Tournament Etiquette

Tournaments and Tactics for bream, bass and barra anglers

Moderators: Big_unit, Simon Goldsmith, Stephen Booth, chris byrnes, Steve Morgan, Elliot Fooks

Tony Payne
Serious Angler
Serious Angler

Tournament Etiquette

Post by Tony Payne » Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:34 pm

After the weekend’s great comp at Somerset Dam I would like to put something to paper and see if anyone has a comment.

Seeming that there were no large schools of Bass hanging around in the multiple open flats which we anglers are accustomed to saw everyone trying to find a spare spot on a bank somewhere. Which seemed hard as the dirty influx made the situation even harder. But what took place from onlooking from afar was that after the first session saw anglers trying to un sportingly encroach on other anglers somewhat small piece of water that they have most likely pre fished and caught fish on. And at no point were they looked upon until after weigh in and seeing where the fish came from. This mainly is directed at the top 10 placed anglers ( Boaters )

Sunday morning I witnessed from a distance a verbal confrontation from a couple of anglers over a out right rude move to try and fish what I call taken water from the position of the boat in question. The motto

“ Who Shares Wins “ is great but only for the info of tackle , technique , and anything else asked but not on final day when a number of anglers have a chance at the podium . Leave these guys/girls alone and go find your own fish. And if you do manage to make it to the podium under un sporting tactics it will be a very soft achievement and all around will know.

I know others saw this and did not agree but are there any thoughts or do we just accept it as part of the sport ?
Cheers Tony

Robert Bartlett
Angler
Angler

Post by Robert Bartlett » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:56 pm

A similar situation seems to happen at any tournament, especially those that are a bit tough. Once the first session is finished the top 10 seem to be magnets for those people that have struggled to find fish during the pre-fish or the first session or have no real plan.

It also seems to be no fluke that the same people tend to get up around the top ten. Even when they don't get off to a good start on the first session, they stick to a game plan that they have worked out in the pre-fish. I have heard a few of the top guys say after finishing down the field that the only mistake they did was to drift away from their plan.

It is always tempting to fish the same areas that the top 10 or so are getting fish from, but it is just common courtesy to let them work their areas and if they leave then, and only then, move in from a reasonable distance.

I for one would prefer to fish my own game plan even if the fish don't seem to come as they did during the pre-fish. It is very frustrating however when a spot you were always going to fish as per your game plan already has a boat working it, but it's always first in first served.

After all we are all at the tournaments because we enjoy the company and the fishing aren't we?? When we let winning above all costs impede with our sense of fair play and friendly rivalry thats when problems arise.

My two cents worth anyway. Rob

Fassbasstd
Keen Angler
Keen Angler

Post by Fassbasstd » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:17 pm

We've been down this track many times over the years Tony.

The only way it can be stopped is to tell the offending encroachers to "fook off out of my space".

Its been done before and it works.

Robert Bartlett
Angler
Angler

Post by Robert Bartlett » Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:44 am

Well said Mal.

Rob

tomdeer
Angler
Angler

Post by tomdeer » Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:52 pm

This is always an interesting issue and I don't really know that there is an answer to it. The situation described above basically comes down to bad manners.

I guess the ABT has set out rules regarding the distance between boats and that in a way should solve this problem. However, The ABT hasn't any set penalty or way of policing this issue, unlike weight penalties for late return of the key tag. Likewise, there is no stipulated penalty for passing other competitors whilst within a speed restricted area, all that is said is that the competitor MAY be disqualified.

Perhaps we need documented weight penalties for certain offences. But that still doesn't answer the question of how these offences are policed.

I know from experience in Bream tournaments that if a competitor is camped on a school of fish and doesn't want anyone else to get in on the action that they manuvure their boat towards anyone else who gets too close, thus pushing the 30meter rule.

There are always those people in society that display bad manners, pushing in or jumping the que for example. Why do we think that our society is any different? There is very little that I see that can be done about it, other than to set penalties and police tournaments. But a simpler method is to just set a good example yourself and hope that others follow your lead.

Dave Hislop
Angler
Angler

Post by Dave Hislop » Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:21 pm

What ever happened to "Etiquette"........yeah right!!!

$$$Money, Big Prizes on offer, change and show the true character of these type of people (Prize Pigs with the attitude problem)

I have witnessed between other competitors many times the move in / push out attitude that some people have when you hear "Hey, I was fishing here 2 hrs ago, so this is my zone" After they have roared down the dam and pulled up in between boats that are fishing, as if other people weren't there.

Only dogs pee on trees to mark their turf.....

There are only a few who do this, and it is those that wreck a top weekend for others. It happens at any fishing tournament whether it be fresh or salt.

I commend the fisho's that stay at one spot for a tournament, and yes most people know and can see, that you are working an area and usually give you the respect of keeping clear.

Mal, your statement could not be said better.......but guess what, you can't change bad dogs.

Lets get back to the BIG PICTURE of enjoying fishing with other fishos or ya mates........I do

Cheers

Dave
www.bassinqldseries.com.au
BASSIN....LIVE IT....LEARN IT....LOVE IT !!!
PROUD TO BE SPONSORED BY: PLATYPUS & RIDGEBACK LURES

Bruce Anderson
Angler
Angler

Post by Bruce Anderson » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:37 pm

Felt sorry for Killer during the second session.
But it isn't in his nature to tell people off.
Nobody was game to go near Harry though, and so they shouldn't of. Would have got a arrow through the heart.

mick400
Beginner
Beginner

Post by mick400 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:07 pm

No they wouldn't Bruce,Harry can't shoot for sh!% :lol: :lol:
Cheers,

Mick

DaveW
Keen Angler
Keen Angler

Post by DaveW » Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:45 pm

Simple solution - during pre-fish carry A4 posters claiming your spots eg. "DaveW will fish here on the first day - stay away" and put them all over your favorite areas :D

Make sure to put these signs on places you know other people like to fish, claiming them too.

Hell, whack them on other peoples boats so you can come within 30m...........

Being jumped on is never a good feeling. But the example is set at almost every event sometimes by people who have been fishing long enough to know better, and are the first to start screaming when it happens to them.

Real solution? I plan to retaliate in kind. I've been jumped on pretty badly this year and when the opportunity presents itself I will return the favour. Bring me down to their level? Yep.
Make me feel better? Yep.
Will they learn something? Probably not.
DaveW

30m rule be damned - a lure in the head wins everytime..........

BillD
Beginner
Beginner

Post by BillD » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:02 am

Just tick the optional extra box that says "Orange cannon" when you order your next boat or have an after market one fitted :lol: :lol: :lol: If it only fires 30 meters no one should be worried!

UdlMan
Angler
Angler

Post by UdlMan » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:24 pm

Just paint a big X on the side of your boat, and tell anyone if they fish within the 30m of that spot, watch out.

Brad.
Proud to be assocated with EcoGear. The benchmark for all soft plastics. ~<><

Fassbasstd
Keen Angler
Keen Angler

Post by Fassbasstd » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:54 pm

I have a yellow card and a red card in my boat. Both have been brandished from time to time. Cheaper than a cannon.
But then, a slingshot and 1 oz sinkers would work too !!

PS Harry's scared of rubber snakes ha ha

gonad
Angler
Angler

Post by gonad » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:50 pm

Dave W said
Real solution? I plan to retaliate in kind. I've been jumped on pretty badly this year and when the opportunity presents itself I will return the favour. Bring me down to their level? Yep.
Make me feel better? Yep.
Will they learn something? Probably not.
Indeed, don't get mad, get even and make sure it is served cold
I really can't fish

DanR
Beginner
Beginner

Post by DanR » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:07 am

I'm not sure if it would work but how about a 100 or 200 metre rule for the top 10 as they head out on sunday if it is an edge bite?

Barry_O
Keen Angler
Keen Angler

Post by Barry_O » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:04 am

It would be great to have penalties to contain rulebreakers or people who encroach on the etiquette of our sport.
Trouble is it is like laws that are made but remain unenforced simply because it is not possible to police those laws because manpower etc limitations required to do it.
Maybe think about doing what the yanks do and have only the top 10 or 12 anglers fish the last day.
That would stop a lot the angst that has been happening ongoing for a looong time.
This argument is raised on a regular basis and from my own observations usually involves the same people breaching the rules/etiquette.
If you are like me though you try and sort it out on the water and don't want to be a "dobber".
Unfortunately some of these people have become immune to abuse and acheive selective deafness when you try to advise them of the error of their ways.

Regards
Barry O

Mick

Post by Mick » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:51 am

There is very little etiquette shown in any competitions these days and some very well known and respected anglers have been some of the worst offenders. I have had boats drop in on me (< 30m) more times than I can remember, so these days I am more than happy to pull up 30 m away from other boats, where as in the past I would have given a lot more room.

The top 10 anglers of a comp offend just as much as the bottom 10, I have seen a tournament leader in a bream comp travel a couple of k's down river towards me at WOT and then pull up 10 m away because he wanted to fish the same piece of structure I was already on.

There is never going to be a penalty imposed even if a complaint is made, as it is one anglers word against another in relation to the 30 m distance.

So I say if you cant beat them, join em :twisted:

Michael A Creighton

Post by Michael A Creighton » Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:18 pm

Hey Guys.
Harry here on different computer. I think the can't beat em join em is crazy. I've talked to a few anglers about this problem over a period of time and I recon we should just ask the angler who is fishing a section how much room he wants. If he is there first and only wants a reasonable area then give it to him.
I got dropped on twice on the weekend and it cost me a fish both times. I was only fishing 100mtrs of bank back and forth.
Sometimes if someone is pointed the other way you think it's ok to drop in but it is real easy to ask.
If you havn't fished an area in the first or second session it's pretty rude to pull in on someone. I lost a grand final 2 yrs ago by 70gms, never had a boat in my area in first session, by sunday had a dozen on me, I think it cost me dearly. But that was my fault for not speaking up early.
We've probably all done it at times but it's time to be more respectful and demand respect.
However if you move off your area then thats your bad luck and the poachers and followers(vultures) get the spoils.
Thats my opinion for what it's worth.
PS- MICK400- Cock ur asse up at 30mtrs and see if i can pop an arrow in it, of it is a big target though !!!!!!
Harry

gonad
Angler
Angler

Post by gonad » Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:12 pm

Whip an 1/8th oz jighead past the ears of the offender, if you hit them then they were too close
I really can't fish

Bruce Anderson
Angler
Angler

Post by Bruce Anderson » Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:32 pm

Harry,

You are right in what you say .
Micks ass is huge.
Last edited by Bruce Anderson on Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DanR
Beginner
Beginner

Post by DanR » Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:19 pm

Bruce please dont use this forum to tell us about your most intimate private moments with Mick just keep them in a special place in your own mind.

Bruce Anderson
Angler
Angler

Post by Bruce Anderson » Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:48 pm

Dan youv'e always got to take it to that next level. :oops: :oops:
Any money Micks already started his diet.
Lets get back on track this forum is about dropping in, not about Micks butt.