Kayak livewell for BASS

Tournaments and Tactics for bream, bass and barra anglers

Moderators: Big_unit, Simon Goldsmith, Stephen Booth, chris byrnes, Steve Morgan, Elliot Fooks

Buns
Angler
Angler

Kayak livewell for BASS

Post by Buns » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:42 am

marcel_krieger wrote:
We've squeezed all the Kayak events into the hectic ABT schedule with tournaments in all states. Bass electrics are fine to fish from your yak, there are already several anglers who do this and have qualified for the convention.

Fishing the Bass electrics out of my kayak sounds great, saves on the cost of yet another rig. What would the minister for war and finance say? One question please, Bass electric rules stipulate a 60 ltr livewell, the Hobie livewell holds at best 23 ltr. Is there a compromise?, as I can't see the Outback fitting a converted 60 ltr esky. What do the other guys do for a livewell in their kayaks?

Originally asked this question in Bream Kayak forum a little while ago, with no response. Just wondering how best to set up livewell for a kayak. Have several ideas on how to set up a reasonable reticulating system but it has got me beat on how to attain the 60 ltr capacity requiried without making the kayak unstable. Fish out of a Hobie Outback which is a very stable craft, but the height of a 60 ltr esky full of water raises the centre of gravitty a little too much.

Hope someone can help. A lot of info for bream but not for the poor old Bass.

Buns
'Born to fish, forced to work!'

Simon Goldsmith
B&B Admin
B&B Admin

Re: Kayak livewell for BASS

Post by Simon Goldsmith » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:25 am

Buns when it comes to kayaks we recommend that you install the largest size well that you can.

Water temp and volume are the two big killers of fish, so you'll want to minimise the water warming (insulation) and have as much water as the yak can handle.
Regards,

Simon Goldsmith
ABT Tournament Director
simon@fishingmonthly.com.au
(07) 3387 0888
0416 068 386

Tagged

Post by Tagged » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:49 am

Also, you can buy some paint from your local hardware that have excellent heat resistant abilities. May not look as good as the unpainted version, but it might be the difference between weighing in a winner. A black lid would be a bad idea.
Good luck, if it works for you I'm thinking of following you.
Tagged and Released

Buns
Angler
Angler

Post by Buns » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:20 am

Thanks, for the replies - now in the hunt for an esky of the right dimensions, will end up 25 - 30 ltr. Also on the drawing board working out a reticulating system similar to that of the Hobie wells - none return valve on an inline pump, skin fittings and drain tube utillising the scupper holes. Two main points have steared me away from the Hobie well is the price (custom jobby coming in under half the cost at the moment) and the round access hatch on the Hobie in my mind is just too small to allow for effective re-capturing of caught fish for upgrading (wishful thinking on my part). Don't feel like chasing bass round a livewell when you can't see them because your arm is in the way.

Will keep all posted through final developement stage and field testing. Planning is just as much fun as doing it.

Buns
Born to fish,forced to work.

WayneD
Beginner
Beginner

Post by WayneD » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:12 pm

I have a 35ktr esky that I am going to run an aerator in for the bream kayak comps. I went to purchase a bilge pump and skin fittings the other day but I think the pump hanging over the side of the yak needs some sort ofsupport bracket that I don't have time to manufature before next weekend. From last years comps people said that the bream survived just fine using only an aerator and a small bucket to scoop out some old water and put in some new every 1/2 hour or so.

I too will be dabbling in the bass electric rounds next year, can't wait.

Ian
Angler
Angler

Post by Ian » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:00 pm

While enthusiastic about kayaks wanting to fish the Bass Electrics, I do have some concerns regarding the size of the livewells. Primarily we want to release these Bass back into the dams in a healthy unstressed state. While a smaller livewell is fine on the smaller dams and with the catching of smaller bass, the larger dams like Wivenhoe pull 50cm plus Bass weighing up to 3 kgs which would struggle to live for long in a small livewell. Perhaps the size of the livewell should be geared to the dams at the very least and the Bass as the main criteria.

The shape and size of esky is also of importance. While it may have up to 35 litres it could be long and narrow and the fish will struggle to turn around and end up nose down in a corner, causing stress and possibly dying. I think you would all agree this defeats the purpose of the competition.

With the growing interest in kayak fishing and more participants each year, a separate tournament could be started with the limitations of kayaks and livewells taken into account while keeping in mind the health of the fish being caught with a 1 bass limit.

ian galloway

justcrusin
Angler
Angler

Post by justcrusin » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:04 pm

Gday guys I have been using the hobie live well for a while and holding Big fish is not a problem. I have had a 55cm flatty with three bream and two whiting in there four several hours when I was testing them out not a problem al healthy fish at the end. Admittedly I was on home waters around Central Coast NSW so not too hot.

The major problem as Simon said is the water temp and the flow, I have had the system weed up on me and the water flow slow to a trickle. Luckily this happens more around the mid - north NSW area that has a lot of weed so water temp isn't as much of a problem.

I don't think paint will work as the poly is notoriously hard to get stuff to stick to and have it stay there. Some sort of insulative wrap might be better, I get around the problem by having a scooper with me an on hot days every 10-15 minutes I throw a few extra scoops of water into the well. I am also planning on getting a second battery as the flow is a lot higher when the battery is fully charged.

I was planning on getting up to hunter rounds of the bass to give them a go.

Cheers Dave Hedge

ricsta

Post by ricsta » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:30 pm

i have fished a lot of electric comps and 23litres is not enough water to keep 2 bass healthy.

Ian
Angler
Angler

Post by Ian » Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:26 am

I think before too many people start spending money on undersized live wells the existing Bass Electric Rules need to be considered and possibly changed or revised otherwise the volunteers running the electric comps will have the added stress of deciding whether to let someone fish or not.

The current rules state 60 litres for a good reason and most of the existing Bass Electric boat owners have gone to alot of trouble and expense to ensure the fish are released in a HEALTHY STATE.

Two large bass I think will struggle in less than 60 litres of water. It is hard enough when fish are caught in deep cooler water and then put into a warmer water in the live well the difference in temperature and pressure can be very stressful for the fish.

Alternatively rules and number of bass kept in livewells under 60 litres need to be considered. The main focus of these comps is catch and release and the fish being returned in a healthy state.

ian galloway

Buns
Angler
Angler

Post by Buns » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:42 am

Buys,

I have finally come up with a Malleys esky, 50l with internal measurements of 45cm x 35cm x 32cm (water depth). This should amply accomodate 2 of any southern Bass, as time will prohibit me from doing any of the QLD Bass Electric rounds. The insulated qualities af any esky, coupled with the 50l capacity and reciculated water flow should keep two Bass more then happy. Many of the alloy craft competing in the Pro series only have 90 - 95l divided livewells which accomodate 4 Bass OK.

With the question of Barotrauma - that is an issue regardless of livewell size, no livewell can replicate the conditions at 10 metres or greater. I have also found that cold water in winter makes the problem worse as the fishes motabolism is slowed to a point that it takes that much longer to re absorbe swim bladder oxygen even when vented.

With water temps in live wells, that is an issue for all craft using livewells, be it a 24" Bass boat or Kayak. Water for all livewells is drawn from within 500mm of the surface. Which in summer can vary up to 10 degrees C or more then the water temp around the thermocline, particularly in southern dams were winter to summer surface temps can vary by 17 - 19 degrees. But insulating above deck wells is a must, as sun will soon warm the water in an uninsulated well eve further.

My personal thoughts are and have always been that we as Anglers should always care for our catch, wether it be intended for release or the table. It is only time that changes what is excetable. Fishing practices have definately changed over the last 30 to 40 years, but none more so than the last 10.

The input provided has been invaluable and trials on the well once complete will answer all questions. Just hopefully one day there may be a dedicated tournament series for Kayak anglers that live West of the Great Divide. Bass are the only practical species tollarent enough of livewell conditions, as Yellow Belly do not do well in livewells on a whole.

Bernie Austin

justcrusin
Angler
Angler

Post by justcrusin » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:29 am

The input provided has been invaluable and trials on the well once complete will answer all questions. Just hopefully one day there may be a dedicated tournament series for Kayak anglers that live West of the Great Divide. Bass are the only practical species tollarent enough of livewell conditions, as Yellow Belly do not do well in livewells on a whole.

Bernie Austin
Me an one of my mates were dicussing this an thought that probably not big enough for a whole series but definatley a few comps of trout fishing. Never kept a trout in a livewell but as they do ok in farm pens they should be alright. Plenty of southern rivers in VIC an NSW on both sides of the divide hold good trout.

Cheers Dave

Mick
Angler
Angler

Post by Mick » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:57 am

Not sure why people are of the assumption that the bass electric rules are so bass friendly. The rules state 60 litres per boat, but they also state :

“The number of competitors fishing from a boat must not
exceed the craft’s safety requirements”

So I can bring along a little tinny with a 4 person capacity and fish with 3 other people and only require a 60 litre live well for 8 bass.

The 60l capacity was only a carry over from the general bass and bream rules, with the total 60 litres required for holding 4 bass or 10 bream. But with the inclusion of yaks in the electrics I’m sure they will look at the rules and probably introduce a 25-30 litre per person live well capacity or similar. The events may have to be run with an all day weigh in option and if some one on a yak (or boat) actually catches 2 x 50cm bass, then they can be weighed and released and their fishing is over for the day, or if they catch 1 large fish they can weigh that in if they wish and continue fishing, but restrict it to 2 x fish weighed only. Nothing could be more fish friendly then catching, weighing, releasing.

Ian
Angler
Angler

Post by Ian » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:54 am

to keep this in perspective a 30 Litre container with internal dimensions of 20wide x50Long x30deep will have a diagonal length of 53.8 cm's. and an approximate weight of 30 kilograms of water and the container itself. this doesn't take into account the external dimensions of the container.

i think you would have no choice but to restrict the tank to only one fish and come to some arrangement where you can return to weigh in fish. However this will put more pressure on the volunteer Official running the event

ian galloway