Starting out in ABT events

Tournaments and Tactics for bream, bass and barra anglers

Moderators: Big_unit, Simon Goldsmith, Stephen Booth, chris byrnes, Steve Morgan, Elliot Fooks

Baden
Beginner
Beginner

Starting out in ABT events

Post by Baden » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:07 pm

Hi all,

I'm wanting to find as much info about ABT event protocol as I can.
I live in Wodonga Vic and have never fished for Bream before.

I would be starting out as a non boater so as to learn as much as I can.
A few points I would like answered are along the lines of the unspoken things, do I bring food on board for both?, do I pay the boater each day?, would I just be the netter for the days?, how much gear can I bring? 2 rods ok?, etc.
I'm willing do do what ever needs to be done however, I don't want to feel like i'm on a charter (ie a paying customer).

I'm assuming most have gone through these things when starting out but I can't find alot about it.
If there is a forum dedicated to this please post it up, or PM me.

Thankyou to all in advance.
Pround owner of a Stratos 176xt with 75 optimax........3 years of saved overtime.

leelee
Angler
Angler

Re: Starting out in ABT events

Post by leelee » Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:14 pm

Mate there was something in regards to the Etiquette of being a NB posted on here a while ago. I have tried to search for you and link you to that thread so you can get some insite into what goes on, but I can't find it sorry.

As for info surrounding rules etc look here - http://www.bream.com.au/abt/2009/breamrules09.pdf and for anything ABT related look here - http://www.bream.com.au

Cheers

Lee
Two fish swim into a concrete wall. The one turns to the other and
says, "Dam!"

Dodgyback
Serious Angler
Serious Angler

Post by Dodgyback » Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:53 pm

Hi Baden
As Lee said , have a look at bream .com and on this site aswell. Somewhere there is a great article written by Gray Fooks just for non boaters, it gives you a very good and real rundown of what to expect. Just can't find it at the moment, I'm sure some one will post up a link.

Take that step and become a non boater. you will enjoy it.

Cheers

Try This

http://www.bream.com.au/abt/whynotfish.pdf
I still hate Flathead

Baden
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Baden » Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:29 pm

Thanks Guys,
The article by Gary Fooks was just what I was after.

I'm planning on doing as many non boater events as I can for 2010, and I'll start using my own boat (Stratos 176xt w/75hp optimax) the following year.
My christmas list been sent to santa, so we'll see how many she, I mean he can get for me.

Thanks again

Regards
Pround owner of a Stratos 176xt with 75 optimax........3 years of saved overtime.

alpharipper
Angler
Angler

Post by alpharipper » Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:41 pm

Baden wrote:Hi all,

I'm wanting to find as much info about ABT event protocol as I can.
I live in Wodonga Vic and have never fished for Bream before.

I would be starting out as a non boater so as to learn as much as I can.
A few points I would like answered are along the lines of the unspoken things, do I bring food on board for both?, do I pay the boater each day?, would I just be the netter for the days?, how much gear can I bring? 2 rods ok?, etc.
I'm willing do do what ever needs to be done however, I don't want to feel like i'm on a charter (ie a paying customer).

I'm assuming most have gone through these things when starting out but I can't find alot about it.
If there is a forum dedicated to this please post it up, or PM me.

Thankyou to all in advance.
Hi and welcome aboard. I coul dnot find it either but the following you may have read http://www.bream.com.au/abt/2009/breamrules09.pdf which has some info that is handy.

I just started in Jan 09 Bream fishing and went into my first comp in June at Port Macquarie. I to had reservations on treatment and what to do. All I can say is jump in and have a go, pretty well all the torny fisherpesons are great and helpful.

I will answer some of your questions as to what I have found. Rods, I have been on boats that allow 3 to 6 rods. generally when you go to the briefing and get paired the boater will tell you what to bring and how many rods. I generally only take a smaller tackle bag and three to four rods if allowed. Ask your boater where he may be fishing so you get your rods ready the night before. Food, I always take extra for the boater and yes take some. i myself dont eat much whilst fishing but I have it there. Payment, I always take an envolope X 2 (one for each boater) with money in them. I give to the boaters as they have to get fuel. As for amounts some say 20 sometimes more. I find that quite often the boater does not except, you can hide it in there boat and tell them later. Up to you. I have never found to be a net boy for anyone, they will help as much as you help them, help unload and load boats as well. just be helpful. Equipment that get snagged can be lost as some boaters will not retrieve, some of the bats are worth a lot of money and they wont bash into rock to get a 30 buck lurer and why should they.

Make sure that if in big boats your gear can be stowed away and if not you can hold it. Rods and gear will fly out of these boats at 100km.

The most important thing is dont tell other boaters where you went the day before. If they go into the same area thats OK but dont let it come from your mouth. Anyway just get out there and do it, I hope this helps a little.
PB
Bream / Bait 42cm
Bream / Lures 38cm
Flathead Lure 94cm

Buns
Angler
Angler

Post by Buns » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:23 am

Baden,
I fish the Bass series as a non boater, no difference between the Bass and Bream except for the catch format. The Bass Pros love it when there are four fish on board (2 boater & 2non boater) and Bream guys are no different except they have a shared 5 fish format. All they guys are great to fish with and with the five fish format they are keen for you to do well, the better you go only helps them on the leader board.
Re rods and tackle as the other guys said, take the rods you wish to use, but confirm with each boater how many they can comfortably fit in the boat. Keeping all you gear compact and in one bag is important. Normally your tackle bag will go under your seat or infront of it so your legs are over it when travelling.
Yes take nibblies for both, I find snack type foods best as they are quick and easy to eat whilst fishing. A couple of drinks don't go astray either. I find I can pack everything in a soft 6 pack cooler which is easy to stow out of the way. I always offer money but have found a lot of the guys refuse. But every one appreciates some quality nibblies.
The most important thing is to respect the boats, and the boaters gear. Like you 3 years of overtime - they all had to bust their arses to have what their got, and a disrespectful non boater can make for a very intense day on the water. Respect them and their equipment and you will have a great day and learn heaps, as they say, 'Who shares wins'. You are fishing two up and every thing is a two way steet - but it is their boat.
The 2006 issue of the Tournament Angler guide has the story on starting out in tournament fishing titled 'Welcome to tournament fishing - rules in review by Gary Fooks.
What better way to learn more on lure fishing, boat usage, sounder reading, meet like minded people and have a great time doing what we all love - fishing.

Bernie

Bean
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Bean » Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:49 pm

Buns, ABT bream qualifiers are not a shared 5 fish limit, they are 5 fish each. Only the BREAM GF is a shared limit.

Baden
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Baden » Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:00 pm

Thanks Buns,
Again some good advice, I met a few ABTers at the Cod Classic on the week end, great bunch of people..
I'm planning to attend the Vic gippsland lakes round early in the new year, and go from there.

I also wanted to go to one of the Tas rounds, but turns out thats when the wife has booked a holiday to QLD.
Regards
Baden
**side note for admin, how can I read my PM's?, I can't PM you to check, please delete this from the posting**

karen
Angler
Angler

Post by karen » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:12 am

Hi Baden,

On the front page of this site to the right hand side you will see stories archive click on there and go to 23-6-08 and you will be able to read an article I wrote on non-boating called Confessions of a Non-Boater it might be of some help to you, all the best with your fishing, hope to see you around ABT soon

Karen