Barra Entry Forms

This is the place to discuss all matters relating to BARRA fishing and tournaments.

Moderators: Simon Goldsmith, chris byrnes, Elliot Fooks, Matt Fraser

Drewy
Angler
Angler

Barra Entry Forms

Post by Drewy » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:14 am

Hey,
Are the entry forms for the Barra Pro rounds up yet? Are the comps going ahead?

Thanks
Drew

Matt Fraser
Keen Angler
Keen Angler

Re: Barra Entry Forms

Post by Matt Fraser » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:07 am

There will still be Barra Events in 2011, but possibly a reduced schedule.

The new proposed schedule will be released next week. Entry forms will be released once the schedule is locked in.

I'm tipping the Mondy Qualifier in March and Awoonga Trophy in May will be off the schedule, but wait out for official confirmation.

The barra impoundments and anglers need time to get over the floods, and the storm season isn't over yet - another 2 or 3 cyclones predicted before the end of the season.

Unfortunately for Barra Junkies, its going to be a tough time in the short term, but we are looking at some exciting times down the track.

Any further comments welcomed,

Cheers,

Matt

Awoonga
Angler
Angler

Post by Awoonga » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:58 am

Maybe these events could still go ahead but with a different format. The estuary systems that both of these dams flow into could be used to to run competitions You could run one event from Bundy and the other from Gladstone with no boundaries. You pickup your icon at the Friday night briefing and return lunchtime Sunday. Fish when and wherever you like. Format- Teams Event- Five Fish max per team The Target speices ? Barra or Jack or Mixed

Drewy
Angler
Angler

Post by Drewy » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:34 pm

I had heard that mondy was looking ok, I'm guessing if the comps are off then it must still be very hard. Any reports or info from anyone that has been there?

Regards
Drew

Awoonga
Angler
Angler

Post by Awoonga » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:59 pm

l fished it last Friday... two catfish

Matt Fraser
Keen Angler
Keen Angler

Post by Matt Fraser » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:37 pm

The dams are certainly 'looking' good! but the barra that are left in them are keeping a low profile.

I haven't heard a confirmed report of even a single barra being caught in Awoonga or Mondy in 2011. I would love to hear one though, so if anyone has anything of substance please let us know, Faust and Teemburra as well.

Cheers,

Matt

Peter4
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Peter4 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:42 pm

Matt Fraser wrote:There will still be Barra Events in 2011, but possibly a reduced schedule.

The new proposed schedule will be released next week. Entry forms will be released once the schedule is locked in.

I'm tipping the Mondy Qualifier in March and Awoonga Trophy in May will be off the schedule, but wait out for official confirmation.
I guess what people are asking Matt, is now that events are (or were) planned for the whole year, "can we get a firm barra event schedule for 2011?". The bream & bass guys have the entire year laid out for them in January and we are still talking about proposed schedules...

Forget possible cyclones, flooded dams and poor reports - we just want to know when we can go tournament fishing!

Cheers

Pete

Simon Goldsmith
B&B Admin
B&B Admin

Post by Simon Goldsmith » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:17 pm

Guys,

ABT is under the pump at moment with work and it's only going to get worse once Marcel leaves next week. Please be patient. We're prioritising all our work at the moment, and yes we're are putting together the BARRA calendar it might just take a little while.
Regards,

Simon Goldsmith
ABT Tournament Director
simon@fishingmonthly.com.au
(07) 3387 0888
0416 068 386

Peter4
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Peter4 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:26 pm

Completely understand Simon. You guys are doing a great job, considering the resources at hand. We will just have to be more patient!

BTW - fished Monduran last weekend with my son. While I missed my only hit, he missed one as well but also picked up two small barra at 52cm & 64cm. Another mate there at the time picked up a 87cm barra...so they may be slowly coming back onto the bite!

Cheers

Pete

Simon Goldsmith
B&B Admin
B&B Admin

Post by Simon Goldsmith » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:41 pm

Great to hear they may be on the move again.
Regards,

Simon Goldsmith
ABT Tournament Director
simon@fishingmonthly.com.au
(07) 3387 0888
0416 068 386

ashley cotter
Angler
Angler

Post by ashley cotter » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:42 pm

Matt,

Faust is fishing well, ive heard of fish to 123cm getting caught and quite a few around that 80-90cm range. Bait has started to boom and if we have a warm winter again this year in NQ, it should fish well.

Tinaroo is fishing very well also with numbers up to 10 fish getting caught casting during the corse of a weekend biggest 125cm.

Lots of smaller fish comming along thanks to DPI electro fishing surveys. Have have been gut flushing them, full of redclaw.

cheers
Ashley
ashley cotter
townsville

fishmate

Post by fishmate » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:25 pm

Just spent the week end in the house boat on Mondy. Although we only got one fish 51 cm there were plenty there on sounders just waiting for the right time. March Barra pro should go ahead . Dam is looking full but great. Another month will provide good fishing. Need to Know very soon to arrange things with work.. Better to have tried and failed than not to have tried at all. Lets GO ABT.

Matt Fraser
Keen Angler
Keen Angler

Post by Matt Fraser » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:16 am

Fishmate, the Mondy Barra Pro is definitely cancelled sorry.

Ashley, thanks for the update on the Northern Dams, good to hear that the fishing is going well.

Reports from Awoonga on the weekend - one barra caught between a big field in the No Blokes Barra event. Its a different story on the other side of the wall though.

Cheers,

Matt