3 bream limit for Non Boaters

Tournaments and Tactics for bream, bass and barra anglers

Moderators: Big_unit, Simon Goldsmith, Stephen Booth, chris byrnes, Steve Morgan, Elliot Fooks

Steve Morgan
B&B Admin
B&B Admin

3 bream limit for Non Boaters

Post by Steve Morgan » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:48 pm

Breamers,

It's time to have the debate about fish limits for non-boaters.

Personally, I think that being a non-boater, it's harder to catch a limit after the boater in the front has Hoovered all of the fish up. Proportionally, more boaters bring in limits than non-boaters. For the sake of competition, wouldn't it make the scoreboard tighter and more interesting?

Maybe a more realistic mark would be a three-fish limit instead?

Let's see if we can discuss this rationally ... it's nothing that's on the immediate planning board ... more like my wish list ... but what are the thoughts?

Cheers,

SM
ABT
ph:(07) 3387 0888
fax: (07) 3887 0889

Dodgyback
Serious Angler
Serious Angler

Re: 3 bream limit for Non Boaters

Post by Dodgyback » Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:11 pm

As you know, I am a great supporter of the Non Boater.

I say keep limit at 5, I feel that changing it to 3 will make some people feel that the non boaters are a 2nd class sort of fisherperson. I like to think of them as just another division.

I reckon that they should be rewarded when getting thier 5 fish rather than just 3
I still hate Flathead

flairj
Angler
Angler

Post by flairj » Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:43 pm

In my opinion it really won't make any difference to the competitive side. Its a level playing field for all competitors. So whether it's 3 fish, 5 fish or 10 fish the cream will still rise to the top. However, looking from the view of growing the sport 3 fish limits would make people starting out feel better about their fishing time and more likely to come back. In that case 3 fish limits are a good idea

But I still think that shared weight is the way it should really be ( and I'm very aware that that's not a very popular idea )

Josh
If everybody in the history of mankind thought the glass was half full, we'd all still be sitting in a cave with half a glass

seamonkey
Angler
Angler

Post by seamonkey » Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:44 pm

Dodgyback wrote:As you know, I am a great supporter of the Non Boater.

I say keep limit at 5, I feel that changing it to 3 will make some people feel that the non boaters are a 2nd class sort of fisherperson. I like to think of them as just another division.

I reckon that they should be rewarded when getting thier 5 fish rather than just 3

My thoughts too Steve. If we were counting numbers there could be a point, but given its weight and NB's rarely get a choice in looking to upgrade as it is I'm not sure that a limit change would make things any closer anyway. Put me down for five.

I would like to see cash prizes for the top three though....oh no thread corruption...down periscope, dive dive dive! :lol:

smky

Tony Payne
Serious Angler
Serious Angler

Post by Tony Payne » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:29 pm

Steve,

I reckon a 3 fish limit for non boters in Bream is an Awesome Idea, Bring it on and I reckon you will see the non boater ranks increase to the stage ABT will never be short of them again.

Many and I will state not all boaters are fishing for big money and stakes , they drag the boat spend more money and want the big fish. Now a non boater fishes from the back ( MOSTLY ) and has scraps at casting spots in structure anyway, flats and open water is different.
A non boater comming in with a full bag would make him dam happy so I reckon bring it on for a trail Nominated comps and see how you go.

Cheers Tony
Cheers Tony

Bean
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Bean » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:08 pm

I think a 3 fish limit would be good if it was combined with the rule that non boaters can only fish from the rear deck like in Bassmaster elite and FLW

nabs12
Angler
Angler

Post by nabs12 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:29 pm

As a non-boater who has fished a fair amount of events over the past few years, I would prefer to keep the 5 fish limit. To me getting 5 is more of an achievement and it can be compareable to boaters. To me it would be demeaning, as Mick said it makes the non boaters seem a 2nd class kind of group.
I plan to fish many more events as a non boater, untill I can afford a boat. I would really hate to see it brought down to a 3 fish limit.
Im interested to see what other non boaters think? As it is I think that the non boaters are getting the short end of the stick, taking 2 fish from the limit is just plain mean :roll:
If It aint broke dont fix it :)

Cheers,

Nabeel

flyrot
Angler
Angler

Post by flyrot » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:35 pm

How about a division like the boaters being able to nominate for a pro bonus, the Non-boaters nominate 3 or 5 on entry. Normal payout applies i.e 50 starters pay top ten and 4 GF places. How about pay to 7 in 5 fish division and 3 GF places and pay to 3 in 3 fish and 1 GF place. Still makes it difficult to qualify if you take the 3 fish option. If it looks like a tough comp people may go the 3 fish option but still have to do well to qualify.

Either that or trial it as already mentioned and see how it goes.
If it's not in the water, it's not catching fish!!

chrisfish
Keen Angler
Keen Angler

Post by chrisfish » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:42 pm

Give it a go- maybe for 2 events next year. After the trials everyone could debate it having experienced it.
People who want to fish will enter regardless of the limit.
Failing this you could trial an event and instead of nonboaters get every boater to tow around a yakker. :lol: :lol:
They already have 3 fish limits i think. Might solve the prob of combined events. :mrgreen:
Non boaters who catch more bream will just get to upgrade earlier so the overall results shouldnt vary too much
except more limits caught, how can this be a bad thing- give it a go
Chris H
Never go to bed angry...
...Stay up and Fight

stunt midget
Beginner
Beginner

Post by stunt midget » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:06 pm

yeah im with Nabs i would rather catch my five and be satisfied that i had a good day . I just think if you make it easy you dont advance with your skills, and for NaBS who has been a non boater for ten years he wont advance, all good sandnigger :lol: :lol:

nabs12
Angler
Angler

Post by nabs12 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:55 pm

right on it dinger

dale m
Beginner
Beginner

Post by dale m » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:15 pm

I am with Crisfish on this one, Give it a go for maybe one round in each state next year, The Punters will still turn up as non-boaters regardless of being 3 or 5 fish limits, As a non boater it feels awesome to get the 5 in the well, even better when its 10 for the boat! However having a 3 limit may encourage new guys that are a bit unsure of if they are capable of catching 5.. Next year i plan to fish some rounds as a boater and some as non-boater and i will be totally stoked if i get a new angler in my boat and they bag out regardless of just how may fish they need, This thread will be very interesting indeed!!! Cheers Dale

vinnie
Keen Angler
Keen Angler

Post by vinnie » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:08 am

Go with 3, I don't see how reducing the limit would make someone feel like a second rate angler, the non boaters are not competing against the boaters they are pinching a ride to compete against other non boaters who will be fishing for the same limit. As a non-boater you will have to be really on your game, as you won't get by on 5 average fish, you'll need 3 quality fish to beat the non-boater that always snags a toad :)
I think a trial is always the best way to go

stuartb
Angler
Angler

Post by stuartb » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:14 am

Yep, G'Day Breamers

Well I agree with Steve Morgan's comment
I think that being a non-boater, it's harder to catch a limit after the boater in the front has Hoovered all of the fish up
... but it is that very factor that makes the division such a good challenge !

I think the non boater limit should be the same as the boaters limit. Otherwise some might get the impression that it's a second class fisho that enters as a non boater when this is often not the case.

I reckon...keep the bar raised high... this sport is all about competition and fun. It's a maximum limit for crying out loud, not a minimum !

Hey wouldn't it be interesting if the non boater limit was more than the boaters ! :twisted: :twisted: :roll: :twisted: :twisted:
Or just have a maximum boat limit of 20 bream and then see how many the boater gets compared to the non boater ! :twisted: :twisted: :oops: :twisted: :twisted:
That wouldn't be fair or just, would it......well then it's not really fair making their limit less than the boaters. Keep the playing field as level as possible, this keeps the non boaters keen and the boaters even keener.

Cheers

Stuart Bible :mrgreen:

bigtez
Angler
Angler

Post by bigtez » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:26 am

I like the idea of a 3 fish bag almost as much as I like the 'shared weight' concept. Trials in each state would be good. I would also like to see the shared weight system trialled. Perhaps events like the super series could be shared weight and the others B/NB.

T Whyte
Beginner
Beginner

Post by T Whyte » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:49 am

For the sake of competition, wouldn't it make the scoreboard tighter and more interesting?

Cheers,

SM[/quote]

I agree with the above comment, it would certainly make it more interesting and liven things up more. Personally i'm happy with a 5 fish limit and working hard for those 5 fish gives me great satisfaction, when i get them.lol

projoe

Post by projoe » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:03 pm

personally i think there should be a bag limit of 2 fish per angler (same as Bass) this would help with survival rates in the live wells, therefore giving the fish more respect after all thats whats its really all about & would really raise the bar for all competitors. It would all so help the image of the sport where the green element are concerned.

fishconnect
Keen Angler
Keen Angler

Post by fishconnect » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:15 pm

projoe,
Why not just make it 1 fish then?

I have only ever had 1 fish die in my livewell and infact putting bream in a livewell helps them to recover thus decreasing mortality rates.
Bream are on average not that big - well not as big as bass anyway, reducing the bag sizes will only make the feild tighter not make a top angler stand out! This will only help acheive the "Arse Factor" of a low placed angler catching 1 good bream for the tournament and winning the event, not something I would like to see happen to me! Anglers and in particular non-boaters are between a rock and a hard place in tournaments but a good angler will always get his fish in any situation. Keep it at 5, if your a non-boater and you get 5 you know you are in with a good shot! even if they are all just legal!

But thats just a boaters perspective....

Jay

http://www.fishconnect.com.au

Dodgyback
Serious Angler
Serious Angler

Post by Dodgyback » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:04 pm

fishconnect wrote: reducing the bag sizes will only make the feild tighter not make a top angler stand out!
Jay

http://www.fishconnect.com.au
Except for the spelling mistake, Exactly that,
I still hate Flathead

fishyman
Angler
Angler

Post by fishyman » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:28 pm

keep it at 5

its more of a challenge

fishconnect
Keen Angler
Keen Angler

Post by fishconnect » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:40 pm

Thanks mick!

"i" before "e" except after "c" eh!

put it down as a typo!

Jay

www.fishconnect.com.au

dizzzy
Angler
Angler

Post by dizzzy » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:55 pm

hahahahahahahahahaha

stunt midget
Beginner
Beginner

Post by stunt midget » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:09 pm

what do you reckon Dizzy can you catch your three from the back of the boat ? Sources have told us that it will be your possie when fishing with the Golden One.

Mick
Angler
Angler

Post by Mick » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:36 pm

I think the 3 fish limit is a much fairer system for nonboaters.
Who is the better fisherman?

The guy who scores a local boater who has been prefishing for months and knows exactly where the fish are and what they are taking. Come comp day he sits his nonboater over a school of fish with both fisho's having their limit by 8am with the nonboater catching 20+ legal fish for the whole day, with little effort as they are hitting what ever is thrown at them.

On the other side of the coin we have the nonboater who has drawn a nonlocal who has not fished the waterway for many months which means a hard day of moving about looking for fish. Never the less the nonboater knows his/her stuff and catches 3 respectable fish after a hard days fishing.

So who is the better nonboater? the person who had their fish handed to them or the person who worked his/her butt off for the day. Nonboaters will always be at the mercy of their boaters, having a 3 fish limit, reduces the impact of the boater draw on their competition.

chick_magnet_0001
Angler
Angler

Post by chick_magnet_0001 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:00 pm

make it 5 its more challenging it makes out fishing your boater all that much sweeter lol
i would like to see it trialed in a round like the tweed which isn't a super series,has pretty high attendance and for the last 2 years has been pretty hard to get 5 for both B and NB