Pendulum cast

The art of distance casting is a complex one. Chat here with others also interested in distance casting, with a focus on Tournament Casting

Moderator: Jeremy Schrader

andrewcurtis
Beginner
Beginner

Pendulum cast

Post by andrewcurtis » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:52 pm

Hey guys!

I have been tournament casting for a few years now with QAFCA and the AAA, the same competition Leigh Robinson and Ian Cameron compete in.
After the last AAA in August im very interesting in starting to learn and master the art of the pendulum swing.

At the moment I am currently using a 16ft daiwa moonraker with a 5500 emblem pro reel with 10lb sufix matrix braided line.
Longest cast so far with 56g is 163m and 112g is 188m, that is just using a simple over the shoulder cast.

After talking to Leigh and Ian at the AAA in August I learnt so much in so little time. Trying to remember it all, I have been recently been mucking around learning the pendulum swing with a 14ft emblem pro rod and a daiwa saltiga surf reel and was suprised with the information they gave me how I was able to control the cast with accuracy,achieving consistently around the 155m mark with a 56g.

So now I have a couple of questions

1. Does anyone live near the toowoomba region, gold coast or sunshine coast that knows how to pendulum cast and can maybe meet up for a session?
2. I was very interested in the rod leigh was using, Shimano Spin Power 435 xx I think. Does anyone know how I can get my hands on one? I do know these rods a very reactive, but would love to try one and possible buy one.
3. I came across a Penn Surf Blaster reel, does anyone know anything about these reels? and would it be any better then a saltiga surf in terms of getting distance?

Jeremy Schrader
Serious Angler
Serious Angler

Re: Pendulum cast

Post by Jeremy Schrader » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:03 pm

Andrew ,

Sorry for not spotting your post earlier.

If you want to get some information on the pendulum cast have a look at the Australian Surfcasting Federation web site as we have a technique section there and also I can assist you in getting a DVD sent up that will explain a lot of the fundamentals with the cast as there a number of traps for the beginner, which become hard to break if you practice too much with them.

In regards to the Spin Power that is a JDM rod though I think that you could order one via PLATS though they are quite expensive at close to $1000 from memory unless they have come down in price with the introduction of newer models.

If you PM me your address I will send up the DVD as I am burning a couple of copies for some of the other ASF members.

Regards :mrgreen:

tima
Angler
Angler

Post by tima » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:54 pm

Andrew

PM sent.

Tim

andrewcurtis
Beginner
Beginner

Post by andrewcurtis » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:13 pm

Hi Jeremy,

for some reason i cant PM you, so my address is 9 Timor Avenue Palm Beach Qld 4221. would love to see the dvd

Hi Tim, also i cannot view PM for some reason! ill try get this sorted. also sorry for the late replies

regards
Andy