Huge thanks to Michael Stewart for his help

Tournaments and Tactics for bream, bass and barra anglers

Moderators: Big_unit, Simon Goldsmith, Stephen Booth, chris byrnes, Steve Morgan, Elliot Fooks

Warwick Cregan
Angler
Angler

Huge thanks to Michael Stewart for his help

Post by Warwick Cregan » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:15 pm

I would like to say a huge thanks to Michael Stewart for his help on the weekend at the Lake Glenbawn Tournament.

Without even thinking twice, Micheal sacrificed his own comfort and plunged into the freezing waters up to his waist on the weekend to help save my new pride and joy (brand new Skeeter) as its prop and hull struck a large rock in front of the tag board on the weekend.
The strong winds buffetted the shore and made it extremly difficult to move the boat off the rock and away from the shore as boats were trying to come in and hand their tags in.

Michael went well beyong the call and I thank him immensely. Without his help I would not have managed and the damage would have been far worse.

I only wish I could have put Mike onto some fish. He is the epitome of a top bloke, great non boater and every one deserves to know what he did.

I hope I can return the favour some day mate.

Waz

Bruce Anderson
Angler
Angler

Post by Bruce Anderson » Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:53 pm

Good onya Mike,

The conditions were very rough at the conclusion of the last session and the water temp very cold. Thats one for the non boaters . That rock was there all weekend :? . Would have been good to have had the key board moved over a little bit, maybe. Went up on it myself.
Anyway Mike well done some quick thinking there.

moggy
Angler
Angler

Post by moggy » Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:00 pm

I was the first in on sat morning and told them about the rock and it should be removed but nothing was done. I also got swamped then laughed at by the same gentleman at the tag board, but i had to get out in the water myself non boater didnt want to get wet. Wish i had micheal that arvo.

techno phil
Beginner
Beginner

Post by techno phil » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:17 pm

Well done Mike.

Moggy, I hope you're not referring to you're saturday n/b.
Phil.

DaveW
Keen Angler
Keen Angler

Post by DaveW » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:45 pm

My prop and skeg are missing some bark too - great to come in and be told to move as there is a rock in the way, back out into a foot of chop, swamp the rear end, come back in 4 foot over and get told you're now on top of it and it's too late :evil:

Thankfully my NB was quick witted enough to get the shoes off fast and jump out so I could move off.

Choice of tagboard placement should be thought out just a little better in my humble opinion, I got off fairly lightly compared to some :shock:

A big thanks to ALL the people who helped get boats straight at the weigh in, and the helpers at the ramp. Unfortunately when the rollers come down the dam like that there's not much you can do.
DaveW

30m rule be damned - a lure in the head wins everytime..........

Simon Goldsmith
B&B Admin
B&B Admin

Post by Simon Goldsmith » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:06 am

My appologies for the positioning of the tag board near the rocks.

The staffer that i had doing the tag board failed to mention that he'd put it near the rocks until after the Sunday weigh-in. If i had know it would have been moved.

<comment edited>

Simon.

Dodgyback
Serious Angler
Serious Angler

Post by Dodgyback » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:29 am

How could we ever do without our Non Boaters in helping out like this.

Good work guys :D

tonypenny
Angler
Angler

Post by tonypenny » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:56 pm

I will put my hand up, i was the tag board attendant and i continually warned all boats to please move to the left all weekend so that no one hit the rock, you ALL would have noticed that i was directing every boat away from the rock at least 10 metres , and as far as the comment about me thinking that running your boat on to the rock was funny and that i actually would have laughed is a joke.
I believe i gave every boater good enough warning during every session so that they didnt damage their boat and if you check with most of your other competitors i dont believe many of you even had to get your feet wet over the entire weekend during the testing windy conditions .
As far as the tag board position goes it was put in the area which provided the deepest access to the bank for boaters.
Just remember i cannot control the weather which caused both of you boats to drift onto the rock , after all with the wind blowing about 70 Km an hour plus and the boats being blown all over the place it was obviously my fault, and i sure wasnt going to swim out to move the rock out of the water.
I would have helped the boaters that washed ashore but my duty was to look after the tag board and ensure that all boaters placed their tags on the board correctly and on time.
If this is the way i am going to be treated , then this is the last time i will ever offer my services again and ABT can find someone else.
And if any one has a problem they can call me on 0401 211014.

Tony Priestley

Justin Scott
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Justin Scott » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:57 pm

Firstly well done Mike you are now Non Boater Royalty.

I think the majority of competitors have seen these conditions appear at Glenbawn more than once during an ABT tournament. Should the tag & weigh station be moved around into the more sheltered bay toward the new boat ramp. I for one would like this trialed (maybe the megabucks).
If it was positioned just into the 8 Knot Zone this would decrease boat wash & allow a more controlled start to each session. It has a slightly steeper bank to hopefully elieviate boat & prop damage. I have heard that thousands of dollars damage was done to a number of boats.

I personally felt for Warwick with his new boat, I was at the tag board at the same time & had to move quickly just not to get blown into his boat.

With my fishing ability on Sunday morning I found I didn't need to contend with the waves at the weigh tent.

Overall a great weekend thanks to ABT.

Justin Scott

moggy
Angler
Angler

Post by moggy » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:31 pm

Phil you actually gave me sore ribs from laughing so much had a ball and would be a tremendous pleasure to take you again.
Cheers Moggy

mr bass
Angler
Angler

Post by mr bass » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:02 pm

Simon Goldsmith wrote:My appologies for the positioning of the tag board near the rocks.

The staffer that i had doing the tag board failed to mention that he'd put it near the rocks until after the Sunday weigh-in. If i had know it would have been moved.

It can be hard to get good help.

Simon.
Simon,TRUE good help is hard to find and thats why you should appreciate any that you get or you might end up with none.thanks to the helpers because without them there would be no events.why im at it,thanks also for your help when i had a fish declined in the first session as being under size which i had measured on an offical ABT ruler just prior to wiegh in(303mm).the judge measured the fish in the wiegh bag and declined it as being under size.when my non boater returned with the fish and told me i was shocked,put it back onto the ruler and once again measured 303mm.you asked what was the problem and upon showing you the fish on the ruler measuring over legal length you shrugged your shoulders and said the judges decision is final.i know and respect that the judges decicion is final but you were the most senior offical there last weekend and if you cant double check a fish you saw with your own eyes go legal length then what does this say?was it because i am not one of the more well known anglers i dont know but i am paying just as much as the next guy to fish these tournaments and expect just as much repect.you may be thinking im crying over spilt milk and just stiring up trouble but i just think it may be concidered as a rule that an angler can request a remeasure if he or she thinks there has been a mistake.not just shrugged off.
Gregg.

BillD
Beginner
Beginner

Post by BillD » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:19 pm

Simon Goldsmith wrote:My appologies for the positioning of the tag board near the rocks.

It can be hard to get good help.

Simon.
How about creating a new system to ensure this doesn’t happen again rather than blaming one of your helpers. To me the statement “It can be hard to get good help” is very unprofessional and if I blamed one of my co workers directly to my client every time a mistake was made by someone in my business my clients would soon lose faith in the service we provide.

Rather than holding the arms of one of your employees while everyone has a punch, try to make sure it doesn’t happen again. To me a new system is simple, throw a pair of waders to whoever is setting up the tag board so they can check the surroundings for rocks !!!

Bill Delaney

Simon Goldsmith
B&B Admin
B&B Admin

Post by Simon Goldsmith » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:36 am

I've opened a can of worms haven't I?

Tony I've emailed you regarding my comment, to everyone else the comment was made in jest.

In no way was it meant to be an attack on one of ABT's staff, I'll back and stand up for all my staff. My goal is always to empower my staff to make judgements, whether it be with regard to the location of putting the tag board, or the measuring of the a fish.

Guys if you ever have issues with what occurs at event call me or send me an email, airing greviances in a public forum is un-professional for all parties, and often doesn't deliver the desired outcome.

Cheers

Simon.

Steve Morgan
B&B Admin
B&B Admin

Post by Steve Morgan » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:38 am

Guys,

Settle down please!

Simon's quite ill ATM and I'm sure posted that comment while sleep-deprived - we've been working the guys pretty hard with Glenbawn on the weekend, AFC Celebrity filming Monday Tuesday and then straight into the AFTA trade show now.

So, Tony, I'll apologise on Simon's behalf. We train our tag board attendees to offer advice but not assistance, so you did the right thing. And no-one can control that Glebnbawn weather.

Frankly, we haven't had this problem in hundreds of previous events. But we have had situations where the tag board was moved from session to session and anglers complained about it not being where the expected it to be - so you're damned either way.

We appreciate that the pay for helping is minimal and we (and the anglers) appreciate your assistance.

Greg, I'd suggest that to avoid your situation in the future, you should personally bring up your fish to the weigh-tent rather than sending them with your non-boater. All undersized fish on the weekend that were rejected were shown to the angler presenting the fish while on the ruler - that's the process we always use. It has nothing to do with who you are - the second ranked bream angler in the country also had one that fell short.

I'll edit Simons post, so let's please move forward from what I hear was an excellent weekend - I mean it's been a while sine we had a bass tournament where some anglers load up on fish!

Cheers,

Steve Morgan
ABT
ph:(07) 3387 0888
fax: (07) 3887 0889

Warwick Cregan
Angler
Angler

Post by Warwick Cregan » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:59 pm

Guys,

I was extremley unhappy about damaging my boat at the end after having a great time. Very costly weekend also for me in the end Approx $1000.00 if I include the costs for insurance excess and entry fees etc.

I know that these things do happen from time to time and I do accept that, But what made the the most unhappy was after talking to many anglers was they had also hit the same rock the day before and that no one was told about it or did any thing about it. I actually came in slowly to the tag board, plenty of time for someone to tell me not to come in on that side, yet no warning came? Even when looking straight at people. I actually had to ask after hitting it. " Hey mate is there a rock here?"

I really don't want to harp on it and that will be the end of it from me now.
Also want to acknowledge all the good work many people at ABT do to make the weekends very enjoyable.
Just hope things change for the future. Last thing I want to be labelled with is a trouble maker, but also dont want to repeat the situation again also.

tonypenny
Angler
Angler

Post by tonypenny » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:02 pm

Guys , this thing obviously got way out of hand , Simon i can appreciate the fact you may have had sleep deprivation with the large workload ,but put yourselves in my position , i had the bone directly pointed in my direction and the first thing anyone does is becomes extremely dissapointed with some peoples comments.
Anyone who knows me would understand that i would usually help anyone out in the given situation , i definately would never laugh or smerk at anyone who was in a situation where there selves or their property was in danger of being damaged.
If i had of placed the tag board any further to the left or right ,none of the boaters would have been able to get close enough to the bank without getting really wet ,for the ground in either direction was very shallow and had even more rocks.
I would like to appologise to Bruce Anderson who i would usually class as a mate , this morning i called Bruce and give him a bit of a mouth full over this incident , i accused him of throwing fuel on the fire and a few other things , Bruce as you would understand put in my position , i was extremely hurt and angry by some of the comments and the last thing i would want to do is offend you, even though i obviously did. Bruce if you honestly believe that im a @#$#@%% @##$%$^# than so be it.
Like i stated in my earlier post , i believe i tried my best to warn all the boaters of the where abouts of the rock and cannot help that your boats ended up in that position, i did not even know that the rock was there until some one hit it during the rush in the first session, but after the first boat did , i then did my very best to let everyone know about it.
Also what a lot of people need to remember without the help of people like myself and Robbo , who have donated our time so that you guys can at least get out and fish and enjoy and we sure dont need to be told that we are assholes because things dont always go the right way.

Tony Priestley

Steve Morgan
B&B Admin
B&B Admin

Post by Steve Morgan » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:57 pm

Thanks Tony.

Discussion over.

SM
ABT
ph:(07) 3387 0888
fax: (07) 3887 0889