09 Barra Tour Tales

This is the place to discuss all matters relating to BARRA fishing and tournaments.

Moderators: Simon Goldsmith, chris byrnes, Elliot Fooks, Matt Fraser

Matt Fraser
Keen Angler
Keen Angler

09 Barra Tour Tales

Post by Matt Fraser » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:18 am

All the results are on the australianbarra.com.au but for here are a few tales from the tour. Barra anglers please add yours.

Wow what a tour! Lots of fish and big fish, Awoonga Fired big time.
Some Awesome records were set.
A new 5 fish limit of 5.83m was set by Daniel Gretch at the Awoonga Night Championships (thats a 116.6cm average)
Jason Crofts got a new ABT record 126cm Barra at Awoonga - the thing is a beast! - check the pics!
A new 10 fish limit of 10.10m was set by Jason Wilhelm at the Awoonga 2 day Evening Event.
Cy Taylor took out overall angler of the year with an amazing 397/400 points. Thats three firsts and a fourth from five events!

I've just about recovered from the tour and I only did the Southern leg. Fishing with Ian as Berkley Nitro R&D we had a fantastic time, The first night at Awoonga we had a top time getting 4 and 5 fish, but were blown away by the results at the presentation. It was great to talk to the teams who won, they had the night of their lives on BIG Barra, and got done over by many more fish!

Conditions changed a little during the second Awoonga event, bite times/session times played a big part in the results. You had to find fish that bit during the day as well as the night. Jason Wilhelm was ultra consistant to come out on top - well done!

We shared a point at Awoonga with Mike and Kerry (Team Etec Ho) for most of the comp and had a friendly rivalry going, the first night we went camera flash for camera flash! and I think we pipped them, but they definitely did us in the two day event, and took out the Mondy teams section - well done guys!

We had a great time staying at the Gateway, sharing a few drinks with the Engel Boys, Team Halco, Berkley boys and Bundyities. Lots of great yarns and antics. I'm not sure if Chris and Marcel enjoyed some of the Halco Boys digital images!

There were lots of stories from Awoonga of 80lb leaders being chewed through, Trev from the Rum Pigs was spooled! lures were destroyed, hooks bending, snaps breaking! Hooks in feet!

Moving onto Monduran was a big change, the weather again played its part. We were lucky to leave Awoonga when we did as it got hammered by a Storm on Wednesday arvo that sunk boats, and trashed one of the houseboats.

It was a tougher bite at Mondy, if you got four fish you made top 3! Cy Taylor shone again in a tough bite! Great to see Carlos nail four in session - great comback to finish 2nd after donuting the first session.

We got all our fish in dense timber, which was a real buzz, chasing them down on electric, while smashing through some of the smaller trees, passing rods around trees, while the barra was jumping 30 metres and still four trees away! good team work is absolutely essential. Ian was very unlucky to jump two fish off in the first session, and also loose one around an unseen log late in the fight. There were plenty of hardluck stories though, and in a tough bite, the results could have been very different.

The final presentation at the Gin Gin Pub was a great event, thanks to Tim from Halco and Rob Woods for putting it on. Drinks and yarns flowed freely, it was a great atmosphere, and plenty of sharing of info. Also a little pool table dancing later in the night :roll: .

I'd like to thank ABT for running a good tour, and for all the sponsors who supported the events. After a tough couple of years for the barra tour, this year was a bit of a boom year. Getting the conditions right is a lottery, unfortuantely Faust got a bad draw this year, Awoonga was definitely on fire, and the other venues fished ok. Numbers were down a little, but I'm tipping this years results might spark a little more interest for 2010.

Highlights for me were getting a PB 120cm at Awoonga, and getting my first out of the timber at Monduran - a 103cm, also fishing with a good mate, and meeting a heap of new people on tour.

I'm looking forward to the 2010 barra year, and hopefully a few more events during the year.

Please add your stories

Cheers,

Matt

marcel_krieger
Keen Angler
Keen Angler

Re: 09 Barra Tour Tales

Post by marcel_krieger » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:39 pm

Thanks Matt,

Byrnsey and I enjoyed the tour, so much that Chris is still up at Awoonga smashing all the spots that the guys gave him during the interviews.

I enjoy having a beer with everyone and stirring up a few people whilst on tour so the Gin Gin pub presentation was a winner for me as well.

Byrnsey was getting a bit tired from being away from home for so long, that I am sure he will regret asking me to learn how to do the computer side of things and checking the cards. He spent many an hour going thru the photos after the Awoonga evening event and yes is still asking the question was exactly possessed the Halco team to fish nude and get photo evidence of it.

With records smashed I hope it sets the scene for a great 2010 season. I am currently working on the TAG that should hit all members doorsteps in Jan sometime.

Everyone enjoy your Christmas hols and see you in the new year.
Cheers,

Marcel Krieger

ABT 07 3387 0888

nagg
Beginner
Beginner

Post by nagg » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:47 pm

marcel_krieger wrote:Thanks Matt,

Byrnsey and I enjoyed the tour, so much that Chris is still up at Awoonga smashing all the spots that the guys gave him during the interviews.

I enjoy having a beer with everyone and stirring up a few people whilst on tour so the Gin Gin pub presentation was a winner for me as well.

Byrnsey was getting a bit tired from being away from home for so long, that I am sure he will regret asking me to learn how to do the computer side of things and checking the cards. He spent many an hour going thru the photos after the Awoonga evening event and yes is still asking the question was exactly possessed the Halco team to fish nude and get photo evidence of it.

With records smashed I hope it sets the scene for a great 2010 season. I am currently working on the TAG that should hit all members doorsteps in Jan sometime.

Everyone enjoy your Christmas hols and see you in the new year.

Barra in the buff ...... We (Jason , Tim & myself) had the conversation over a few beers "how to make interesting photos" .... In the buff - with a barra covering the privates was one idea -
I thought it would be funny - but potentially dangerous .......
Then Tim snaps Jas fishing starkers :shock: & then Tim posed with his tackle & barra ......... yep these guys are the real deal "mad" :roll:

Cheers

Chris

Matt Fraser
Keen Angler
Keen Angler

Post by Matt Fraser » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:02 pm

Its amazing how fishing into the wee hours of the morning can affect some fisherman! Good to see some teams not taking it too seriously!

Its also amazing how difficult it is to get a good positive thread going on this Bulletin Board. I give up!

Matt

marcel_krieger
Keen Angler
Keen Angler

Post by marcel_krieger » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:29 am

Haha, thats funny.

Seems the only response you get is if you say Harry's lures are no good.
Cheers,

Marcel Krieger

ABT 07 3387 0888

Matt Fraser
Keen Angler
Keen Angler

Post by Matt Fraser » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:00 am

WTF?

d-train
Beginner
Beginner

Post by d-train » Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:52 pm

Matt
would you be able to send us your address i have some gear for you to have a look at
Cheers Duane
TIGHTLINES SCREAMING REELS AND BURNT THUMBS

Matt Fraser
Keen Angler
Keen Angler

Post by Matt Fraser » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:46 am

PM sent.

Steve Morgan
B&B Admin
B&B Admin

Post by Steve Morgan » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:17 am

Matt,

Duane's PMs won't work until he's made 5 posts.

SM
ABT
ph:(07) 3387 0888
fax: (07) 3887 0889

d-train
Beginner
Beginner

Post by d-train » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:05 pm

matt pms not working yet thanx any way
Cheers
Duane