SCSWFF Bass On Fly 2008

Tournaments and Tactics for bream, bass and barra anglers

Moderators: Big_unit, Simon Goldsmith, Stephen Booth, chris byrnes, Steve Morgan, Elliot Fooks

Bill Jones
Angler
Angler

SCSWFF Bass On Fly 2008

Post by Bill Jones » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:21 pm

Hi everyone
Would like to announce that the 2008 Bass on Fly Tournament is on once again at Lake Borumba this year.
The tournament will be held in November, at this stage on the 22th and 23rd.
This year there has been a few minor changes. Instead of being just one six hour session, we have decided to go for two six hour sessions over a two day period.
We will also be encouraging fish friendly handling techniques, such as barbless hooks and knotless nets this year. After all, it is a catch and release tournament and we want to see this beautiful fish stay healthy for other anglers to catch in the future.
When more details, such as entry forms, rules and any other relative information become available, I will post a link to the site where they can be downloaded from.
Hope to see you all there this year as last year proved to be a big success and those who attended will agree.
Bill

P.S. This year the location will stay at Lake Borumba, which has great accomodation facilities such as the beautiful Deer Farm, as well as camping grounds near the dam and motel in Imbil as well.
Last edited by Bill Jones on Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proudly sponsored by my own wallet lol

Bill Jones
Angler
Angler

Post by Bill Jones » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:59 am

Just an update to confirm the dates for the 2008 Bass On Fly Tournament. The dates are now the 22nd and 23rd of November. Sorry for the date change, but the Deer Farm was booked out for the previous weekend. At this stage there are plenty of caravan and cabins available and also camp sites as well. The presentation will be held at the Deer Farm on the Sunday as well as the briefing on Friday night.
When more details come to hand I will advise.
Cheers
Bill

Bill Jones
Angler
Angler

Post by Bill Jones » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:23 pm

Just rang the Deer Park at Borumba and it now confirmed that the tournament will be staged from the park. The breifing will be held at the under cover area near the kiosk on the friday night, as well as the presentation on sunday.
There are plenty of caravans and cabins available at this stage, but its advised to book early so those wishing to stay in these don't miss out. Also, there is ample camping available for those wishing to pitch a tent.
To book the accomodation, just give the Deer Park a ring on 07 54 845196. Just let them know that you will be with the Bass on Fly tournament.
Cheers
Bill

Bill Jones
Angler
Angler

Post by Bill Jones » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:29 pm

Well its not far away now. Coming up very quickly.
The finishing touches are being done as I type. Entry forms and rules will be up very shortly.
It looks like its going to be a cracker with the water temp rising fast and the bass are starting to come out of their winter hibination. And with the dam still at close to if not at 100%, there is plenty of water to explore.
Will post up link to rules and entry form as soon as they are up.
Remember, its a 2 day comp this year, and will be staged at the Borumba Deer Farm, so if you haven't booked your site, van or cabin, then you might want to do it soon.

Cheers

Bill

Bill Jones
Angler
Angler

Post by Bill Jones » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:39 pm

Hi all. Rules and entry forms will be up in a matter of days. Will start a new thread with a link to the rules and entry forms when they are complete.
The fishing should be firing as the weather warms up.

On another note, we are looking at approaching the Borumba fish stocking association to see if they want to put on a dinner on the saturday night. And also, we may approach the Deer Park to see if they would like to do a sausage sizzle on the friday night and sunday lunch time. This sort of catering has been done at other comps and is very good. No need to cook yourself. Just rock up with a few drinks and enjoy everyones company.
We will need numbers for this so if anyone is interested, can you let us know asap.
Cheers
Bill

Bill Jones
Angler
Angler

Post by Bill Jones » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:12 am

Hey all,
Here is the link to the clubs website that you can download the rules and entry forms. Looking at being a great comp this year.
http://www.saltwaterflyfishers.org/page ... on-fly.php
If anyone's got any question, then PM me and I will answer them as quickly as possible
Bill

Bill Jones
Angler
Angler

Post by Bill Jones » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:29 am

Well, the 2008 Bass on Fly Tournament is over for another year. With only 3 legal Bass caught all weekend, it was certainly tough. Especially with those galeforce winds yesterday.
The final results for the Tournament are as follows.
Saturday session. 2 bass caught
Chris Adams 0.448kg
Darren Bracks 0.446kg
(both fishing from Chris's boat)
One boat landed 5 Toga also.
Sunday session. 1 bass caught
Chris Adams 0.546kg
Chris taking the comp out with 2 fish and a total bag weight of 0.994kg
Big Bass goes to Chris as well with a weight of 0.546kg
Champion angler goes to Chris as well.

Must say thank you to all that turned up to the event on the weekend. Without you, the comp would not have been what it was. Great to see 3 female competitors there and 1 junior out of the 24 competitors.
Would also like to thank Stuart and Gavin and everyone else who was involved in organising this event. I can tell you there was a lot of hard work that went into it, with the regulation changes that we had to put up with.
And a special thanks to those competitors that travelled long distances to compete.
There was one from Melbourne, even one from Argentina, though he's here studying. Unfortunately, he wasn't able to get an Australian Bass to clock up his species list.
And also a thanks to the Gold Coast boys and the guys from Brisbane. Hopefully this will keep the inter club rivalry going for Jeremy's next comp.
Also, the Borumba Deer Park for allowing us to host the event there. And for putting on a sausage sizzle on the Saturday night and sunday at the Presentation.
But last but not least, Jeff from the Gold Coast club, for doing the role of official photograher. Thanks again Jeff.
Thanks to all again. Hopefully next year will be even bigger and better, as long as the fish and the weather gods cooperate.
Bill