AFC TEAMS ANNOUNCED

Tournaments and Tactics for bream, bass and barra anglers

Moderators: Big_unit, Simon Goldsmith, Stephen Booth, chris byrnes, Steve Morgan, Elliot Fooks

Steve Morgan
B&B Admin
B&B Admin

AFC TEAMS ANNOUNCED

Post by Steve Morgan » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:08 am

AFC Fans,

There's been quite a few changes to the Australian Fishing Championships TV show this year and a lot of new faces to go with them.

• 3 teams instead of four.
• Two anglers per species per team instead of one.
• Two barra anglers instead of a bass and barra angler teamed up.
• No practice days for the anglers the day before.
• 6 AFC Episodes (2 x BASS, 2 x BREAM, 2 x BARRA)
• 1 x AFC Celebrity Episode.
• 1 x highlights show.

ARENAS
• Awoonga (BARRA)
• Monduran (BARRA)
• Lake Gregory (BASS)
• Lake Boondooma (BASS)
• Redcliffe (BREAM)
• Tweed River (BREAM)
• Gold Coast (Celebrity)

We'll publish weigh-in times closer to the tour so that you can come and have a look if you're interested.

TEAMS

The new teams are outlined below FYI. Their species and qualification method are listed also. I've tried to get a good balance for all of the new spots which have opened up. Rankings-based selections were accurate at the time of selection - naturally these change after each ABT event and may be different now and into the future.

BERKLEY - Scott Towner (BREAM - AFC), Russ Babekuhl (BREAM - Rankings), Steve Kanowski (BASS - Rankings), Wayne Beazley (BASS - AOY09), Karl Rembacher (BARRA - BARRA Tour), Scott McAuley (BARRA - BARRA Money Earnings).
Fishing a Skeeter ZX190, Evinrude 150HO E-Tec with Humminbird/MinnKota gear

MERCURY - Darren Borg (BREAM - AFC), Ben Godfrey (BREAM - AFC), Matthew Mott (BASS - AFC), David Green (BASS - Rankings), Al McNamara (BARRA - Rankings), Matt Coleman (BARRA - Rankings).
Fishing a Nitro Z7, Mercury OptiMax 150, MotorGuide Tour Edition and Humminbird gear

HOBIE FISHING - Tristan Taylor (BREAM - GF08), Scott Lovig (BREAM - Kayak GF 09), Tim Morgan (BASS - AFC), Carl Jocumsen (BASS - GF 08), Cy Taylor (BARRA - AFC), Kerrin Taylor (BARRA - AFC).
Fishing a Skeeter ZX190, Evinrude 150HO E-Tec with Humminbird/MinnKota gear

AFC Sponsors
• Berkley
• Mercury
• Hobie Fishing
• Evinrude
• Ford Ranger Wildtrak
• Club Marine
• Engel
• Humminbird
• MinnKota
• MotorGuide
• Skeeter Boats
• Nitro Boats
• Barefoot Marine

NOTES
• Harry Watson 'retiring from AFC'. May have something to do with busting his Achilles doing air-guitar at the wrap party last year.
• Phil Strader unable to make it out this year due to family issues.
• Filming in the back half of October, airing around Christmas (TBA).

Welcome to the new anglers - there were some excited ones that were unaware that the new spots had opened up and that they were in the mix!

Cheers,

Steve Morgan
ABT
ph:(07) 3387 0888
fax: (07) 3887 0889

fishconnect
Keen Angler
Keen Angler

Re: AFC TEAMS ANNOUNCED

Post by fishconnect » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:03 pm

SM,
I though Kris Hickson would be higher from Bream Rankings than Russ?

also I know there is a new formula for AFC but can we get some kind of set guidelines of where/how AFC anglers are chosen? This will give a lot of us anglers an idea of what exactly we need to do to get in (except winning the GF of course)!

Jay

www.fishconnect.com.au

Dodgyback
Serious Angler
Serious Angler

Post by Dodgyback » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:07 pm

Who compares this year ?
I still hate Flathead

flairj
Angler
Angler

Post by flairj » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:16 pm

Sweet........ I heard a little rumour that Gregory was going to be a Bass round a few weeks ago. Hopefully it turns on the surface slamming big Bass it was probably chosen for. But I can hear the commentator now "it seems that all the teams are fishing within sight of each other" haha :lol:
If everybody in the history of mankind thought the glass was half full, we'd all still be sitting in a cave with half a glass

fishyman
Angler
Angler

Post by fishyman » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:19 pm

personally i think the teams format could be good viewing.

a shame a team had to be dropped but i guess with the tough financial times major team sponsors are a bit harder to come by

looking foward to it

dropshot66
Angler
Angler

Post by dropshot66 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:58 pm

Well done Tristo on your last two victories, and specially on making the AFC........ looking forward to watching all the new format and they couldn't of pick a better guy to get on AFC........

Congrats Mate

Dazzlay

Steve Morgan
B&B Admin
B&B Admin

Post by Steve Morgan » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:51 pm

Steve Morgan wrote:Rankings-based selections were accurate at the time of selection - naturally these change after each ABT event and may be different now and into the future.
Jay,

Read the post. Some anglers were selected months ago - and by the time the show goes to air, the rankings will be different again!

It's great to ask for it in concrete, but the situation occurred where the extra spots have just popped up. Therefore, after the guaranteed spot that you can earn by winning the Grand Final, the spots are selected using the tools I have available. Same way that they select the Australian cricket and footy teams.

If you want an endless debate on AFC selection and conspiracy theories, go and have a look at Ausfish. Plenty of un-researched opinions there!

Mick,

Matt Cambpbell and I will do the commentary again. Matt because he's bloody good and me because I work for free.

Cheers,

SM
ABT

clutter
Angler
Angler

Post by clutter » Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:02 am

Great to see Killer get his chance after performing so well for so many years. Looking forward to seeing it as usual.

Cheers, Clutter

fishconnect
Keen Angler
Keen Angler

Post by fishconnect » Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:58 am

SM,

I am not having a pick at this seasons choices, they are all great anglers who deserve to be on AFC and I hope to learn many new ways by watching them on AFC.

What I was getting at is for future selection, eg;

by 30 june 2010:
1st highest ranked angler not on AFC will go through.
highest AOY angler of ??? (NSW,QLD,VIC etc) will go through.
winner of Hobie kayak GF will go through.
ETC.....

Is there now going to be a bigger turnover of anglers? will there be a formula?

Cheers,

Jay

http://www.fishconnect.com.au

nabs12
Angler
Angler

Post by nabs12 » Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:11 am

I think its just the Kayak winner and the Bream GF winner that will create the new team for the next AFC...

Dodgyback
Serious Angler
Serious Angler

Post by Dodgyback » Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:32 am

One question that every one has overlooked is.

With the Taylor brothers (twins) being on the on the same team , how will we tell them apart ?
Will they wear diferent coloured shirts, will one grow a beard ?

How about name tags ??

This is very concerning
I still hate Flathead

Steve Morgan
B&B Admin
B&B Admin

Post by Steve Morgan » Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:25 pm

Mick,

On tour, you can't tell them apart for the first few days ... then after a while, you don't know how you couldn't tell them apart!

And although everyone would like the comfort of a formula, the fact is that AFC's existence is dictated by whether we can sell enough sponsorship ... to a degree, the format is dependent on the amount sold and that doesn't happen until around mid-year.

I'm not going to promise stuff to people that may not get what they are told. I'll leave that to ABT's competitors!

Put it this way - if you catch a limit in every ABT event you fish - BREAM, BASS or BARRA - and you do enough events, I guarantee you'll pop up on the radar.

Cheers,

SM
ABT

Tony Payne
Serious Angler
Serious Angler

Post by Tony Payne » Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:37 pm

Don't know allot about many of the anglers and I am sure I will after watching this years effort by them.

But do you think a Hobbie Kayaker should be thrown into a high powered craft to fish and compete on national TV if his chosen method of fishing is from a Kayak ?

After all is said and done it is a business and sponsors may or may not have a say in what happens and specially if they are putting up 10-100 of thousands of advertising dollars.

And no matter what show it is if the person doesn't have some sort of skill or can talk in front of a camera it will be a boring show. But the full teams format is a good thing and I think it will make for great viewing.

Good luck all the people lucky enough to get into this years AFC , you are as stated there for a reason which may or may not be seen by others.
Cheers Tony

The Iceman
Angler
Angler

Post by The Iceman » Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:35 pm

New format of two anglers per boat looks interesting
Cant wait to see the banter between anglers especially Dizzy and Ben could be funny :lol:
too cool to stress

Coogan
Angler
Angler

Post by Coogan » Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:31 pm

Congrats Al and Wayne for making it in this year. Its great to see a few NSW Bassin boys in the mix of things.

TheSaint
Angler
Angler

Post by TheSaint » Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:26 am

Sad to hear Harry is 'retiring' from the AFC as he was someone I enjoyed watching on the show also I wish all the anglers best of luck in the upcoming series..

fishconnect
Keen Angler
Keen Angler

Post by fishconnect » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:19 am

ok, thanks SM.

Just though it was worth asking.

My other query is for this year’s GF, if there are only 3 teams this year for AFC does that mean there will only be the top 3 GF spots fishing on Sunday?

Jay

http://www.fishconnect.com.au

WayneD
Beginner
Beginner

Post by WayneD » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:49 am

Tony Payne wrote:But do you think a Hobbie Kayaker should be thrown into a high powered craft to fish and compete on national TV if his chosen method of fishing is from a Kayak ?
Why not? Just because someone fishes out of a kayak or a rusty old boat with a transom mount 33lb watersnake, should he be not allowed to use a powerful boat also? He has obviously proved his worth as an angler or else he wouldn't be there. After all the show is about competition fishing, not who is the most likeable on camera or what their chosen fishing craft is.

I think he will do even better now that he can stand up and see more of the fish. Sitting down in a kayak all day doesn't give you the best angle to see the fish that's for sure.

I look forward to seeing the show when it goes to air.

Dell
Angler
Angler

Post by Dell » Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:34 pm

Put nabs on AFC
I heard that was his birthday wish

Tony Payne
Serious Angler
Serious Angler

Post by Tony Payne » Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:38 pm

WayneD wrote:
Tony Payne wrote:But do you think a Hobbie Kayaker should be thrown into a high powered craft to fish and compete on national TV if his chosen method of fishing is from a Kayak ?
Why not? Just because someone fishes out of a kayak or a rusty old boat with a transom mount 33lb watersnake, should he be not allowed to use a powerful boat also? He has obviously proved his worth as an angler or else he wouldn't be there. After all the show is about competition fishing, not who is the most likeable on camera or what their chosen fishing craft is.

I think he will do even better now that he can stand up and see more of the fish. Sitting down in a kayak all day doesn't give you the best angle to see the fish that's for sure.

I look forward to seeing the show when it goes to air.
Wayne, You win but you didnt get my point !

But I doubt an angler whom fishes out of a boat all year and enters boater comps all year will suddenly change over to a Kayak at the final hour to fish a fianl !

In no way was I putting down Kayak fisherpersons, I own two my self.

Wayne are you a Kayak fisherman ?

Cheers Tony
Cheers Tony

miked
Angler
Angler

Post by miked » Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:56 pm

Giddy-up KILLER!!!!!!
Hopefully we'll see some more fluff chuckin.

I like the Arenas but one day I'd love to see some of those Tassie bream on AFC (yes I know, $$$$ )

BTW Steve, can you divulge this years AFC commentators yet?

Cheers
MD
Last edited by miked on Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tony Payne
Serious Angler
Serious Angler

Post by Tony Payne » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:06 pm

miked wrote:Giddy-up KILLER!!!!!!
Hopefully we'll see some more fluff chuckin.

BTW Steve, can you divulge this years AFC commentators yet?

Cheers
MD
Mike see Steves post above about commentators, Him and Matt !
Cheers Tony

miked
Angler
Angler

Post by miked » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:10 pm

Opps! thanks Tony

WayneD
Beginner
Beginner

Post by WayneD » Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:39 pm

A comps a comp Tony I don't think it matters what you fish out of. If they announced that next year the AFC would be fished out of kayaks do you think Dizzy and all the other guys would back out, highly unlikely. They are competitive fisherman and it would add a new twist to their sport. Like Harry has said during a past AFC if he goes fishing and doesn't catch anything then at least while he is on the water he wants to learn something new. Fishing out of kayaks would definately be new to some/most of these guys.
Tony Payne wrote:
After all is said and done it is a business and sponsors may or may not have a say in what happens and specially if they are putting up 10-100 of thousands of advertising dollars.
Your probably right with this point as Hobie are a sponsor this year maybe they had something to do with it. But still he won the GF of the bream kayak event run by the ABT.

And yes you are right I do fish out of a kayak. I own a Hobie Revolution.

Tony Payne
Serious Angler
Serious Angler

Post by Tony Payne » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:12 am

WayneD wrote:
Tony Payne wrote:
Your probably right with this point as Hobie are a sponsor this year maybe they had something to do with it. But still he won the GF of the bream kayak event run by the ABT.

And yes you are right I do fish out of a kayak. I own a Hobie Revolution.
Opp's I am sorry Wayne i miss read the part of Scott getting in through the Kayak GF , :oops:
Cheers Tony