HUTCHWILCO INFLATABLE LIFEJACKETS

Tournaments and Tactics for bream, bass and barra anglers

Moderators: Big_unit, Simon Goldsmith, Stephen Booth, chris byrnes, Steve Morgan, Elliot Fooks

karen
Angler
Angler

HUTCHWILCO INFLATABLE LIFEJACKETS

Post by karen » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:06 am

Can anyone help with information on where abouts these jackets can be serviced & stamped in NSW or can we service them ourselves

lastcast
Keen Angler
Keen Angler

Re: HUTCHWILCO INFLATABLE LIFEJACKETS

Post by lastcast » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:30 pm

Hi Karen this is a good question as there are a lot of these PFD's that are out of date .
They are now out of date after a year .
the question is who can sevice them and restamp ??
The Regulations say a competent person ....Who is competent????
I think we need to go back to the suppliers and ask who they have that can do this.
I personally dont class myself as a competent person to service and stamp them
Try this link https://www.stormyaustralia.com/news.php
copy and paste
hope this helps

lastcast
Keen Angler
Keen Angler

Post by lastcast » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:45 pm

Just got off the Phone with Glen Porter most of you guys would remember Glen from the BP in Yamba he is now authorised to service Inflatable PFD's he is Based in Yatala in QLD if you need yours seviced give him a call on 0 417958816 :lol:

Dodgyback
Serious Angler
Serious Angler

Post by Dodgyback » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:10 pm

Is Glen that big bloke in the servo ?
I still hate Flathead

stuartb
Angler
Angler

Post by stuartb » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:17 pm

G'Day Karen,

I dont know about that brand in particular but I test and tag my own 'Marlin' brand inflatable jacket. I simply wear it and pull the cord (then after everyone has stopped laughing at me) I check for leaks and any signs of wear or tear, I then deflate it and reinflate it with the mouthpiece to check that works Ok, also check the whistle works. I then buy a new air canister from Whitworths Marine Parts (Bias Boating would probably have them as well) they come with a new tigger pin & instructions on how to re-arm ( seriously simple ). Then with a marking pen I mark the date on the inside of the collar. I have actually tested mine several times in the last year or so, you see the pull cord is located where my belt buckle is and yep.. one minute I'm happily fishing and then I just go to tighten my pants and poof, shh shh shh shh shh ....I tell ya, lucky it isn't helium gas or I would of floated off many a times. So whilst I am not that competent in using them I feel pretty competent in checking and 'testing' . :lol: :lol: :oops: :lol: :lol:

Hope the info helps. I cant see why it cant be done yourself, if you are not sure, do it again and then test it.. until you do feel competent in it. It also teaches you how to use the mouthpiece and manual inflate \ deflate and whistle features ....which ...in an emergency could really save your bacon. :!:

I reckon it pays to get familiar with all your safety gear.

Kind Regards

Stuart BIble.

jamiej
Beginner
Beginner

Post by jamiej » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:27 pm

Read some more on this topic on another site.
It says what Stuart said.
Basically they said they had been in contact with maritime. Who said they must be serviced as per the manufactures instructions.
If it says must be returned to the maufacturer for servicing then you have no choice. But if it does'nt say who must service it then You can service it yourself but it must be marked accordingly.
If you take it to someone like Bulbecks they will inflate the jacket with compressed air and test for leaks over a 24hr period. Check the seams of the jacket for wear and tear, Inspect the canister for signs of corrosion and replace the caniter if nessary, tag it and repack it.
Really not hard to do yourself and as stuart said you become familiar with your safey gear before you really need to.

Bill Jones
Angler
Angler

Post by Bill Jones » Fri May 01, 2009 4:39 pm

I get mine tested at Dolphin Marine on the Sunshine Coast. Only costs $33 and is also issued with a certificate.
Have been told that you can self test, however was warned that it may not stand up in court if the relative authorities may think they have not been tested correctly.
Apparently, this is what I have been told, is that the PFD must be inflated to a specific pressure and held at that pressure for a certain period of time. Now to have this test done correctly, there is special tools involved which the average joe blow doesn't have access too.
I for one am willing to pay someone to do it for me. Piece of mind for me.
Also on another note, I received a letter from Maritine Safety Australia and it looks as though there will be changes to life jacket standards again very soon. New AS####'s so looks like most current PFD's, standard and inflatable will be obsolete soon. Just what we need, to spend more money on gear we hopefully never have to use.
Cheers
Bill
Proudly sponsored by my own wallet lol

stuartb
Angler
Angler

Post by stuartb » Sun May 03, 2009 4:56 pm

G'Day,

I guess it comes down to testing guidelines and to my knowledge there aren't any yet.

'Standands Australia' is the peak body responsible for the introduction of testing guidelines and standards for most products \ services in Australia & New Zealand and to my knowledge they dont have a standard or guideline for the ongoing testing & tagging of inflatable life jackets yet. http://www.standards.org.au/default.asp

I did however find this Standard - 'AS 4758.3 2008 Personal Flotation Devices - Testing Methods' - http://www.saiglobal.com/PDFTemp/Previe ... 3-2008.pdf - although I think it only relates to the design & testing of the devices by the manufacturer prior to sale and not the ongoing testing & tagging methods.

Marine Safety Queensland requires - http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/resources/fil ... d_faqs.pdf -- See page 7 for inflatable PFD's and servicing. This is a great link as it fully explains what MSQ require in terms of all Life Jackets on board ie PDF 1 etc, relevant standards and testing.

But to inflate a life jacket to a certain pressure and then leave it for 24 hours to see if it leaks ( ie decrease in pressure ), sounds like a good idea and could be simply done with a push bike ( air mattress \ party ballon \ ) pump :mrgreen: which will inflate the life jacket and will give a corresponding pressure reading which can then be checked again the next day. A better and simpler way of testing for small air leaks is to inflate the jacket by mouth using the mouth piece (or using the air canister or bike pump etc over the mouth piece ) and then hold it underwater in clean fresh bathwater and watch for any small bubbles escaping from inside the jacket. This is also a good time to wash the jacket out in fresh water, including washing the air canister, mouth piece etc and checking for corrosion.

For example, I use to have 'peace of mind' in my mechanic until he forgot to put oil back in the engine after the service and believe me, I gave him a 'piece of my mind' after that.

Still, if I didn't feel confident or was incompetent and was to get someone else to test my life jacket then I would double check they remembered to put an air canister back in again. Just like parachuters who pack their own parachute.... I dont try to trust anyone else with my life.

Cheers

Stuart Bible.