Bass Growth Rates

This is the place to discuss all matters relating to BASS fishing and tournaments.

Moderators: Simon Goldsmith, chris byrnes, Elliot Fooks

Adrian W
Angler
Angler

Bass Growth Rates

Post by Adrian W » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:08 pm

Hi All

For anybody interested I have caught 2 tagged Bass over the last couple of months, both fish where tagged by Barry Oxford.

Fish 1, Lake Moogerah, Tagged 5/6/12, Tl 385 Fl 360.
Recaptured 16/11/12 ,164 days out, Tl 395 + 10mm Fl 375 + 15mm.

Fish 2, Lake Maroon, Tagged 8/10/09, Tl 385 Fl 360.
Recaptured 23/01/13, 1203 days out, Tl 395 + 10mm Fl 365 + 5mm.

Maroon Bass appear to be very slow growing, or just Fish 2?
Does anyone else have any recapture data that they want to share?

Baz, do you have any recapture data from Somerset or Wivenhoe, just as a comparison?

Cheers Adrian

Barry_O
Keen Angler
Keen Angler

Re: Bass Growth Rates

Post by Barry_O » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:37 am

Hi Adrian,
Mate, I get about 3 or 4 tag returns a week over the spring/summer period.
What I can say from those returns are that the dams which have bony bream have fast growing fish.
This is especially so since the 2011 floods as the bonies population exploded and there has been vast quantities of food available.
The dams of note are Wivenhoe, Somerset, Boondooma and Moogerah especially has big growth rates.
I have had returns from Moogerah especially where fish tagged around the mid 20's have reached mid 30's to high 30's in the two years since the floods.
I only tag fish from 20 cm upwards and it suprises me how many of these smaller fish are caught more than once during their growth cycles.

I believe that there are a lot more fish recaptured several times. I know that in a lot of cases the recapture details are not called in to Bill("too hard basket") so we don't get to see the full history of recaptures. I am aware of this because I have had people tell me they do not bother to phone them in.
Dams like Maroon & Clarrie Hall have small growth rates and the Hinze was similar but from reports that has changed.
I am guessing but my feelings are the change in the Hinze might have been brought about by the "accidental introduction" of Barred Grunter.
This has given the bass a greater food source than they previously had. As an anecdotal comment my favourite lure in the Hinze was a Jackall in Noike Gill.
You can't get a much better imitation than that of a Barred Grunter! Also have a look at the colour of the spinnerbait that won the Bass Electric Convention!This change in the Hinze seemed to have occurred about mid 2000 and onwards.
The other thing is that a lot of fish do not get released after capture(especially at Boondooma and Bjelke Petersen) so the history ends there.

Barry_O

AndyB
Angler
Angler

Post by AndyB » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:33 pm

Barry just curious why do you call it "THE" hinze ?

Barry_O
Keen Angler
Keen Angler

Post by Barry_O » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:39 pm

Good question Andy.
I guess I have just got used to going down to "the Hinze", "the Hinze" is fishing well etc.

Can't honestly say how it started!

Regards
Barry_O

cuckoo4caca
Angler
Angler

Post by cuckoo4caca » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:33 am

Moogerah went 3.8m OVER THE SPILLWAY..... with 625mm of rain in 48hrs...... 2.7m above the level of 2011/exceeding levels of 1974 also.... Highest level EVER recorded in moogerahs history....BYE BYE BASS and GOLDENS.... Start stocking again..... lucky they grow fast.
Cheers, Luke

Barry_O
Keen Angler
Keen Angler

Post by Barry_O » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:32 am

I'm with you on that Luke.
It has been one of the most consistent dams over the last 3 + years and now we will probably be starting all over again.
A tip: The Bremer and Brisbane rivers and tributaries to fish very, very well overthe next couple of years!

Barry_O

Steve Morgan
B&B Admin
B&B Admin

Post by Steve Morgan » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:03 am

I think that the floods will displace a few bass, but I reckon that some bass and goldens are as likely to run upstream as they do down. I suppose time will tell.... Autumn/winter overflows are the worst for bass doing the runner IMO.

I've caught plenty of Somerset bass and yellowbelly in the Stanley River at Peachester. They would have only got that high in flood events.

Cheers,

SM
ABT
ph:(07) 3387 0888
fax: (07) 3887 0889

cuckoo4caca
Angler
Angler

Post by cuckoo4caca » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:17 pm

I'm with you Barry, the January Summer 2011 flood saw thousands of bass go over the Moogerah wall. The upstream run on Moogerah is usually too turbid for SOME bass..... So similar to a winter downsteram spawning run, the 2011 summer saw Reynolds Creek, Warril Creek and Bremer River stacked with Bass... The jon boat has gotten a fair work out over the last few seasons.. Time will tell.... Cheers, Luke