Tournament boats and yaks

Tournaments and Tactics for bream, bass and barra anglers

Moderators: Big_unit, Simon Goldsmith, Stephen Booth, chris byrnes, Steve Morgan, Elliot Fooks

wizard
Angler
Angler

Tournament boats and yaks

Post by wizard » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:03 pm

Heh Steve, Just wondering how the hobie event and the abt qualifier at Glenelg river on the same weekend will work ? How many yaks will turn up do you think ? Cam.
Last edited by wizard on Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marcel_krieger
Keen Angler
Keen Angler

Re: glenelg sep 19 and 20

Post by marcel_krieger » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:09 am

Expecting hopefully 30 Kayakers.

As per usual bream boats checked out between 6-7am and start at 7am. Meanwhile Kayak tournament signup outside the pub. Kayaks start shortly after 7am briefing.

Most Kayaks will fish around the front and will be similar to fishing a 60 boat field with the usual 30m etiquette rule in place.

Kayaks finish at 1pm with weigh in at the pub, breamers finish at 2pm and continue to pub for drive thru weigh in. No early finishers.
Cheers,

Marcel Krieger

ABT 07 3387 0888

wizard
Angler
Angler

Re: Tournament boats and yaks

Post by wizard » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:57 pm

so out of interest, which other qualifiers will "feature" two events on the same weekend ? My gut feeling is that most boat operators won't be all that enamored with dodging yaks, especially if the said waterway has unrestricted speed limits. Glenelg is the color of a bad toilet visit at the moment which could possibly mean 50 plus vessels between simsons landing and the mouth if the fish have been pushed down. Sounds like a veritable barrel of laughs to me.

Steve Morgan
B&B Admin
B&B Admin

Post by Steve Morgan » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:37 pm

Cam,

Only a select few venues throughout the season - maybe two from memory?

Let's try it before we make any judgements.

Cheers,

SM
ABT
ph:(07) 3387 0888
fax: (07) 3887 0889

wizard
Angler
Angler

Post by wizard » Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:43 am

my feeling is that both venues will be Victorian ?

Nick G
Angler
Angler

Post by Nick G » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:59 am

Steve,

Just a thought, what about setting the Yaks off from Pritchard’s. Run a separate comp up high with the weigh in still at the pub. You will have the staff available to do this and then the two comps will not get in each others way!

I for one only heard that this was happening yesterday and was not impressed when first told. The Glenelg fishes very hard this time of the year and this will only just make it harder!

Nick

markg
Beginner
Beginner

Post by markg » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:18 am

Lets start with the positive side. This has the potential to work if, as Nick said the yaks launch at Pritchards or sapling creek. There would be plenty of room for everyone and the environment would suit yak fishing getting in tight amongst all the big snags up there.
Reality though looks like it will be a different matter, as Cam aluded to the river at the moment is in heavy flood. The normal comp is going to be tough enough as it is without puting 30 extra yaks. It could very easily be 30 yaks 40 boats all in a 2km stretch...mmm fun. I know were fishing 2 seperate comps but in reality we're fishing the same water/same fish. Id be impressed if i pulled some fish day 1, left it for day 2 and saw a yak go in and smack a few more.
I can see many bream anglers who have spent big money on boats,travelling and prefishing get pretty anoyed when they get surrounded by a floatilla of yaks during a tournament.
Looking at the scedule it loos like Vic events will be the only ones where the power boats share the weekend with the yaks. i can see numbers drop in the comps if this is going to be a regular occurence. ( what if Vic anglers want to fish both boat and yak ?) Vic lost its super series and one sth east aust comp this year beacuse of he "dissapointing" numbers when the event was held on a "pea soup green" gippy in 07. Lets home Vic anglers dont get shafted again if this tuns into a PR disaster as it could very well do.

mark g

Steve Morgan
B&B Admin
B&B Admin

Post by Steve Morgan » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:23 am

Guys,

So how is 40 ABT/30 kayak field any different from a 70-ish boat Vic Bream classic?

I understand that the river is high ATM, but ABT doesn't control the weather....

Please, let's try it. If it works, excellent, and if there's too much friction, we'll modify the logistics in the following year/events.

We did toy with the Pritchard's Landing idea, but were unsure if the fish-transportation issues may be too difficult.

Boaters, it may be worth looking at the broader picture - Glenelg is an arena where we have trouble getting non-boaters for some reason - maybe it's the style of fishing. Exposing kayakers to the ABT events is a good way to maybe help numbers on people coming into the sport in the future.

When the kayak events are big enough, we can definitely run them separately, but at the moment, think of it as Big Brother helping Little Brother to grow.

I'm available to talk to about this on ABT's number (07) 3387 0888.

Cheers,

SM
ABT
ph:(07) 3387 0888
fax: (07) 3887 0889

marcel_krieger
Keen Angler
Keen Angler

Post by marcel_krieger » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:38 am

And as a positive spin it gets more people into the town and promotes bream fishing in the Glenelg. ABT, Hobie and the Nelson Hotel have promoted the weekend's festivities to get plenty of spectators down to the weigh in.

Let's concentrate on having a good time, catching some fish and setting an example.

PS. No fights this year, I've had to exchange my backup from Big Phil to Simon.

Catch you down there. PS. Go Cats.
Cheers,

Marcel Krieger

ABT 07 3387 0888

markg
Beginner
Beginner

Post by markg » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:24 am

Steve,
a 70 boat field is a more mobile field that 40 boats 30 yaks. If we all leave from down the bottom its going to be pretty crowded down there.That will be the issue particularly given the state of the river which i know is bad luck, but often highly likely at this time of year.
...would love to see a 50-60 boat abt field, it should be possible if we can get 70 to a vicbream, and should be encouraged...just hoping it won't put more non boaters/boaters off in the future.

cheers Markg

dyno355
Beginner
Beginner

Post by dyno355 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:55 pm

I too was a bit unimpressed when I heard about the hobie tournament being on the same weekend. There will be a long peddle/paddle if all 30+ tournament boats are fishing the lower reaches! If anything these yak tournaments are pulling NB's away from ABT's as shown by all the dropouts in the entry list. I can only see a sour outcome from this and i'm a glass half full guy.

wizard
Angler
Angler

Post by wizard » Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:33 pm

[quote="Steve Morgan"]
"So how is 40 ABT/30 kayak field any different from a 70-ish boat Vic Bream classic?"

Steve, the difference is that the Vicbream field are all fishing against each other in a single tournament, not fishing one of two tournaments run by the same governing body on the same water on the same weekend. After talking to a few guys on the phone today regarding this weekend I can assure you that all were none to happy with the new arrangements. With all due respect Marcel, I would think the anglers in bream boats only care about their tournament result and not economical spin offs to other parties.

shauno
Angler
Angler

Post by shauno » Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:53 pm

Steve look at the simple maths

Classic situation
70 classic teams= two anglers fishing for 5 fish each day = 350 Bream would see most teams do well

lets look at the ABT qualifier maths

40 boaters 40 NB both looking for 5 Bream each day = 400 Bream- already more without the kayakers being on the water....

now lets add the kayakers

30 anglers looking for 2 fish each day (potentially releasing Bream more often looking for a bigger bag)

thats another 120 Bream for a total weekend or 520 bream between all anglers

Now this might be a perfect world, but I know what it does mean, less opportunity for me, who is travelling a decent way to fish my only comp venue for the next two years (not by my choice I might add)

I think I'll roll my entry over to the next time adelaide gets a comp..

speak to you on the dog and bone tomorrow....

dyno355
Beginner
Beginner

Post by dyno355 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:04 pm

Actually Shauno, the kayak limit is now 3 fish, now with my limited math skills that equals another 180 bream.

Dodgyback
Serious Angler
Serious Angler

Post by Dodgyback » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:24 pm

Only two anglers got thier full bag last year at Glenelg, So I would hazard a guess that very few get their bag this year aswell. That would go for the yak fisho's aswell.
Your competing against those in boats not those in the Yaks.
Why don't you just give it a go this year and see how it goes.
You might find that if there is so much more pressure you may not need your full bag to be in the prizes.
I still hate Flathead

wizard
Angler
Angler

Post by wizard » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:51 pm

heh dodgy, this is one of two vic qualifiers for the year. The Glenelg is approximately 400k's sw of Melb. Our other qualifier is at Mallacoota, some 550- 600 k's from Melb. I would think most anglers would like to have as much chance as possible of catching a couple of fish for the weekend after travelling this far and not have their chances diluted by a second tournament on the same water. We ARE competing against the yaks for the same fish even though we will have a different results board. Gotta feel for Shauno, his next closest qualifier is Mallacoota, at a rough guess about a 13 hr haul, a bloody long way from Adelaide !

UdlMan
Angler
Angler

Post by UdlMan » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:32 pm

Just consider it as 30 yaks social fishing, There's nothing you can do about it. Learn to live with it and go and find some new places to fish. I have fished many a comp and have had social guys fishing my honeyhole, catching fish after fish, I just had to go and find another spot.
Proud to be assocated with EcoGear. The benchmark for all soft plastics. ~<><

shauno
Angler
Angler

Post by shauno » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:11 pm

It still doesn't change the fact that I paid to enter a an ABT tournament, not knowing that the Kayak event was to be held in conjunction. Announcing it three weeks out is not fair on us that paid back in january.

dyno355
Beginner
Beginner

Post by dyno355 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:16 am

shauno wrote:It still doesn't change the fact that I paid to enter a an ABT tournament, not knowing that the Kayak event was to be held in conjunction. Announcing it three weeks out is not fair on us that paid back in january.
Second that....

vinnie
Keen Angler
Keen Angler

Post by vinnie » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:41 am

This thread is unbelievable, :?: 10,30,50,100 boats/kayaks, who cares. It makes the fishing challenging, as for when rivers flood all the fish don't shut there mouths and head for the entrance. We held a 45 boat, 3 day event on a system that had 2 fish kills ealier that year and was currenlty in a flood, that resembled chocolate milk and 100's of floating trees (you could have easily mistaken these for kayakers) and it produced the biggest bags seen in years, fish were scattered upto 10 km's from the mouth. First place fished the bottom end, second fished the very top.

Just fish the event and have a good time

Natho

Post by Natho » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:03 am

I'm beginning to feel our ABT Glennelg comp is the guinea pig here. We had our dates swapped from February to September in the hope it would draw more boaters to the SA Port river round............didn't work, fair enough, tried it.
Now three weeks, out after waiting 19 months for the ABT to return to the Glennelg river, we are informed that two different comps are going to run on the same day and we are told to "lets just try it first".
Maybe this situation firstly could have been put in the " next year ideas " suggestion box for everyone to put forward on how two comps could run on the same weekend. For example I would think it could work very well for our sport if it was ran in say February ( when we used to have the Glennelg ABT), when the fish are spread right through the whole system.
Another point is what about the guys who own both tournament boats and yaks. I'm sure some of them would love to compete in both series, but are force to choose one over the other, you would think if the two were to be ran on different dates it would maximize your entries.
The way I see it at the moment running the two different comps from the same starting point, is going to be like playing two games of footy on the same ground at the same time with one football.............its just my two cents cheers Nathan.

miked
Angler
Angler

Post by miked » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:15 am

I can't quite understand some of these issues, unless I'm missing something.
You compete and test yourself against other anglers in a comp, not the bream.
A winning bag is a winning bag whether it's 5/10 or 10/10 and it proves who was the best angler on the weekend.
If I came 6th with 4/10 I'd be happier with my plan and the way I fished than if I came 33rd with 10/10 including many upgrades.
Everyones in the same boat (LOL) and the tougher the bite the more skill that's needed to win and that's what tournament fishing is all about. If catching a lot of bream and having YOUR pick of spots were a priority then you would never enter a tourny in the first place, or even fish on a weekend for that matter.
Cheers

Mick
Angler
Angler

Post by Mick » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:28 am

I think it is a great idea combining some of the boat/yak comps. Logisticly, it is a lot easier for ABT which makes the execution of both tournaments a lot more user friendly on both competitors and organisers, but more importantly it will increase the interest from both sponsors and spectators alike.

If the fishing is harder then so be it, really what is the difference between winning a competition with a 2 day 10 limit or a 2 day 1/10 limit. If the fishing is harder then use your skill to level the playing field, dont get all precious over spots you have been fishing for 20 years, as trust me some one else has been fishing them as well. In the end the decision is with the competitor, if you dont agree with any aspect of a tournament or it doesnt suit you then dont fish it, very simple stuff.

The only problem I see is choosing between the boat or yak.

Lance_Trophy
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Lance_Trophy » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:12 pm

Sucks to be you guys, given 3 weeks notice that you have to share the comp with some kayakers.
I dont mind the idea of running both competitions together, but not so sudden like this. This is something that should be mentioned at the start of the season. But im guessing because Hobie is a sponsor that ABT dont really give a crap what you guys think as long as the money is rolling in.

Maybe they can run a kayak comp at the same venues as AFC at the same times, that way we wont have any kayakers fishing in the AFC out of boats that they dont deserve to fish out of.

wizard
Angler
Angler

Post by wizard » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:46 pm

I think most anglers, myself included, would consider it to be a great idea to combine tournaments given logistics problems and the extra appeal for spectators. Imo the only bad idea is having both tournaments start at the same point. Pritchards or Sapling creek are only 15 mins away and with 12or 13 degree water I would have thought transportation was a non issue. Perhaps the more pressing issue is the lack of visibilty on the water of sponsors products in or near the town ? I will be there and plan to have a good time, yaks or not.