2008 Suggestions BASS Pro

Tournaments and Tactics for bream, bass and barra anglers

Moderators: Big_unit, Simon Goldsmith, Stephen Booth, chris byrnes, Steve Morgan, Elliot Fooks

Steve Morgan
B&B Admin
B&B Admin

2008 Suggestions BASS Pro

Post by Steve Morgan » Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:36 am

ABT-ers,

Barry Oxford pre-empted this thread.

Let us know how you'd like the BASS Pro series refined for 2008 and beyond.....

Try to make the suggestions for the 'good of the sport' ... not necessarily your your own benefit!

Cheers,

SM
ABT
ph:(07) 3387 0888
fax: (07) 3887 0889

Kanfish
Keen Angler
Keen Angler

Post by Kanfish » Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:29 am

Steve,

Only two things I can think of off the top of my head.

1. Pray for rain

2. If possible, bring the briefing on the Friday Night ahead an hour or two. This might let people hang around and mingle a bit more prior to the events. As it is everyone is struggling to stay awake after the pre-fish (More likely the pre-pre-fish drinks on the Thursday).
Pimp my Lure, Impact Tackle, Kanfish Reel Maintenance, Pimp my Reel

Jami K

Rossco
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Rossco » Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:39 am

Hi Guys,

I believe the qualifying for the Grand Final of non boaters should be the same as the boaters with the top 2 going directly through and the rest AOY. It rewards consistentsy and means there will a more non boaters fishing the whole circuit or at lest three events. As there are guys that have consistently finished around the top 10 all year and have missed out and if that was the boaters they would be in the Grand Final.

That my 2 cents so far.

Cheers
Ross Murray

william
Beginner
Beginner

Post by william » Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:11 am

hi
I also think that is would be a good idea to have non-boaters get in by AOY.
William

MickC
Angler
Angler

Another NSW round

Post by MickC » Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:12 pm

Any chance of having 3 NSW rounds each year?

Mick.

mr bass
Angler
Angler

Re: Another NSW round

Post by mr bass » Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:13 pm

MickC wrote:Any chance of having 3 NSW rounds each year?

Mick.
ill second that,just as many punters in n.s.w wanting to do these comps too.maybe have a limited number for the third one on lostock dam(as this is not a large dam) consisting of the non qualifiying highest place getters from the first two n.s.w rounds.?????say 10 from each round.last chance for a grand final qualify.(without travelling to queensland).

UdlMan
Angler
Angler

Post by UdlMan » Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:27 pm

How about making it possible to Pay membership and comp fees online.

Brad.
Proud to be assocated with EcoGear. The benchmark for all soft plastics. ~<><

Duck

Post by Duck » Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:56 pm

A third NSW round would be good and for the good of the sport why not try Brogo Dam in the south of the state. Talking to guys who fish there they tell me that whilst a small dam it can handle 50 – 60 boats as it is a long shallow dam with a reasonable surface area. It has been producing 50 cm plus fish in recent times and is currently at 102% Other than that what about a shoalhaven river event??? Living in Queensland I’m not keen on the travel, however, as Steve mentioned this is not about what’s good for the individual. At least it will spread our sport out of the Hunter Valley in NSW and may attract a few Mexicans into Bassin.

Kanfish
Keen Angler
Keen Angler

Post by Kanfish » Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:39 am

To keep everybody happy, how about a six event series with 3 QLD and 3 NSW rounds making it a bit more of a State of Origin thing.

G/F and Megabucks locations determined by the winning State.

I'd also like to see a minimum requirement to fish three rounds for qualification for the GF, whether you win an event or not.

Jami K

mick400
Beginner
Beginner

Post by mick400 » Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:46 am

Guys,

My two bobs worth is on a similar above mentioned subject,G/Final Qualifications.

I would like to see qualification to the G/F for both N/Boater & Boater be by AOY points only not automatically by top 6 for N/Boater and top 2 for Boater winnersat each event.
In this instance i believe that once an angler,be it Boater or Non Boater has qualified this way they would not be inclined to travel to the rest of the rounds.

OR

If it was to stay the same at least give the travelling angler a bonus for putting in the miles to help their AOY points and a possibility of qualifying through AOY points compared to fishing and winning or coming in the top 2 or 6 be it Boater or Non Boater and only doing one or two so to speak local dams.

For example,Still have AOY points based on your best 3 finishes but for every round you turn up to you automatically recieve 20pts therefore if you fish the 5 rounds you will straight away be on 100 AOY points and the total AOY points would then be out of 400.You would then add on your finishing position points be it you have 5 finishes in 30th position which would give you another 355 points, so in total you are on 455 points before you drop your worst 2 rounds ie drop 142 leaving you on 313 points out of a possible 400 points

This is just my two bobs worth in rewarding those of us who clock up the miles and may not be as good/lucky as others who can get to the G/F from fishing just one/two comps only.
Cheers,

Mick

The Cowboy
Angler
Angler

Post by The Cowboy » Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:05 pm

With small lake surface areas and low levels some tournaments are overcrowded.

A second division might be a good idea, e.g. anyone fulfilling the ABT's requirements can enter an intermediate division tournament.

From there ranking is required to qualify for and allows a cap on numbers for Pro events.

Cheers
Chris
Best regards

Chris Galligan

http://www.versusmeiho.com.au
info@versusmeiho.com.au

Breamster
Angler
Angler

Post by Breamster » Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:53 pm

Good day,
I like the 3 Qld & 3 NSW events state of origin idea, where like bream events Qld anglers qualify through the 3 Qld events & NSW anglers though the 3 NSW events.Each states top 15 boaters & non boaters make it though to the State of origin Grand final where indivual & state team results count & the grand finals telivised like the bream GF.

Interstate qualification will help minimize boat traffic with low water levels, hence two divisions.Inter state anglers still can fish inter state events if they wish.

Each state also hosts a Bass Major/Super Series each with 10K 1st prize like the bream super series events.

My 2 cents worth.
Cheers Breamster

BillD
Beginner
Beginner

Post by BillD » Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:23 pm

It would be great to have 1 or 2 wild card entries into the grand final. For each tourny you fish you get a ticket that goes into the draw that way there is an incentive to fish more tournaments even if you are not doing really well in AOY and a great incentive for anglers just starting out.

BJ
Angler
Angler

Post by BJ » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:47 pm

How about splitting Qld & NSW altogether and have a Bass GF for each state. That way there is no need to travel interstate to have to qualify as well as reduce the numbers of competitors on the dams but should increase the numbers fishing within their own State. There may be enough interest in each state to justify this and should increase the takings for the organisor.

Qualify for the Grand Final on AOY points only so that you have to fish the rounds. Those who fish consistently get rewarded.

Briefing at 7 or 7.30pm. Most people are there anyway having a prefish.

Bruce Anderson
Angler
Angler

Post by Bruce Anderson » Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:23 pm

Mick 400,

Great minds think alike. Your thoughts put forward perfectly. AOY points only qualifying format can reward those anglers that have done the hard yards through the year . For those guys that have fished all or most of the events.
Might help those guys like me a bit that weren't good ( unlucky ) enough to make it :( :(

Cheers Bruce

Justin Scott
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Justin Scott » Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:31 pm

G'day All

* G/F qualification should only be through AOY points. This will encourage people to travel interstate & fish all rounds. This should get the best 30 anglers into the Grand final, not somebody that comes first or second & doesn't fish another round.

* Maybe a discount on entry fees for people who do enter all qualifing rounds.

* Non boater qualification the same format as boaters. Potentially a non boater can place 7th in every round & not qualify. He/She would probably be the most consistent non boater all year & not make the G/F.

*Champion AOY to be decided from total points from all qualifing rounds as you should be rewarding the most consistent angler for the entire year.

*Try to even out the gap between tournaments. I think this year we had a break in the Bass of over 2 Months & then 2 within 4 weeks in QLD. This made it hard on iterstate travellers.

* Some easy way for Bruce to make a grandfinal, Boy are we sick of his whinging & whining. :lol:

Justin Scott

Bring on Next Week

tonypenny
Angler
Angler

Post by tonypenny » Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:40 pm

Even if Bruce was the only one in the event he'd still come second

Bruce Anderson
Angler
Angler

Post by Bruce Anderson » Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:51 pm

I think you 2 are just jealous cause i still have my hair. And Justin you have got the sh!% because Maree has still got the hots for me. :P :P
Last edited by Bruce Anderson on Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Phil Bevis

Post by Phil Bevis » Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:57 pm

Many non boaters are in a position where they cannot compete as competitivley as boaters because of a number of reasons. It can be from financial restraints, getting time off work, unable to afford quality equipment etc. Many of our leading boaters including AOY high achievers have been fortunate enough to have earned some sponsorship and this has helped them to achieve through quality gear and presence.
If we start applying the same rules to the non boaters to achieve AOY points to qualify for the grand final we must be careful that we don't unwittingly forever trap people to the back of the field. Especially with having to be there for a specific number of comps.

For those pushing the AOY for non boaters. Do you think that if you don't get in on the placings that you will get a chance from AOY points.

catch_n_cod
Beginner
Beginner

Post by catch_n_cod » Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:05 pm

Hi Guys, I think the boater qualifications work quite well by rewarding top 2 or 3 in a round and also rewards consistancy through the year. My suggestion is to work non boater qualification the same. Not all people can fish every round so a reward system for every round fished may not be fair to all.
I also think that cards for weekend pairings for non-boaters as well as boaters would be helpful even if they were both handed to the boater at the briefing and they pass it on. I think this would help save alot of confusion. A wild card entry for a boater and a non boater to the final and some sort of prize draw with an entry ticket for each round fished as an incentive for people to fish more rounds.
Sponsered by: Too much work, NOT ENOUGH FISHING. Other sponsers most welcome.

Phil Bevis

Post by Phil Bevis » Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:52 pm

From thoughts that have been expressed by bassers, we can see we are throwing ideas around on how we can improve our competition with equity and fairness to all competitors.
Perhaps a survey/questionaire attached on the flip side of the entry form we can gauge the thoughts and comments by all boater and non-boater competitors for future comps in conjunction with the forum. This may better help give the information to ABT managment that they seek to build a top competition.

miked
Angler
Angler

Post by miked » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:48 pm

I know this suggestion won't be popular with some and I respect their opinions but for several reasons I think it would be a leveller playing field for all and much cheaper to fish the whole series if the Fri prefish was dropped.

1- Some people just can't get the Thur & Fri off work (Thur for interstate comps) These anglers are already at a dissadvantage over those who can.

2- With some entry fees now $330 (not complaining about that) and fuel prices getting up there the prefish day considerably adds unnecessary costs to the weekend:- losing a days wages, accom for 1 more day and a bit more boat fuel would add another $150 to $200 to the trip. If you did the whole series and throw in 1 or 2 bream comps that's easily over a grand on to my yearly tournament costs just because of the Fri prefish.

3- As mentioned in the bream thread the fish have had a rest for two weeks then all of a sudden they get belted the day before the comp.

You could suggest this change would give the locals an advantage but you can't be a local at every dam and what goes around comes around.
Shouldn't we be striving for a series where the all the GF qualifiers are the most consistent anglers throughout the year and not the guys with the most disposable income or flexible work arrangements.
I would suggest a prefish day still be permitted before the GF though.
Anyway that's my 2 cents worth, please feel free to kick the sh!% out of it.
Cheers
Mike

Kanfish
Keen Angler
Keen Angler

Post by Kanfish » Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:07 am

I think I mentioned it last year, but wouldn't it be easier to throw some of these ideas up as polls so that the guys could vote on them, then you would get a true idea as to how popular these ideas really are.

I can't say that I completely agree with dropping the pre fish though as going out and pinning fish does not necessarily guarantee you of catching fish in the same locations during the comps. I've caught far to many big fish on the friday only to donut the comp to believe that.

A lot of the time it's just driving around laying down GPS tracks so you can find your way around the dam in the foggy mornings.

Jami K

Tony Payne
Serious Angler
Serious Angler

Post by Tony Payne » Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:13 am

As Steve stated he wants views for the better of the Tournament not for the anglers own benefit.

I see a few of these comments reflecting for the good of ones own being and not the Tournament.

Distance and travel and rewards all come into this topic every season and yes it may boil down to if you can afford, get time off work, or family or what ever. Consistency is a big thing and the cream will always rise to the top over a period of time which has shown in the history of ABT tournaments. I wish everyone who does the 1000’s of miles every year to get on top all the luck and proof in the A.O.Y points shows whom they are and how hard they work to get there. Good on them ! But stop complaining about the distance of these events…………simple if you don’t want to drive don’t fish them.

I reckon leave the High entry fee comps $330.00 ones but pay down the field further . I don’t think ABT thought they would still get as many boats as they did J shows the backing from anglers though.

Throw in a wild Teams Tournament of say $500 per team…….this is still less then if you entered a $330.00 comp and split the AOY points up for this round only. We can all be trusted by now and would be fun .

This year due to what ever reason there is no shootout prize up for grabs and only the boat and USA trip now.

I think that the Boaters should get a prize of greater value then the non-boater , most boats the Non boaters get are more value then the USA trip. Not everyone wants to go to the states but would gladly sell the boat and pay for there next years fees. And I am sure it is not only my thoughts on this prize !

I agree dump the pre fish day before and let everyone go out the next day cold and learn to find fish real quick. So many fish get stung on the pre fish day its not funny. I know it the anglers fault but they can not help them self. And I am sure some just go out on pre fish day and look where the local anglers and top anglers go . We have a general idea of the Dams now and what time of year the fish are doing what and work it out from the Weather on the day.
Cheers Tony

Breamster
Angler
Angler

Post by Breamster » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:01 pm

I agree with Tony.Not everyone wants to go to the states and I would gladly recycle the cash of such a trip into my yearly tournament running costs.

Instead of the pre fish day maybe it would be smarter in making it a sounder day with no fishing?

Tony the main aim of this thread is designed to though and bounce idea's around to make our ABT comps better, no matter how silly or stupid they sound. I know quite alot of quality anglers that would be right up there in the pointy end that don't fish it because of the inter state travel.Having a Qld and NSW inter state qualificantion is a great idea and will not only grow the ABT membership, save anglers running costs, but take some boating pressure off the over crowded events especially on the smaller impoundments.

If you don't agree with some comments fine, but give them the respect they deserve.

Breamster