Sea Sickness

Ask questions, relay stories, tell us about your boat ...

Moderator: Big_unit

Sea Sickness

Postby bowski » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:45 pm

Just wondering if anyone had a sure fire solution to sea sickness. I am usually pretty good but my girl gets sea sick in a bath tub which makes it hard to get out on the boat and cruise around.

I have tried the tablets and they don't do anything for her.

Suggestions would be much appreciated.

Cheers
bowski

Re: Sea Sickness

Postby SkyeWarrior » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:04 pm

Hey, tough break. My missus swears by ginger beer. Years ago she tried a couple of the more common pills from the chemist, and the couple of times she forgot she reckons it was actually worse when she took them.

Let's face it. If you're on the water you need to drink anyway :D A slightly left of centre suggestion. Let her do the driving :P

Good luck,
Stevo
SkyeWarrior
Beginner
Beginner

Postby clutter » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:52 pm

A sure fire way is don't go out but on the serious side there are the over the counter things like Quells and Travelcarm and as mentioned ginger is good too. Most things have a bit of a side effect but if they don't work there are also prescription medicines that work wonders also. My brother in law goes green in a tub also but his meds work wonders on him.

Cheers MC
clutter
Angler
Angler

Postby Cold_Beer » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:20 pm

Strawberry jam sandwiches with no butter
Cold_Beer
Beginner
Beginner

Postby fishtragic » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:12 pm

I've been on the ocean recreationally and commercially for over 40 years and I don't know anyone that gets sea sick easier than I do so I consider myself an average fisherman but an expert on sea sickness. I read an article written in a fishing mag. many years ago by the great Dick Lewers(my saviour). Dick spoke of his prevention system to ward off the lurgy and I have sworn by it ever since, although an individuals physiology may mean that it works better for some than others. Personally I've ridden out 70+kn gales and 12m seas without a hint of sickness (I've been sea sick in Lake Macquarie before I found this system). Here goes.

Step 1:
If I'm going out the next day I take one Travacalm original the night before (this step is assuming that it will be an average to rough day tomorrow), If a reasonably good day is forecast, I skip this step.

Step 2:
I take one tablet as soon as I get up and another about a half hour before boarding the boat. Then one tablet every three hours or so during the day. Only 1 or 2 may be needed for the whole day if it's calm to moderate.

Step 3:
Thats the drugs taken care of but diet is equally as important if not more so. Citrus and dairy products are the enemy of mal de mer sufferers. No milk or orange juice etc. (including the night before and breakfast- a dash in a cup of tea or coffee is OK).
EAT PLENTY. Keeping your stomach full is the trick. Having said that, Saos and sandwiches etc. (dry foods) are best. Try to eat regularly or nibble all day.
I have no interest or ulterior motive for naming 'Travacalm Original' other than that I have tried all the others and they are the ONLY ones that work for me.

That's about it, although it works for me without side effects some people suffer from the advertised side effects of drowsiness (half a tablet almost puts my wife to sleep) so with children or some ladies cut the tablet intake to half a pill per time. On the down side you WILL be constipated after 3 or 4 of these tablets but you can deal with that later.
I must stress that this is what I do and it works for me. It may or may not work for others and it may be wise to get professional advise before trying it given that others may have other underlying medical issues to consider.
fishtragic

Postby Steve Morgan » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:43 pm

Good advice, FT - I'm sure all sufferers appreciate it!

SM
ABT
ph:(07) 3387 0888
fax: (07) 3887 0889
Steve Morgan
B&B Admin
B&B Admin

Postby Kanfish » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:19 am

This will sound off base as well but the best cure for a fisherman for sea sickness is to actually catch fish, the adrenaline released actually combats the effects of sea sickness better than almost anything, however all of the advise here is spot on.

My missus suffers from the same ailment and I have been a victim of the technicolour yawn myself on occasion so best suggestion I can give you is to ask your family doctor as he can prescribe far more powerful travel medication than you can buy over the counter. An anti-emetic (nausea tablet) is usually a good thing to have on hand as well as these can be used if the travel meds have no effect.

Everyone is different and no one solution usually works for those badly affected. I was once told to suck on an oddfellows mint the entire time out and was sick the entire time (Chuck tasted better though). Ginger works for some and not others. Acupuncture works as well sometimes.
Pimp my Lure, Impact Tackle, Kanfish Reel Maintenance, Pimp my Reel

Jami K
Kanfish
Keen Angler
Keen Angler

Return to General Boating Discussion