08/09 Gamakatsu Team Series Venue Options

Tournaments and Tactics for bream, bass and barra anglers

Moderators: Big_unit, Simon Goldsmith, Stephen Booth, chris byrnes, Steve Morgan, Elliot Fooks

Where would you like the Feb 22nd Round to be held?

Tweed River, Tweed Heads NSW
25%
Clarence River, Iluka NSW
33%
Redcliffe, Moreton Bay QLD
33%
Other
8%

Total votes: 48

vinnie
Keen Angler
Keen Angler

08/09 Gamakatsu Team Series Venue Options

Post by vinnie » Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:29 pm

The option of changing the Tweed Round scheduled for Feb 22nd, has come to light. February is not considered the best time of year for Tweed, and being it was our smallest event last year we are looking at changing the venue.

Cheers
Vinnie Bleakley
GTS Tournament Director
Last edited by vinnie on Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

vinnie
Keen Angler
Keen Angler

Post by vinnie » Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:30 pm

Post Replies In This Forum

Dodgyback
Serious Angler
Serious Angler

Post by Dodgyback » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:38 pm

Best time of year or not ,i feel it should still be at the Tweed.
I don't think comparing last years event to the coming event is a good idea.
Last year it was early December not late Feb and last year it was 1 week away from one of the Goldy summer events. That would most likely be the reason the numbers where down not the case that it was in the summer time.

Don't get scared off because it might be tough fishing

Mick

Red Rocket
Angler
Angler

Post by Red Rocket » Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:28 pm

I haved lived on the Tweed for the last 10 years ( only another 35 and I will be considered a local) and well its pretty tough most of the time, but I would say February is one of the better months. You still get topwater action and there is less holiday traffic.
Last edited by Red Rocket on Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

fishconnect
Keen Angler
Keen Angler

Post by fishconnect » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:52 pm

Fishing the Redcliffe area during February has one major problem, the water turns to a very thick poo brown and makes for hard fishing.
This place is best fished during the cooler months when there is less tidal flow. When the water is clear during the winter there is no doubt it is a top spot but summer is pair-shaped. The clarity can sometimes hang around until late November early December at the most.

Jay.

PS: I do the report in QFM for this area and have a good idea how it works. But it's my theory and I will fish wherever the comp is held.

vinnie
Keen Angler
Keen Angler

Post by vinnie » Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:52 am

The Qld Summer Series is running a round once again a week before our round and are just putting feelers out for some new arenas. As organizers we are prepared to hold the event in a puddle, if the anglers come but after numerous comments an suggestions to get away from the Tweed, we are taking some affirmative action. For us Tweed is a painless event to organize, but happy anglers is what we are looking for, and unfortunately they are starting to find the Tweed uninspiring to fish any time of the year.

Thanks for the info about Redcliffe, too Jay. That fact was unknown to us and we appreciate the heads up.

Keep the suggestions for new arenas coming, the notes about why it should be at tweed are noted, but unnecessary at this time. We are looking for alternative options.

Thanks
Vinnie
GTS Tournament Director

fishconnect
Keen Angler
Keen Angler

Post by fishconnect » Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:04 pm

I know it's been said a million times before but what about the Pummicestone Passage?

Lots of ramps, good sheltered waters, limited pressure and so many different fishing options-deep, pylons, flats, pontoons, canals bla bla.

It may have been diluted by the Redcliffe bonanza but a few guys made the run up to Bribie for the Boat Show Comp and produced bags over 3kg,
Can't shake a stick at those numbers!

Jay

vinnie
Keen Angler
Keen Angler

Post by vinnie » Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:16 pm

Thanks for the tip Jay, We might go for a drive and check it out.

lastcast
Keen Angler
Keen Angler

Post by lastcast » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:48 pm

Leave it at the tweed. Every year is different, could work out ok

scott19
Angler
Angler

Post by scott19 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:14 pm

I am with lastcast keep it at the Tweed, That time of year the Tweed offers you alote of areas to fish. If you move it further up north you would lose alote of southern anglers as well.

grego
Angler
Angler

Post by grego » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:44 pm

I totally agree with JAY.

i have fished Bribie before and just quietly ide be jumping around the room if it was held there. The fish dont get hammered as much as Tweed, there good size fish, the area is sheltered and has abundence of launching facilties, not only good ones but very safe ones.

The passage offers alot of options as above mentioned,
flats, pylons, canals, deep reefs, etc etc the lost go on and on.

Wherever is decided i will be happy, but would really like ABT/Summer Series organisers to take a punt and see what happens with holding it further north, never know, there were alot of local guys fishing when i was up there at christmas, could end up with a 60 boat strong field.

Good luck with what you guys decide.

Cheers Grego

PS. Must remember with Redcliffe option that if it blows up there isnt alot of shelter for small boats which could see numbers drop if weather looks bad ( which we all know happens on comp day)
Dedication is planning a fishing trip two weeks in advance...

flat91
Angler
Angler

Post by flat91 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:14 pm

what about the clarence..
always lots of fish caught and had alot of boats the last 2 gamakatsu events here.

splashy

Post by splashy » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:39 am

Why not go further north to Mooloolah River? A few good, safe ramps, marina, canals, rockwalls, flats, bottom structure and as well as the opp to head out if the weather is good.

Warwick Cregan
Angler
Angler

Post by Warwick Cregan » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:16 am

What about coming a bit further south to Port Macquarie? Great system and plent of facilities. Great arena on town green for a stage with lots of by passing peolpe traffic for weigh in crowds.
Could even have a drive through weigh in even or drive through on water weigh in if weather was good?

Just food for thought.

Waz

flat91
Angler
Angler

Post by flat91 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:39 pm

yeah something different like port macquarie wouldnt be a bad idea..
ive never fished the place but keen to fish it.. clarence is home river n i love it but there was one already on here..
either way im happy..
but personally id prefer the clarence but end of the day it isnt up to me.

Bill Jones
Angler
Angler

Post by Bill Jones » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:02 pm

The Mooloola River would be good, however the downside is the canal system is relatively small and would shut down very quickly and the 6 knots speed limit in the lower reaches.
Pummistone passage, that would be good. Only thing is its getting very shallow from the skids to Lime pocket. Otherwise its got some great potential. We usually run from Caloundra down to the Bribie canals and the deeper water in the southern end.
Bill
Proudly sponsored by my own wallet lol

frogoff
Angler
Angler

Post by frogoff » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:22 am

Hi Guys,

We will probably be doing a event in Port Mac in the next season, we have decided for the moment to stick with Tweed as ABT are holding one up at Caloundra and it is easy for us to find out how they run one up there first. Port Mac is on the cards for next season, the GTS will keep getting bigger and bigger and if people keep supporting it we will keep going further south and also if people are keen for the GTS Grand Final we will try and make bigger and bigger. I would love to see our event with a Skeeter Boat or something as a Grand Final prize. It is possible!!!

Mick

Warwick Cregan
Angler
Angler

Post by Warwick Cregan » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:07 pm

Mick,

Thats awsome mate!
Look forward to the Port macq event if it happens.
You guys run great events.
Thanks to you and your team for supporting the industry and putting these events on for us to fish them.

Cheers,

Waz