:I am currently working on a remote control lure that has a underwater camera on it. Also has an in built device which hones in on the biggest fish in the lake. I will have my own s factor rubbed on it which hypnotises the fish so once hooked it will swim straight to the boat and into my net. After reading a couple of the posts I am thinking about making it into an alabama rig. I have not got a name for it yet. I am open for suggestions. Doesn't sound like its against any rules or laws. I want to also have the abt rules changed so i can troll and run teasers out the back of my boat because its not against the fisheries rules. I think it will help me catch more fish when the fishing is too hard and i am not good enough to work them out. Yes thats the spirit of our sport. Hang on I have found a name for my remote control lure. Its called the "remote control cannonball" I will win every tournament with it I enter and i dont care whether it would be considered unethical as long as it doesn't break the rules. I am rubbing my hands together already. Lets keep breaking the sport down until there is no integrity, sportsmanship and enjoyment. I am sure the sport is heading in the right direction. Finally I know we are heading in right direction after reading an article on the betsbream website. it showed an unhappy face.

REEDY
And I thought I posted some stupid sh!%.
New techninques=new skills=more knowledge=growth for the angler and the game. If you want to do the same thing everyone's been doing for the last 5 years,
you will be left behind and a faster/better boat will not help anyone catch up. If an ice jig is used in any further comps should i call fisheries? No. Should I throw
an Umbrella rig in a tournament? No. Abt has already made a decision on it. Should Reedy build his bibbed vibrator? He can if he wants. Just like the Umbrella rig, it wont help anyone unless it's used in the correct situation...
Cheers

Drewy
Angler
Angler

Post by Drewy » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:51 am

I spoke to fisheries late last year about these, they are allowed with one hook only in freshwater and with up to 6 hooks in a salt water environment.

Thanks
Drew