Aussie Women Anglers Leading The Charge!

Tournaments and Tactics for bream, bass and barra anglers

Moderators: Big_unit, Simon Goldsmith, Stephen Booth, chris byrnes, Steve Morgan, Elliot Fooks

How far off are we from having a women's league in Australia?

3-5 years
15%
6-10 years
31%
11-15 years
54%

Total votes: 26

Jim Xyga
Beginner
Beginner

Aussie Women Anglers Leading The Charge!

Post by Jim Xyga » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:57 pm

While we're all rooting for Kim Bain in her campaign over in the States, another gun female angler has emerged right here at home.

NSW tournament angler Vicki Winter has jumped to the top of both the Non-Boater Rankings and the AOY after a string of consistent top ten finishes this year. Her eleventh at the Mercury Lake Macquarie BREAM Challenge last weekend was enough to elevate her to the top in both categories. The pros will certainly be given a nudge when this talented young lady gets her own glass or tin under her feet!

She fishes well, presents well on the podium and is a great ambassador for our sport. She is also a delight to talk to and very generous with her time and tips, so go up and say hello to her at the next tournament.

Let's hope we see more women of all ages joining what is a truly woderful sport.

Congratulations Vicki, you truly are a champion! :lol:

Jim Xyga.
Last edited by Jim Xyga on Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
ON EXPENSIVE JAPANESE LURES:

"It is better to have cast and lost, than to never have cast at all."

Dodgyback
Serious Angler
Serious Angler

Post by Dodgyback » Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:23 pm

Does that mean the non boaters fish like girls :wink:
With the Tweed and Goldy yet to come , I have $2 on Peter Kelliher being on top.

Mick

Jim Xyga
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Jim Xyga » Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:44 pm

I reckon most of the non-boaters and a fair few boaters, would love to be able to fish like Vicki, myself included.

I'll see your $2 and raise it to $5 for Vicki ending up on top! :lol:

Jim.
Last edited by Jim Xyga on Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rich P
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Rich P » Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:57 pm

It could be sooner than we think looking at the amount of complaining on the disadvantage of a tinnie post LOL LOL :P :shock: :D :lol: :roll: :roll:

Rich

leelee
Angler
Angler

Post by leelee » Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:29 pm

I don't think we need a women’s league to be honest because I bet Vicki loves the challenge of beating and competing against the best no matter what sex they are.

I think its great to have competent women in a male dominated sport and she gives most of the field a run for their money. Just wait till she is a boater.

Keep it up Vicki.

Cheers

Lee
Two fish swim into a concrete wall. The one turns to the other and
says, "Dam!"

Brad H
Angler
Angler

Post by Brad H » Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:16 pm

Hi Jim Xyga,
Having fished alonside Kim for many years, I know only too well the trials she undertook as a non boater, the rednecks barely gave her a chance at fish, but she still won money, rated #1 Female in 2004 FLW series as well.
She always said the Aussie guys at least gave her some credit and were always courteous. Now she has every chance of taking on the bubba's in their own pond. :lol:

Go the girls!!!!! sure as hell better than lookin at Starlo all day :D

Brad
"Do, or do not. There is no try."

Proudly associated with
Whoever will put up with me :D

Mim
Angler
Angler

Post by Mim » Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:46 pm

That is awesome news to hear that Vicky is on top.

Having fished the comps for 5 years I know that at times it can be difficult fishing the comps as a female. I think I was the first female to fish a grand final and I was treated as a bit of a novelty, but after qualifying 3 times for a grand final it has changed as I am as competitive as the next bloke or girl.

When I first started a few of the guys were not too happy that I was competing and doing ok. My second year fishing I competed as a boater and landed a spot in the grand final. My non-boater on the second day was a little unsure on how I would go, seeing as I was female. To tell the truth I did a crap job, as I was in a borrowed boat with a half broken leccy, fishing water that I didn't know, with tides I had never experienced and fishing racks, which you didn't get in WA, but I had fun.

Most of the guys know me now and treat me with a fair amount of respect, which is great and I do know that some times they are not impressed when they get beat by a girl.

I have seen a lot more women come into the sport and know most of them and we all get on pretty well together.

I am happy fishing as an equal with the boys and do not see the need to have a womens league, but it would be nice to see some more women competing.

Go the girls and once again well done Vicky for being on top.

Mim
Life is short

Lets go fishing

karen
Angler
Angler

Aussie Women Anglers Leading The Charge

Post by karen » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:29 pm

Keep it up Vicky you are doing so well and should be very proud,hope to see you join the ranks of the boaters soon, I for one don't want a seperate event for women as I enjoy the competetion we have and seeing we don't need brute strength to handle a boat I cant see the disadvantage to women as it is, Karen Berry :D :D

Juggs

Post by Juggs » Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:41 am

Rich P wrote:It could be sooner than we think looking at the amount of complaining on the disadvantage of a tinnie post LOL LOL :P :shock: :D :lol: :roll: :roll:

Rich
Havnt been in a tinny in a while have you?
i saw it as open discussion on a valid point not complaining no need to demean us especially comming from a sponsord angler

Rich P
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Rich P » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:10 am

Juggs

Im not going to get into a slanging match with someone that doesnt put there own name down for starters.
I suggest you reread the topic and then get back to me.
So Juggs your left without a bite mate.
have a good day. :D :D :roll:
Rich

c carney
Beginner
Beginner

Post by c carney » Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:02 pm

I think women in all sports is a great thing as they add to the depth of poeple competing For example adding to numbers, prize funds & exposure for the sport. I have a young daughter and i would be very happy if she was interested in tournament fishing in the future.

So my feelings are bring in the girls the more the better.

Hungryone
Angler
Angler

Post by Hungryone » Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:47 pm

Go the girls!
I dont mind getting a whip..i mean beating from the talented women who fish in the ABT comps. :wink:
The more the better i reckon. :D

Juggs,
I think Rich is talking tounge in cheek about all the sooking,biatching moaning and groaning on the other post.
Most of it was mine :P
:D Adam

Rich P
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Rich P » Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:11 pm

LOL Adam

How did you know. :D
Rich

Hungryone
Angler
Angler

Post by Hungryone » Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:33 pm

It wasnt hard to read between the lines mate :lol:
But I`m all better now! :wink:
:D Adam

The Iceman
Angler
Angler

Post by The Iceman » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:04 pm

Tournie fishing isnt gender biased so there is really no need for a women only tournie
My 9yr old daughter loves fishing and I hope one day that we can enter tournies together
too cool to stress

c carney
Beginner
Beginner

Post by c carney » Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:15 pm

Good call iceman that is what i am looking forward to my daughter is a bit younger so i will have to wait. But the good sign is she is obsessed with fish tank so fingers crossed lol.

normk
Beginner
Beginner

Post by normk » Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:16 am

Congratulations Vicky

I was wondering how long it was going to be before somebody finally overtook me, and shore enough I had my money on the right one.
You disserve it Vicky. You’re a dedicated angler how puts in the time and effort and it shows with consistent finishes in competition.
You must have a grin from ear to ear at the moment so take full advantage of your achievements and keep up the good work if you want to stay on top. NO slacking off OK.
You’re going to be hard to catch for sometime to come. Congratulations again. You girls are champions.

Norm :D

barra'd_up
Angler
Angler

Post by barra'd_up » Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:00 am

Kicking butt Vick!
I too have had the pleasure of fishing with her, she is a talented, thinking angler who works hard and deserves everything that comes her way. On top of that she is a great person and one of the most level headed people I know.
Well done Vicky!
Jas

KYLIES
Beginner
Beginner

vicky for number 1#

Post by KYLIES » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:32 pm

Dottyback wrote:Does that mean the non boaters fish like girls :wink:
With the Tweed and Goldy yet to come , I have $2 on Peter Kelliher being on top.

Mick
dottyback that comment is just crap ill take your $2 and raise it $20 then i (and many others) would like to put you in a boat side by side with Vick (bet you would go out the underdog bass or bream) and with attitude of non boaters fish like females you would come home with your skirt between your legs!!!!!!!! :twisted: .
Not only is she a great person but one of the best anglers Ive ever had the privilege meet from bream to big game she is amazing and we could all learn so much from this fantastic lady.

Keep it up your number 1#

Dodgyback
Serious Angler
Serious Angler

Post by Dodgyback » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:27 pm

Hi Kylie
Sorry for the delay in replying but I've been on holiday. (getting some fishing lessons from the wife and kids )
No doubt Vicki is a great fishing chick , but my two bucks is still on Peter K.

So save your 20 bucks you may need to buy some more eyeliner once it runs after seeing Vicki drop down a place . :wink:

Cheers

Mick :lol:

Jim Xyga
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Jim Xyga » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:26 am

Miss Consistency, Vicki Winter, placed 5th at the recent Gold Coast Qualifier, with one of only two full NB bags for the round and well ahead of the very talented Peter Kelleher...and Trent Fahey, who leads the NB AOY.

I'm gonna have a beer and toast her with my $5.00

What are you doin with your $20.00 Kylie?

:lol:

Jim.
Last edited by Jim Xyga on Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dodgyback
Serious Angler
Serious Angler

Post by Dodgyback » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:08 am

I didn't doubt her for a minute :oops:

Looks as if Trent fahey is my fave to finish on top. Sorry Peter but it's time to back some one else now. :cry:
Mick

miked
Angler
Angler

Post by miked » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:01 pm

I recon a one off wildcard team of girls in the 2009 AFC could go down well with both male & female viewers Steve, and also bring more girls into the ranks. Maybe Vicky W - Bream plus Ms Cornish - Bass & Ms Sanderson - Barra. You could probably kick out a few of the ugly old buggers to fit them in if need be.
Mike

Bruce Anderson
Angler
Angler

vw

Post by Bruce Anderson » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:00 am

[You could probably kick out a few of the ugly old buggers to fit them in if need be.
Mike[/quote]

Yeh Motty :D

KYLIES
Beginner
Beginner

Our Number 1

Post by KYLIES » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:00 pm

yet again this girl has come up with the goods!!!!!!
Well done Vick YOU ARE THE ONE and after I collect from the lovely dodgyback I will Catch up with you and have a beer.

I am so very glade that my first pick was the WINNER No change of horse
when the finish line draws near ???????? :oops:

looking forward to see who your grand final pick will be guys and girls
Ill go Double or nothing for my girl to come up with the goods. :twisted:

Kylie