BARRA Tour 2012- Draft Dates & Ideas

This is the place to discuss all matters relating to BARRA fishing and tournaments.

Moderators: Simon Goldsmith, chris byrnes, Elliot Fooks, Matt Fraser

Simon Goldsmith
B&B Admin
B&B Admin

BARRA Tour 2012- Draft Dates & Ideas

Post by Simon Goldsmith » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:09 pm

Guys,

We're trying to get the 2012 season sorted in-time to get the dates and schedule in the 2012 Tournament Angler Guide. Here's what we're thinking.

* Tour to be scaled back to four events (2x nth, 2 x sth)
* Boater/non-boater format to be scrapped.
* Tour to be split into northern and southern legs. From a scheduling point of few this is more workable for ABT (not clashing with BREAM or BASS events) and we think two short blocks of time off for anglers is more workable than one big block.
* Events scheduled on full moon.
* All events to be 2 x 5 evening events.

Let us know you're thoughts, or suggestions. The draft dates are as follows:

Northern Tour
R1- Peter Faust- Fri 31st Aug- Sat 1st Sep
R2- Teemburra- Mon 3rd Sep- Tues 4th Sep

Southern Tour
R3- Awoonga- Fri 30th Nov- Sat 1st Dec
R4- Monduran- Mon 3rd Dec- Tues 4th Dec.

cytaylor1
Beginner
Beginner

Re: BARRA Tour 2012- Draft Dates & Ideas

Post by cytaylor1 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:32 pm

Hi Simon,

That schedule sounds good. It'd be easier for many anglers with the break in between. The boater/ non boater format wasn't too popular at Awoonga so it would be hard to see that working, which is a shame as it was an enjoyable event.

The session times sound good too. The evenings usually hold consistent fishing and the full moon makes it easier to see once the sun goes down.

Will there be Barra Trophy events as well?
cY tAyLoR1

Simon Goldsmith
B&B Admin
B&B Admin

Post by Simon Goldsmith » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:25 pm

I'm not sure on the BARRA Trophy events Cy. Matt Fraser will be able to answer that question.
Regards,

Simon Goldsmith
ABT Tournament Director
simon@fishingmonthly.com.au
(07) 3387 0888
0416 068 386

matty

Post by matty » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:04 pm

Sounds good to me Simon,

The split tournaments will be easier to get the time off. Hopefully it won't be still to cold from winter in aroound that August/Sept period of the year, but then we all have the same conditions to fish with. So bring it on!

Mat

Simon Goldsmith
B&B Admin
B&B Admin

Post by Simon Goldsmith » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:44 pm

We've had a slight adjustment in the calendar so moving the nth tour forward a few weeks may actually be more workable.

The new dates would be:

R1- Fri 28/ Sat 29 Sep (full moon on the 30th Sep)
R2- Mon 1st Oct- Tues 2nd Oct
Regards,

Simon Goldsmith
ABT Tournament Director
simon@fishingmonthly.com.au
(07) 3387 0888
0416 068 386

jmillard

Post by jmillard » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:57 pm

The new split format looks great to me and will make it much easier to get time off and prefish.

Also think its a good move having the Northern rounds later in September, much more consistant fishing than earlier in the month.

Looking forward to it, Jon.

Peter4
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Peter4 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:40 am

A bit disappointing that the tour has been 'downsized' but understandable given the distances needed to be travelled, the loss of many barra from some impoundments and the low level of participation this year.

My only other comment is 'why the complete lack of morning sessions?'. During a tough year at Monduran in 2011, all of our fish were caught in the morning and many others tell of productive morning bite periods...

Cheers

Peter

vet

Post by vet » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:20 pm

Hi Simon, the new format looks good. glad it's around the full moon, definitely much easier to move around in the dark when you can see. Evening events have always been the most consistent fish producing events. Everyone should benefit from the two shorter tours and not get so tired. Maybe fish till midnight in the events as a lot of times the bite is just starting at 10pm and you have to come home. That's the only change I'd like in an otherwise great tour. Shame about the boater/non boater format going by the wayside as I did enjoy fishing it this year but the lack of entries dictate this.
Thanks for the early notice, scott.

barramondi

Post by barramondi » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:59 pm

Hi Simon
I like the idea of the two separate events better for pre-fishing and better for the rest between the two events.
It would be great to see the sponsors get behind the tour for prizes as well.
As there were virtually no prizes for Northern AOY and southern AOY this year.
And first prize on the events hasn't been posted out yet.
Don't want to seem ungratefull but my feelings are the prizes should be at the event and not an after thought.
We still haven't received our Daiwa pack yet.
The barra tournaments have been great but people revolted this year as many were not happy with the pro am formula.
I feel that the whole tour needs an upgrade to encourage more people to participate.
It could really do with some positive advertising put around the local areas to make people more aware from competitors and spectators perspective and this may incorporate more local advertising and fund raising for stocking groups alike.
This is the some of the most dynamic fishing and has proved so on TV and yet still plays third fiddle to bream an bass fishing.
This might be only my opinion but why would you have the bream AFC and bass AFC with out the barra.
If it is about the money surely you would have better sale in DVD's and would make it more marketable for TV with these large silver fish inspiring people to get out of the armchairs and explore australia with all types of fishing.
People talk about Motty with his "number one on the water baby!" slogan and for the uninformed think he is the number one barra fisherman in the country (no disrespect to Mathew intended as he is number one in my eyes and his) but ask any one from the world out side bass and bream and no one even knows he even was there as a champion bass angler.
The AFC is the big draw-card for the barra tour without it a lot of people lost interest..
I love the Tournaments and I love the people who do the tournaments, i have a ball every year but its seems the tournament series has forgotten about the anglers.
You sent out a great Team this year with Chris and Elliot and you could not have better ambassadors for the ABT, we all respected and loved there work very professional team.
I'm a big fan of the event, the ABT, the AFC and all the people who work and run the organisation, these are only my opinions and I'm aware that it is a big ship to steer and maybe you have your own reasons for steering the ship in a particular direction but don't forget about the crew.
Rob Wood