Barra Tour Rules

This is the place to discuss all matters relating to BARRA fishing and tournaments.

Moderators: Simon Goldsmith, chris byrnes, Elliot Fooks, Matt Fraser

Matt Fraser
Keen Angler
Keen Angler

Barra Tour Rules

Post by Matt Fraser » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:05 am

With the 2009 Barra tour coming up soon, I'd like to make a couple of suggestions to hopefully improve anglers catch rates, and keep harmony between competing teams.

Moreso than any other tournament species, impoundment barra are very wary of boat noise. Stealth (operating very quietly to move into fishing locations) has become imperative to acheiving good results. The operation of boat motors can shut down a bite for a considerable period of time. Ignorant or inconsiderant anglers can and have ruined the fishing for other teams by operating their boat motors too close to another team that has worked hard to maintain stealth in a location. I have been guilty of this in the past due to ignorance. After watching the level of stealth measures used by the Taylors and other gun anglers, I think its time to that ABT put something in the rules, so that all barra anglers know what is a acceptable.

I couldn't find anything in the current ABT barra rules in regards to distance between boats, and therefore I'd like to suggest that the following rules be implemented for the 2009 Barra tour.

1. Distance Between Boats When Fishing - Minimum 30metres

2. Distance Between Boats when Operating Boat Motor - If one team is fishing (on anchor or electric motor), other boats must not operate their main motor within 100m regardless of speed. If a team is fishing a narrow arm of a lake that is less than 100m wide, other boats must reduce speed to 4 knots to pass for 100m either side of the boat fishing.

I'm suggesting 100m on no. 2, but I have put it to a poll for your input.

I would like to see these points implemented as ABT Barra Rules, not just used as ettiquette guidelines, otherwise they may be taken too lightly. The aim of bringing up this topic is to cut out any grey area on what is fair enough tournament behaviour, and to enhance everyones chances of catching more barra.

I'd like to see just the barra anglers vote and comment on this thanks.
Cheers,

Matt

I cant attach the poll to this thread, so the poll will be a seperate topic.

Matt Fraser
Keen Angler
Keen Angler

Re: Barra Tour Rules

Post by Matt Fraser » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:51 am

Bumping this one up, as it goes with the Poll

Matt

Barra
Angler
Angler

Post by Barra » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:14 pm

I would agree with these points Matt, however I doubt they can make them a rule for these events...
Ian

Matt Fraser
Keen Angler
Keen Angler

Post by Matt Fraser » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:45 pm

G'day Ian,

Thanks, I'm hoping ABT will include it in their Barra Rules Code of Conduct, see post "difference between 90 and 110 metres"

Cheers,

Matt

Steve Morgan
B&B Admin
B&B Admin

Post by Steve Morgan » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:53 pm

Matt,

If you're happy to compile some agreed-upon etiquette, we're happy to publish it.

SM
ABT
ph:(07) 3387 0888
fax: (07) 3887 0889

Matt Fraser
Keen Angler
Keen Angler

Post by Matt Fraser » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:59 pm

Just sent you an email,

Cheers,

Matt

d-train
Beginner
Beginner

Post by d-train » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:25 pm

Matt
Another rule i would like to see or some thing put into the rules is an actual time on speed restrictions i no im onle new at the abt stuff. but take mondy for an example the 6knot rule in different parts of the dam the sun dissapers or is below the horizon at different time ie you can leave b and the sun is still up then get around the corner and its behind a hill ect like many of us we can back early and fished around the main basin so it didnt take to long to get back after dark when the 6 knot rule was in place yet i dont want to get anyone of side buy this but we watched as about five or so boats came into sight and past us on the plane because every one had a different opinion on when the sun was below the horizon ect
Cheers
Duane
TIGHTLINES SCREAMING REELS AND BURNT THUMBS

Matt Fraser
Keen Angler
Keen Angler

Post by Matt Fraser » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:24 pm

Duane,

I think they got it sorted in the second session, by making it 6 knots after 6.30pm. We were off the water then, as I'd busted our Nav lights whilst fighting a fish, so we had to be off by sunset.

Cheers,

Matt