Barra Fishing Hotting up at last

This is the place to discuss all matters relating to BARRA fishing and tournaments.

Moderators: Simon Goldsmith, chris byrnes, Elliot Fooks, Matt Fraser

Matt Fraser
Keen Angler
Keen Angler

Barra Fishing Hotting up at last

Post by Matt Fraser » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:33 am

Things are really starting to shape up nicely for the November barra tour, the grapevine has kicked into overdrive in the past week with sensational reports from Faust and Awoonga. Unfortunately Mondy is still dishing up lots of donuts, and many anglers are now doing the drive-by on Lake Misery for the big A. Whispers on Teemburra haven't been as encouraging either, but at least a few fish are getting caught.

I just got back from four days at Awoonga, and lucked onto warming water temps, coupled with the full moon, which produced fish for most boats. I fished with Mark Lennox who lost his barraginity to a 112cm specimen, and went on to boat a couple more for the trip. Another breamer/basser blown away by how savage a barra bite is, and how awesome the fight is! I think he now has the bug!

I had about a dozen hits for the trip, but only boated two fish. Good to blow out the cobwebs and get some bad form out of the way. We stayed at the caravan park and most punters were picking up one or two fish per session, even the trollers were having a bit of luck.

We ran into a ABT barra anglers, and a few of them have really cracked the pattern, double figures of barra per session. But these guys have put in the time all year, and were on a big high, as they've been doing it pretty tough until now.

Its awesome to see that Awoonga hasn't missed a beat since the big top up in March/April. The fish are still there in numbers, if you know where to find them and how to entice them.

It was very busy at Awoonga, particularly being a full moon weekend, but angler courtesy was great, as most of the anglers up there now seem to know what they are doing, and were using stealth and not going too close to other boats - apart from just a couple of trollers, one lot who were lucky not to hook my anchor rope :evil: There were lots of NSW and even a few victorian number plates at the ramp. In fact, they probably outnumber the QLDers. Most of them had done a few trips, and were getting onto fish.

Swimbaits seem to be back on the main menu for the barra as the water temps are increasing. The usual slick rigs, hollowbellys and storms dominating catches.

Less than a month now to the tour! can't wait!

How good are those Barra Hits!

Cheers

Matt

Matt Fraser
Keen Angler
Keen Angler

Re: Barra Fishing Hotting up at last

Post by Matt Fraser » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:51 am

Further to my last post, I've just got two more (Non ABT angler) reports from Faust in the past two days. It is seriously going off, and big fish! I wish I was doing the whole tour now.

Good luck and safe travels to all heading off on the Northern tour.

Cheers,

Matt

d-train
Beginner
Beginner

Post by d-train » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:18 am

Matt,
I wish i was to but i am off to tineroo for a week before the southern rounds only because i havent fished it before and have been invited to go
any tips??
Thanks and cheers
TIGHTLINES SCREAMING REELS AND BURNT THUMBS

Matt Fraser
Keen Angler
Keen Angler

Post by Matt Fraser » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:48 pm

Sorry, I 've got little on Tinaroo. The Tinaroo Barra Bash is on up there 19 - 21 Nov

http://www.trc.qld.gov.au/whats-on/barra-bash

Great waterway, and I believe the barra stocks are in pretty good shape.

It certainly wouldn't be getting the pressure the southern dams are getting atm.

Goodluck,

Matt