Mondy Barra Trophy Info

This is the place to discuss all matters relating to BARRA fishing and tournaments.

Moderators: Simon Goldsmith, chris byrnes, Elliot Fooks, Matt Fraser

Matt Fraser
Keen Angler
Keen Angler

Mondy Barra Trophy Info

Post by Matt Fraser » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:49 am

The Mondy Barra Trophy weekend is shaping up to be a great barraholics convention, it will be the season opening event for Southern Barra Anglers, and a good opportunity for anglers to try and get a handle on the ''New" Mondy. There is a lot of new water to explore for those that haven't been there since the floods, and hopefully spring will wake the barra from their winter slumber. Its also a great weekend for catching up with mates and making new ones.

The kayak division is getting some new blood into the sport, and finally giving the barra yakking fraternity an opportunity to get together for a fish.Entries are rolling in steadily, and I have confirmation the Taylor boys are fishing in the Yak Trophy in their Hobie Pro Anglers. I also have word that Denis Harrold will be attending the event - For those who don't recognise the name, Denis caught the All Tackle World Record Barra of 44.6kg barra in Monduran last December.

MASA (Monduran Anglers Stocking Association) will be putting on a BBQ on the Friday Night (prior to the briefing), and again for lunch on Sunday (prior to the presentation) to save anglers having to cook themselves a feed at these times.

BBQ Timings
Friday 30 Sep - 6.30pm - 7.30pm
Sunday 2nd Oct - 12.30 - 2pm

The BBQs will cost a few dollars each, depending on how hungry you are, with all proceeds will go to the MASA sponsor a barra program.

Rob and Kelly tell me there are a few powered and unpowered sites still available in the campgrounds, the number is 1800 228 754. For those who prefer a roof over their heads, there are plenty of Motels in Gin Gin, or Rob Woods at the Gin Gin Hotel can arrange a room and good boat parking for you - 4157 2106.

Stay tuned here for further updates as they come to light, and if there are any questions, fire away,

Cheers,

Matt

Matt Fraser
Keen Angler
Keen Angler

Re: Mondy Barra Trophy Info

Post by Matt Fraser » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:42 am

The Mondy Map is now up on australianbarra.com.au

The red line on the map is the fishing boundary between boaters and Yakkers. The Boater's fishing area is anywhere upstream of the line, the Yakkers are to stay downstream of the line. There is a lot of water there to cover for both divisions.

The Red X on the map shows the start/finish point for boaters for each session.

Cheers,

Matt

moggy
Angler
Angler

Post by moggy » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:47 pm

Matt
It would of been handy to know the boundries before entries were submitted.
Too bad if i crack a deep water technique in the main basin or a weed edge bite in bird bay.
Common sense prevails with fishing with kayaks, why dont we get the chance to fish the same area's with common sense.
Moggy

Matt Fraser
Keen Angler
Keen Angler

Post by Matt Fraser » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:14 am

Hi Moggy,

It was in the Barra Trophy Rules (in the Event Information) from when we first posted the 2011 info,

Fishing Boundaries – As this event is being run concurrently with the Barra Trophy
Kayak Event, Barra Trophy Kayak teams are restricted to fishing the main basin,
SDA bay and Bird Bay. Barra Trophy Boaters will be restricted from fishing these
areas. However they will be passing through the main basin at the end of each
session.
Details on boundaries for the end of the main basin and Bird bay will be highlighted
at the briefing.

Sorry you missed it. I hope it doesn't put you out. It is difficult to cater to the two formats, this is obviously a first, and is a work in progress.

We may be able to work something out as the event unfolds, but as it stands, those are the boundaries.

Give me a call if there are any dramas, I'm away at Faust Trophy the next 4 - 5 days.

Cheers,

Matt

Matt Fraser
Keen Angler
Keen Angler

Post by Matt Fraser » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:56 pm

On the way back from the Faust Trophy, I fished Mondy on Monday and it is looking good, I landed a 70cm and 42cm Barra on 4" Hollowbellys. Plus I had another follow all the way to the boat. Water is clear, bait is visable in some bays, boneys, barred grunter and garfish. Mondy is looking superb, and it is so encouraging to see and catch barra.

Another mate fished it for four days and landed six barra between 40 and 70cm.

Things are looking good for the Mondy Trophy,

Cheers,

Matt

Matt Fraser
Keen Angler
Keen Angler

Post by Matt Fraser » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:45 am

I've had a question on lights for the event.

Lights are required for any session that starts before sunrise or ends after sunset. For this event Sunset is 5.52pm, Sunrise is 5.32am

See the link for details http://sunrisesunset.willyweather.com.a ... duran.html

Therefore all craft will need lights on (and 20knots speed) from 5.50pm.

The Boaters session 2 finishes at 6pm, so be aware it will affect your trip back to the tag board.

For Yakkers session 2 finishes at 6.30pm.

All craft require red and green nav lights and 360 degree white light from 5.50pm. If they do not have light that comply with QLD Boating regulations, they will have to finish session 2 prior to 5.50pm.

Cheers,

Matt

Lockyer
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Lockyer » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:54 am

Big thanks to Matt and Ian for putting on a top weekend for us kayaker's, shame the weather gods had it in for some of us, but still a good comp and great to see the organisers listen to any of the kayakers concern's and fix the issue's. Sorry I didn't hang around for the presentation but the wind was doing it's best to destroy my camper trailer. Glad to see the stocking group got some funds from the comp and BBQ's....

Cheers L
Lawrence
Ultimate 12

Matt Fraser
Keen Angler
Keen Angler

Post by Matt Fraser » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:36 pm

Thanks Lawrence,

Definite shame about the weather, great to see so many Yakkers turn up and have a go.

There will be more barra in there for us to chase in the future, thanks to the efforts by MASA, and the extra donations over the weekend,

Cheers,

Matt